Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Ouran High School Host Club

Unread 07-03-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
Itachi/Lfanatic
Needs Moar CHEEZEBURGER!

Dying a new coat? PLZ help!

Ok-I got this new jacket today, but its the wrong color. the good news is that its a creamy color and I want to change that to a turquoise for my Ouran jacket. another thing is the collar is a different shape.

so my question is can anyone give me any suggestions on store brands (please no online stores-I don't have a paypal) that have turqoise dyes and maybe a little help on how to cut/sew together the collar?
-Black Parade Girl (My Chemical Romance OC)-100%
-Kaoru Hitachiin(OHSHC)-100%
-Husker Ninja (Nebras'kon mascot)-100% *Retired*
-L (Death Note)-100% *Retired*
Itachi/Lfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

What is it made of? If it's polyester or acrylic, there's a good chance you are out of luck, as those fibers can't be easily dyed at home. (Some people have been able to do it using very, very hot water, but that's likely to damage any interfacings, shoulder pads, etc. in an already-completed garment.)

ETA: Also, if it's lined and the lining (or the thread, for that matter) is made out of polyester or acrylic, it won't take dye either, even if the shell will.

www.suspiciouscloset.com

Last edited by Koumori : 07-03-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

As for the collar, (assuming you can dye the coat) it would help if you post a picture of it and a reference picture of how you want it to look (the collar and lapels of OHH jackets are different between the anime and manga).
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
Itachi/Lfanatic
Needs Moar CHEEZEBURGER!

oooh, m'kay!

Koumori-its actually cotton, w/ 3% spandex (thank teh Cosplay Gods)

and for The Hag-http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/shopmycloset/shopmycloset2/greenbambooblazer.jpg this is what the collar looks somewhat like-but not so close to the shoulders (btw-couldn't link it from here or find better pic-pic not really what my coat looks like)

but I'd like it to look like this: http://photobucket.com/image/ouran%2...p13wy9.jpg?o=9

I hope the first pic helps, but if not-just tell me and I'll try and find another one ^_^ thanks again for helping out!
Unread 07-05-2008, 07:07 AM   #5
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Well, it would be better to see a picture of your actual coat. But based on your ref pic it looks like you have extra fabric to work with (lapel and collar are wider than you want) which is a good thing.

The questions I would have are: Is the collar a separate piece from the lapel? If not, it will be a fair amount of work to alter (at least, more than I'm willing to explain on a forum post!) If they are, is the collar one piece or two pieces? That is - is there an upper layer stitched to an under layer or one piece folded in half? Same question for the front facing. If there is a seam all along the edge (that is, the facing and the under collar are separate pieces) I would just rip open that seam, trim the lapel and collar to the correct shape leaving a seam allowance and then top stitch it back together tucking in the new seam allowance. If not, then you will have to cut the fabric apart (essentially make a new seam) then trim it and restitch.

Honestly? If I had a jacket that was the wrong color and had the wrong collar/lapel, I'd just look for a different jacket. ):
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
Itachi/Lfanatic
Needs Moar CHEEZEBURGER!

oooh, m'kay! thanxies so much for the advice! I guess I'll have to settle for the ones on ebay ^_^ thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.