Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.79 average.
Unread 07-06-2008, 03:44 AM   #1
Jedi_Pink
JP~

What do your parents think about you crossplaying?

Probably a thread like this somewhere already, but I'd just like to know anyway what your parents, boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife, roommate, whatever, thinks about you crossplaying.

I haven't said much about it to my grandparents, but when it was brought up once, my grandma...well, I'm not exactly sure what she thought, but she did laugh and say, "Aren't you a little curvy for that?" >.>
Yes, I am a rather curvy girl. But I can hide that, I swear. D:

Anyway...I just want to know what people think about you as a crossplayer. Are they okay with it, totally creeped out, or could they care less?
Jedi_Pink is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-07-2008, 06:02 AM   #2
Doryuu_Kun123

uh... im not planning on cross dressing every time... but once in a wile.

if i were to do that and i told my parents. they will think im a total gay lord. and hate me forever >.>

and my dad said once that theres no need for gay people.
in this world. they shuld all go to hell.
im like 0_0 nuh uh.
but trying new things is good for you :P even in public.
Doryuu_Kun123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
Frey
Like a Boss

No one thinks twice about me crossplaying. My friends all do it too, and my mom doesn't really seem to think there's anything wrong with it. I have gone as girls in the past, but there are just so many male options ahead of me...

I suppose it would be weird to me to think that someone would have a problem with me crossplaying, but then again, I don't really bring up the subject with those who aren't interested in cosplay-related things, anyway. *shrug*

.:: Kanda Yuu (D.Gray-man) ::.
.:: Emperor Kuzco (The Emperor's New Groove) ::.
Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
Emmyla
the pdolch

Mine don't mind. They're all pretty supportive of me :3 [Though I still think they all think it's a phase. -shrugs-]
My mom is helping, actually xD I asked if we had any Ace bandages, and she was like, "To tape your boobs down? You know you'll need help with that." I giggled D: I was like, oh, mom, you silly goose.

1st Gen. Sabrina:: Pokemon - in progress
Princess Mononoke:: Princess Mononoke
Kyoya:: Ouran High School Host Club
Howl:: Howl's Moving Castle

But I wouldn't take this signature seriously.
Plans change from day to day!

Emmyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2008, 01:09 AM   #5
Jedi_Pink
JP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by iruka View Post
uh... im not planning on cross dressing every time... but once in a wile.

if i were to do that and i told my parents. they will think im a total gay lord. and hate me forever >.>

and my dad said once that theres no need for gay people.
in this world. they shuld all go to hell.
im like 0_0 nuh uh.
but trying new things is good for you :P even in public.
Holy smokes...your dad has quite the view on gay people. D:
In my opinion, that's no way to look at it. I guess I'm just not one to hold it against people if they're gay though...
And not to be offensive in any manner at all, but I hope your parents lighten up some. D8
Jedi_Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
Kaifuku_Ryu
Retired Cosplayer

My parents (especially my dad) already think that I am mentally a boy (and I am), but they do not know about crossplay. My mom wouldn't mind at all, she's very understand and supportive of most of my hobbies, but my father is the "normal life" nazi.

They know that I go to conventions, but they don't know what costumes I wear. XD
Unread 07-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #7
kitsune shojo
also known as roughkiss

I'm not sure if they know or not. o_0 They've only ever seen my Rukia Kuchiki all together and on so I don't know. I'm fairly sure my little brothers told my mom about it, but she hasn't said anything, so I think I'm ok. My mom is generally against the whole anime thing in general though... My dad couldn't care less and would probably help with my costumes if I'd ask.
Unread 07-10-2008, 09:14 AM   #8
*_kurohebi_*
Resin-addicted

.w. my mom don't really like me crossplaying... but she still helps me... XD she helped me tape last con, lol. but after that she went "don't keep tapin your boobs, cos it'll stunt their development!" XD and stuff like that... <3

my aunt knows too, lol. (SHE LIEKS MY WIG. 8D)

.w. both kinda...don't get why I has to bind to crossplay... =3= but still, they kinda support, lol.

...dad. >.> *sigh* the first time I asked him for bandages(he had bandages left from his first aid course) he looked at me funny and went "...what for?" I said "eh...well... I'm cossing a guy. and....guys don't have boobs. >.>"

XD he didnt' talk to me for the whole day after that. well he did, after calling me a madwoman. =3= still... he's just generally un-supportive of cosplay...(8D HE LIEKS MY WIG TOO THO. XD)
*_kurohebi_* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #9
Queen Anime 99
Call me Queenie. :D

Since I don't get out too often (Lolz. Hermit), my dad likes the fact that I go to conventions. He doesn't care how I'm dressed as long as I'm not nearly naked. (Which is no problem because I don't like tight and/or revealing clothes)

Like my dad, my mom likes the fact that I go to conventions, but since I'm kinda androgynous, she doesn't like the fact that I often crossplay, but she doesn't stop me. I often have to tell my mom over and over that I'm not crossplaying to be a guy. I actually LIKE the character...and most of the characters I like just happen to be guys. (My mom is always like "Why do you want to be a boy!?!?" >_< <--- Mum's facial expression) Of course, I shut my mom up when I did a "Princess" version of a female character and I wore a lavender skirt. XD

My younger brother thinks I'm a nerd no matter what I wear, so crossplay certainly doesn't bother him. XD

Anime Weekend Atlanta 2013
Will Graham (Hannibal) - Saturday & Sunday

MomoCon 2014
1. Generic Ninja - Saturday
2. Will Graham (Hannibal) - Sunday
Queen Anime 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 09:03 PM   #10
Sunarry
~Heartless Need Love Too~

My parents could care less about me crossplaying.My mom even said this: "I don't care if you want to dress up like a guy as long as you still like them and I get grandkids, then crossplay all you want."
*Nya*
Sunarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #11
x.Almasy.x
Almasy

My dad has a good laugh every time I come out of my room dressed as a guy.
He secretly wishes I was born a boy because I do more stuff with him (hunting, being a full blown bloke, etc) more than my older brother.
He likes my Reno wig and so does my mum, my brothers girlfriend almost had a heart attack when she first saw it though ;_;
x.Almasy.x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #12
jennarose
Yeah.

Lawl. I think my mom is pretty supportive. I mean really...if she knew more about the characters I crossplay then she may understand why I do mostly crossplay (Guy characters = Awesome.).

My dad on the other hand...I don't really think he gets it, but ah well.
jennarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2008, 05:45 AM   #13
DiZenchanted
You tell 'em, Giggles.

My dad doesn't know, since he's off on a ship doing god knows what for the military right now (go Navy?!), and I'm sure he'd have pretty much the same reaction as my mom.

My mom is kinda like, "Wth...", but I don't think she really minds too much. And as long as my grandmother doesn't find out, I'm okay. Grandma would either think I was a transvestite or give me sewing tips (I would love the latter, btw).

I'm Working On It:
-- Roxas : 10%

Everything else comes later.
DiZenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2008, 10:25 AM   #14
-GlacialMai-
I SMELL LIKE AWESOME.

XD Honestly, I don't think my mom knows that I crossplay guys. She is pretty supportive of cosplaying in general, since she'll drive an hour and a half each way to let me go to local meetups. But, she just doesn't want me doing something drastic and spur-of-the-moment for a cosplay. [i.e. when I cut six inches off of my 10 inch hair, she immediatly asked me if it was for a cosplay. I denied truthfully!! =.=;; ]

Though, seeing as she worked for Hanes and that kind of thing, she will get me cheap sports bras and stuff. XD But, she is okay with cosplaying overall. o-o As for CROSSPLAYING? >.> I don't think she realizes they're boys yet.

Last edited by -GlacialMai- : 08-21-2008 at 04:52 PM.
-GlacialMai- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #15
CaseyLynch
Guitar Hero

I can't tell my parents, thankfully enough I don't live with them.
CaseyLynch is offline   Reply With Quote