Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Ochiba~Con

Closed Thread
Unread 07-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
Dart:Dense Boy
Horses+Cosplay=Poor

Con Report: The good and the bad and your fav costume :P

Okay so I totally think we need a thread on here for a con report (that and I can figure out who everyone was that we met there).

The Good:

Dance was AWESOME - the limbo contest, multiple congo lines, the glow stick volleyball, and the funny event of our Vash slipping and ripping a hole in his pants (pretty sure the pants would have been ripped in half if it wasn't for the zipper 0.o)

Cosplay Panel - I loved the panel (Go the twins - laura and steph) and it was really impressive to see a panelist bring their stuff in when doing a talk.

Armour Panel - Soo helpful and was very informative, especially with all the inside rigging of some of those costumes. And really cool we were told how to vacuum form things. It will help me greatly for my next two costumes.

Meeting new people and getting funny looks when we all went to teh mandarin for dinner ("are there going to be more of you dressed like this?" "yes" "Here's your table" - in the furthest corner possible from everything (window, doors, etc lol). And someone calling our Kiba a pokemon (huh?).

The free cake - yes everyone the cake wasn't a lie!

The Bad:

We got lost coming back to NAF on sunday (yes i could navigate in the dead of night with no street signs but in the day time - i got lost)

I will say up front that this is my first small anime convention (i've been to a couple small gaming etc ones) but I was disappointed with some of the aspects of this con.

I thought that in the 5th year, there would be a bit more to do and more than 30 - 40 people. I understand the small dealers room and artist room but I was still alittle disappointed - we bought a weekend pass that cost $30 (plus gas money to get there) and I don't know if it was really worth that amount of money.

Our group was lost for a good part of saturday (there were no maps, most people had to lead us around the building to get us to the rooms).

The thing that really annoyed me was, when we went to the wrap up panel when the organizers were going over what improvements could be made, etc. there was mention of hall costume awards. The organizer then said that no one had a decent costume that wasn't entered in the masquerade. Now I really have to disagree with that (ok yes i had a costume too - i didnt go in the masquerade and i though mine was pretty good so I'm a little offended) However there were a bunch more cosplayers that were in good costumes (the trio of roxas/roxi, the kiba, the mushroom kingdom group (luigi,mario, peach and daisy), the many host club people, havoc (FMA), etc) that didn't go in the masquerade. So that was really sad to hear because it gives the impression they weren't paying attention to anyone.

The side note of funny: I apologize to everyone that it rained on the sunday, I made the mistake of "water bending" at the dance. For the record it's rained that evening or the next day the past 5 times I've worn that costume and have played around pretending to waterbend. The costume has now been retired lol

*Never judge anyone until you've walked a mile in their cosplay shoes :P* Those things are painful!

Unread 07-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
TotoToshiya

I agree with you on all the points you made.
The dance was uber fun.

Highlights for me:
The bands: Enchanter and Spider's Kiss were freakin awesome!!!!!! Hoshi Furu.... oook XD Special, it was their 2nd show ever, so they have lots to learn.
But Enchanter was amazing!!!! I wouldn't be surprise if they made it up to becoming famous or something, I really enjoyed listening to their songs and ESPECIALLY THEIR COVERS!!! Dir en grey, Girugamesh, Nightmare, and X Japan!!! Omg I fell in love right there! A true Jrock band, well Chinese, but heavily "HEAVILY" Influenced by Jrock and should have been booked by Anime North.
Spider's Kiss, great as always. Nice seeing them again and hanging out! Will miss that they wont be together anymore ;.; Their new cd is wicked!

When I walked into the Student centre at 10am for Enchanter... there was only Spider's Kiss and the bands GF's/BF's. Im like... theres noone else here ._. Ima go grab ppl! So I did muahaha.
The bassist of Enchanter is my Heroine on bass, she was amazing, she has mad skill and she gave me sheets of music she used for Dir en grey cover ^^.

Meeting new people was awesome. Everyone! We have a new term now, if we get drunk at night and can't wake up in the morning or happen to be late for an event the next day, you have pulled off a "Mark Hamilton" XD we love you Mark.

I loved the rooms we stayed at, I find it better then a hotel for some reason O.o It was chill.

Down points: Yes the location in the building was impossible for my friends and I to find. We got there at 5pm friday wondering where it would be held since we came from Ottawa. So I had to call Mark and ask where exactly we go to wait for him and others.

Lack of people? Maybe it was how the weather started out on that day maybe? Im not sure, I was hoping to see a little bit more people.

All in all I had mucho's fun
Great seeing some old faces and meeting new people.
I had fun hosting my Gothic and Lolita Panel XD Omg talking straight for an hour and a half can really make your mouth dry lol.

for the location, it's being switched to a new wing of the college. A better place that is more easy to get to cuz it sticks out and it's easier to get to the rooms and easier to get to the Student centre :]
Unread 07-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
Mekou
Meow~

>> The thing that really annoyed me was, when we went to the wrap up panel when the organizers were going over what improvements could be made, etc. there was mention of hall costume awards. The organizer then said that no one had a decent costume that wasn't entered in the masquerade.

There's a huge misunderstanding here. I said that "we did have hall cosplay awards, but we didn't give any out". I didn't mean to imply that there was no one deserving, because there certainly was (I was so happy with everyone I saw in costume ^_^). It was just something I decided on too last minute to plan anything, so it ended up not happening at all.

Really, what I should have said was "I have them here with me at the con (in the binder that has all the Masq stuff), but I didn't intend to use them this year unless the Masquerade didn't happen."

Next year there will be Hall Cosplay added to programming, and things will be planned out, but that's next year.

>> Now I really have to disagree with that (ok yes i had a costume too - i didnt go in the masquerade and i though mine was pretty good so I'm a little offended) However there were a bunch more cosplayers that were in good costumes (the trio of roxas/roxi, the kiba, the mushroom kingdom group (luigi,mario, peach and daisy), the many host club people, havoc (FMA), etc) that didn't go in the masquerade. So that was really sad to hear because it gives the impression they weren't paying attention to anyone.

Your Katara costume was very nice, but like I just explained, none were given out not because no one was deserving, but because they weren't intended to be used unless The Masq didn't happen. We wanted more people to enter the Masq, but unfortunately this year was the lowest number of entries ever.

The Mushroom Kingdom group actually WAS supposed to be in the Masquerade, but just we we were heading to the Student Centre for green room, we saw them all leaving (out of costume) in a van. We also asked the KH people to be in the Masq, but they were doing something for CNA.

I'm very sorry you were offended, and I'm sorry to anyone else who was offended. Things will be better planned next year, and if anyone wants to help with that then please, by all means, help out to make sure things do happen. ^_^

Anime North 2013
- Fionna (Adventure Time)
- GT Jade (Homestuck)

--
Con/Event Photos / CosplayLab / DeviantArt / Tumblr
Unread 07-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
Dart:Dense Boy
Horses+Cosplay=Poor

Thank you for the clear up Mekou, that's makes a lot more sense and there were lots of people talking so I may have misheard you a little too. But that's really does clear things up, and if I had know the entries were that low and i knew the stage area was smaller - i'm a tad shy by myself I probably would have done something by myself or we would have beaten out nightcrawler over the head and put her in her costume by force and done our skit lol.

I'm sad we missed the bands, we got there later on saturday, because somebody overslept :P and we had to grab food away from the convention (because we didn't know food was there) - we also didn't know where they were so we did a couple other things.

*Never judge anyone until you've walked a mile in their cosplay shoes :P* Those things are painful!
Unread 07-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #5
Tsukasa_1

Meeting new people was awesome. Everyone! We have a new term now, if we get drunk at night and can't wake up in the morning or happen to be late for an event the next day, you have pulled off a "Mark Hamilton" XD we love you Mark.

What I did the night before the con by getting drunk was inexcusable and very unprofessional of me and defiantly not a proud moment. It is something that will not happen again. (even though it was a highlight for some)

Mark W. Hamilton
President | Le président du Comité
Ochiba~Con Organizing Committee | Ochiba~Con Comité organisateur
Tel / Tél.: 289-315-3908 | Fax / Teléc.: 888-859-0891
Mark.Hamilton@northernanime.ca | www.ochibacon.ca

Ochiba~con a division of Northern Anime Festival inc.
Unread 08-25-2008, 01:15 PM   #6
xPandax

The good:

My personal favorite panel was the Ouran panel. Every year it's awesome. Best moment ever: Honey and I had a cake fight. Well, I was dressed as L, you see. And Claire knew that L likes cake too. So I'm sitting at the table with her, and out of the blue, she gets up and yells, "OH MY GOSH, DO YOU WANT TO HAVE A CAKE FIGHT?!" So of course, I told my sister to take pictureS, and she takes ONE. And it wasn't even good!

The bad:

Even though my sister and I went to NAF last year, we still got lost. The funniest thing is: MY DAD TOLD US EXACTLY WHERE TO GO!
Unread 08-25-2008, 07:44 PM   #7
box of doom
Loli-Shota Type

Good:
The Ouran stuffs -- We had a great group doing the hosting this year! I feel like I wasn't as good a host as I could have been sometimes... darn the whole being shy thing! But I had an awesome time, and I hope those that came and visited us did too. There were so many great moments from that, from the really weird coffee (with sprinkles and jello, IIRC), to the very brand of tea I bought without thinking (red rose... lol), to HAVING A MORI (*squeeeee I was so afraid I wouldn't!*), to... the death note, and usa-chan playing with friends, and the cake fight and... umm.... lots of things. =D

The dance -- Always a fun time. Even if i am a wallflower by nature. XD

The 404s -- How can I not love the thing that gave us "SHING!" And "the twins" doing Moving People. And I got to take part in the last game~!

The "stargate" -- My friends and I take a picture every year in front of the lovely metal circle. =D It's always fun times.

The bad:

I didn't really get to go to many panels outside of my own.

I had a small... not really a panic attack, but basically required me to step outside for about fifteen minutes early Sunday afternoon.

I think I left a tupperware container at the con... T_T

Honestly, like has been said before, more signage around the campus would be good, as would a bit more organization in some other areas (I could mention a few specifics, but I don't think this is the time or place). And perhaps more staffing. :S
But I love this little con and love you guys that run it.

Congrats on year 5!
Closed Thread