Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.73 average.
Unread 11-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #196
claire1909
MAN SAE

Well, the main issue with my parents were cosplay itself.

My mom thought I was crazy trying use 100 bucks on a costume.

Once I persuaded her that cosplay was okay, she didn't have much problems with me cosplaying as a guy or girl.
My first cosplay was actually a guy...XDD
claire1909 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #197
an deiner Seite
Hell doesn't love them.

meh, my mom doesn't really care XD

I use her leg/knee/whatever bandages for binding :]

Stocking - Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
Rikku - Final Fantasy X
Frodo Baggins - Lord of the Rings
Baby - House of 1000 Corpses/the Devil's Rejects (for Zombie Walk)
an deiner Seite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 04:20 AM   #198
SabienStrange
likes italian sharks

I always see this thread floating around, but I've never posted in it. o.O

My mom doesn't care, as I cross-dress on a daily basis, and even when I started doing that she was all "Oh...okay...Make sure you get the dishes done once your done shopping for suits." xDD
She freaks out more about why there's cardboard scraps all over my floor from my last project,
Than about me running out of the house dressed like Bondage!Alucard (and that's including the platforms, the leash and collar and all the other shit that hangs off of me).

So long as I get my homework done and all that, she's cool with whatever, and she's been demanding pictures from cons ever since she helped me make a 5 foot cross for a Wolfwood cosplay. xD
I wanna have her help me out with more of my props in the future too;
She likes to be involved in my life, which is a double edged sword,
But I'd like her to be a part of the things that I find enjoyable in my life, I think that'd make her feel really special. x3
SabienStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #199
PhoenixStarr44
holding all the cards

Man, sounds like some of your parents are really cool!

When my mom found out I was dressing up as male characters (specifically, Zidane, and let's face it, he's the most girly masculine character EVER), she forbade me from cosplaying (she already had a problem with that, anyway), accused me of wanting to get a sex change operation, and thereafter worried constantly that I was secretly a lesbian.

I think she still thinks I secretly want to be a man full-time. Nothing could be further from the truth (except, you know, during the usual monthly).

UPCOMING CONS:
NYCC 2012, AUSA 2012
UPCOMING COSTUMES:
The Signless Sufferer (homestuck), Sn0wman (homestuck)
PhoenixStarr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #200
~FatalDreams~

Funny story....

A while back, my MOTHER was actually the first one to say to me, "Hey you should make a Sephiroth outfit!" I kid you not. Heck, she even said I look good as a guy, it was hysterical! She supports the hobby as long as I don't take it overboard (like paying 400 dollars for a costume when I KNOW I can make it myself).

My father? Eh, he's getting used to it. Slowly XD
~FatalDreams~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #201
sakuragirlram
DaikonChili

My mother tends to ask me after I tell her a character I wish to cosplay, "And that's a girl?" Usually, I reply, "No. It's a guy." and she'll get a wee bit pissy with me. The only boy cosplay she never pestered me about was Marth, because she believes that he is feminine, but when I announced that I wanted to be Pyramid HEad, it was a different story... She asked, "Why can't you be a nurse with your friend?" "Do you HAVE to tape your chest down?" "Why can't you be a pretty girl instead of a killing monster man?" But I don't think she really cares most of the time. My dad sure doesn't... it's, "Cool, we making any swords?' from him.
Unread 11-22-2008, 09:29 PM   #202
anime1addict

xD; i'm not really sure...i'm pretty sure they wouldn't be thrilled about it though

aaand i know for a fact my friends think it's reallllly weird .__. sadly. i don't have to many friends that're into anime at all
anime1addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #203
Blood_Sword
The samuraiholic guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuragirlram View Post
My mother tends to ask me after I tell her a character I wish to cosplay, "And that's a girl?" Usually, I reply, "No. It's a guy." and she'll get a wee bit pissy with me. The only boy cosplay she never pestered me about was Marth, because she believes that he is feminine, but when I announced that I wanted to be Pyramid HEad, it was a different story... She asked, "Why can't you be a nurse with your friend?" "Do you HAVE to tape your chest down?" "Why can't you be a pretty girl instead of a killing monster man?" But I don't think she really cares most of the time. My dad sure doesn't... it's, "Cool, we making any swords?' from him.
That's funny!

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Luxray (gijinka) - Pokémon

*~Next con I'm attending~*
SWE Skecon (4-6 July 2014)
FRI Sōji Okita (violet yukata version) - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
SAT Gakupo Kamui (original kimono) - Vocaloid
SUN Sōji Okita (summer uniform) - Hakuōki SSL ~Sweet School Life~
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #204
ExplodingClay
Overdramatic weirdo :D

Hmmm, My parents don't care one bit.. I think they realize that i could be into much worse stuff then just dressing as someone of the opposite gender. My mom is constantly listening to me complain about the fact that most... NOT ALL... but most girls in anime shows/games are kinda more on the wimpy side... There are girls that i was cosplay tho.. No need to be offended =P lol. I remember when i was in crossplay once, I was talking about my character to my sister and she was like "Wait... Your currently a boy?... Wow. Your a pretty gay looking boy." But hey, I'm ok with that =D
ExplodingClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2008, 08:15 PM   #205
hedgehog92
Is Trouble With Tribbles

Well, in general, my parents think I'm a nerd for both crossplaying AND cosplaying, but they also think that since I'm actually getting off my butt and going to get the stuff done that I need, and come up with a lot of cute stuff without their help, they really don't mind. They have always called me the boy of the family (especially my two sisters) so now it's a better excuse..

Sarah: "You look like a man!"

Me: "Thank you, I'm actually trying now."

My anime friends are all really supportive and crossplay with me, so that's not a big issue....

But on the other side:

My entire school thinks I'm a freak. ^^ Seriously, one Bald cap and a fake beard and suddenly you are the subject of gossip for the next week. It was great walking through the hallways and hearing the whispers...

XP Well, all my band friends and such now are a little O.o near me, but they can go fall off a cliff. Luckily no one I didn't already know(Seniors or underclassmen) recognized me after or I'd be getting so many freakin questions XD
hedgehog92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2008, 08:33 PM   #206
max-w00tage

For women it's a tad less lowly regarded I find. my family doesn't care.. most male anime characters are a tad effeminate anyhow. And I personally don't think that there's anything wrong with it.
max-w00tage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2008, 10:05 PM   #207
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Hmm, I'll state the thoughts of my family and boyfriend individually:
Mom- Doesn't mind at all. She's used to me being a bit tomboyish, and thinks that me making costumes is great. She even helped me fix my breastbinder (the "control-top pantyhose" version) so it wouldn't cut into my skin.
Dad- Thinks cosplaying in general is a weird and fairly time-wasting hobby, but of the few occasions he's actually seen me in an actual cosplay, he doesn't seem to care too much.
Boyfriend- Won't give out much PDA when I'm crossplaying, but other than that he doesn't really care. Usually he just compliments me on a cosplay well done. I don't really act too masculine while crossplaying (and all my characters have been the bishie types), so he only ever had one statement of dislike. Halloween in my Zexion cosplay, I was trying to hold hands while we were walking but he wasn't letting me, when I asked why he said "You look like a GUY, it's just WEIRD!" and waited until we were in a more secluded spot.
Other relatives; They either don't have a clue, they don't realize my character is a guy, or they don't care. I never really asked and don't care to.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2008, 04:23 AM   #208
Akira Reborn
NOW known as Onikage.

My parents don't really know and understand cosplay very well...

I'm sure i might have said something about dressing up etc but not crossplay.

my friends know though...XDD

when my parents know. man it's going to be awkward.

I bet my mum will laugh haha!
Akira Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2008, 07:58 AM   #209
ChibiTenshi
Aww Barf!

I mentioned crossplay to my mom some time ago. I mentioned it when I told her that my friend was going to go as Satoshi from DNAngel and she went all: "She's going as a guy?" I said yes and she just shrugged and shook her head.

"You kids and your costumes..."

I lol'ed. XD

Planned for 2010:

Ciel Phantomhive from Kuroshitsuji (tentative)
Echo from Pandora Hearts (tentative)
Agitha the Bug Princess from LoZ: Twilight Princess (0%-planned)
ChibiTenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2008, 12:33 PM   #210
ladymatsuya
Is it naptime yet?

Like I said before, my parents don't care so much. However, I was at a friend's house yesterday and was talking about my crossplay plans, and her mother looked at me and told me that it was "dyke-ish". Seriously. I can't believe people actually get that weirded out by a costume. @_@
IT'S A COSTUME, PEOPLE
ladymatsuya is offline   Reply With Quote