Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.80 average.
Unread 07-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #16
EgnirysFaye
Knows all your secrets

My parents are totally fine and very supportive - They love seeing my completed costumes and my mom especially loves the fact that I can sew just like her. And she even enjoys seeing convention photos/vids XD

Heck, I dress up as a male soldier occassionaly for work when I'm not in a period dress (I work as a guide/interpretor at a 19th century fort) and my dad just had to come by take pictures, saying it's like I'm doing my military service lmao since he was in the military back in Finland years ago. So yeah...everyone I know so far, including family and friends, find it very interesting. My parents never cared about having a daughter/son sort of thing (Though they love the fact that I'm a tough girl, moreso than most boys! and are proud of me) so maybe it helps.

Future/In Progress Cosplays:
||Lyanna (95%) ::Game of Thrones ASOIAF||King Canute::Vinland Saga
|| ? ::Once Upon a Time || Princess Tutu::Princess Tutu{Coppelia}||Louise Belcher::Bob's Burger's
EgnirysFaye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #17
Rougette

My mom's fine with it ( It's partly her that made me want to crossplay, I put my hair up one day and when she walked into the room she stopped and yelled "Oh god, you look like boy!" and then proceeded to go and get my dad's clothes so she could dress me up as a guy xDD)
My dad doesn't care, he just says "Alright, have fun dressing up like pokemon characters" According to him every anime is called pokemon.
>_<
Rougette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #18
Xailyn
In ur blog, takin it over

My mom thinks it means I'm getting a sex change...Or at least, she thought that when I first started to crossplay. She's used to it now because I tend to cosplay as EXTREMELY effeminate men. XD

Movie Ticket Prussia(APH)-95%
Austrian Succession Prussia(APH)-40%
Character CD Prussia(APH)-100%
Agni (Kuroshitsuji)-20%
Ramona Flowers (Scott Pilgrim)-80%
Makoto (TWEWY)-75%
East Prussia(APH Fanon)-100%
Luxembourg(APH Fanon)-45%
Panzer Prussia (APH)-95%

orz So much Hetalia!!

"Welcome to the APH fandom. Where we all schlick to countries beating the shit out of each other. Except for those few guys who get to fap."[/size]
Xailyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #19
~otaku-hime~
made with awesomesauce

I don't think my parents think it's that weird. My dad has gotten used to my weirdness. Although my grandma doesn't think it's very becoming of me lol. She thinks that I should dress up as characters like Zelda.
Unread 07-11-2008, 09:52 PM   #20
Jedi_Pink
JP~

So, it looks like most of you are generally supported by your parents, even if they're a little weirded out by the whole thing...xD;;

Well, I'm going to my first convention this September, so I wanted to cosplay...well, crossplay more accurately, but I don't know what exactly my grandparents will think when they see I'm serious about wanting to crossplay. ^^'
So yeah, at least reading that most of you are supported was oddly helpful...xD

I do have one excuse for preferring to dress up as a boy over a girl: Most anime/video game girls that I actually like tend to wear short skirts and tank tops, or something along those lines. And I am so cold natured, that even though it's July and I live in a really hot area, I still wear a jacket. So how do you think I'd survive in a miniskirt? xD

Anyway, thanks again for your replies. 8D
Jedi_Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2008, 09:58 PM   #21
Kaifuku_Ryu
Retired Cosplayer

Hell, no. I'm not.

My dad would kill me if he saw me dressed as a boy. He's never seen me in costume, much less Gackt (which is my most often cosplay, done it for years), who he calls "Japanese fag."
Unread 07-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #22
hooraytheweird
Bad Wolf

My dad doesn't mind at all. He's pretty chill about all my costumes, from the most masculine, to the most slutty. (I once walked up to him at a con in a short skirt, knee high goth boots, lace thigh highs, a corset and collar, attached to a guy in a cape with his wrists bound together whom my dad had never met, and was like, "Hey, going to the atrium." "'Kay. I'll be here.") My mom...well, she doesn't REALLY like me crossplaying, but to her, me in boys clothing is better than me in some of the female outfits I've done. Her stance is, "Can't you just dress up in a nice costume for once?" But since she's not the one I rely on for cons (thank god) it doesn't really matter! :3

In the works:

Kaoru, Ouran High School Host Club (98%) [premiered at Oni-Con '08]
Steampunk Costume, clothes (35%), equipment/props (45%) [most likely to premiere at Steam-Con San Antonio '09]

"I manned up and ate those damn wasabi balls!" "...You manned up and cried too."
hooraytheweird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #23
Kaifuku_Ryu
Retired Cosplayer

I feel like I must stress the insulting comment from my dad whenever he refers to the music I listen to. Oh God. He refers to Hyde, Gackt, Miyavi, L'Arc En Ciel, and Dir En Grey as "Japanese fags."

That's just plain out horrible.
Unread 07-12-2008, 03:52 PM   #24
Jedi_Pink
JP~

Woah, Kaifuku...that IS horrible! They aren't fags!! D8
Unread 07-12-2008, 09:08 PM   #25
Kaifuku_Ryu
Retired Cosplayer

All I can say about that is... Look at Miyavi and Gackt-sama...... I'm pretty sure there's something about Gackt that makes him one special bisexual bishounen. And all that does is make me think of yaoi.

But it's still insulting.
Unread 07-12-2008, 10:31 PM   #26
Kairi.nin

I'm relatively surprised that my parents don't really care.. at all. They're quite supportive of me and do everything they can to help me complete my costume.

The only question ever asked was asked by my mom, and it was a simple, "Why do you keep dressing as guys? Because most of the girls wear mini-skirts and dresses?" to which I replied, "Yeah."

And that was the end of that. xD;
Kairi.nin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2008, 10:32 PM   #27
Kaifuku_Ryu
Retired Cosplayer

Lolz
Unread 07-13-2008, 01:40 AM   #28
seeminglyeasy
Burgawinosourus

I understand your position. I'm quite curvy myself. they think it's sort of funny that I like to dress as a guy sometimes. I did it for prom and for a random day of walking around down town. I think it makes them possibly question my sexual preference though. ha ha ^_^
seeminglyeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2008, 01:59 AM   #29
RedeadDie
IMMA ZOMBIE

Truthfully, they don't care. My mother only ever complained about my crossplaying at the start because I was "wasting" money on it. They never saw anything wrong with it and they even let me dress my lil sister in a crossplay I made for her when she was ten!
~Louis Despatis: Honor Amongst Thieves~
~Elliot March: Clover/Joker/Heart no Kuni no Alice~
RedeadDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2008, 02:28 AM   #30
Jedi_Pink
JP~

Kaifuku: Gackt's bi? o.o *didn't know that...then again, doesn't know much about him anyway >_< * Nevertheless, yeah, I agree. That is quite an insult. D:

Kairi.nin: Yeah, the miniskirt and dress thing is something I'm thinking will get my grandparents to allow me to crossplay. xD (not that they'd care if I did wear a miniskirt or dress by any means, but they know that I'd freeze to death--in September--if I did wear something like that. Especially considering I'll be indoors most of the time! And I assume they do have A/C and stuff like that at conventions, neh?)