Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 4.86 average.
Unread 07-13-2008, 03:06 AM   #31
Lady Saru
Marchesa delle Arte

My friends are very supportive, actually encouraging me to crossplay.

My mom is weird about it. She's actually asked "Why can't you be a girl?" when I told her about it. I calmed her down with saying he's a very feminine man, and is mistaken for a woman frequently. However, when discussing binding, she flipped out and said it was bad for my chest. I told her that it wan't, and we finally compromised by saying we'd ask the doctor about it at my next checkup. I'm even willing to bind my chest down in front of her and the doctor to convince her it's safe, but never let on I can't take a deep breath (I don't know why.) Geez, it's going to be hell convincing her to let me go as Nnoitra, with the extent I have to tape down my chest and attach the shirt so it doesn't show.

I dunno about Dad, but his girlfriend is fine with it. She's helping me make my Wonderwice costume.
Phantom!Grell Sutcliffe (Design by Dio)
Subaru [Tsubasa: Tokyo Revelations]

Events:
Fanime 2011

Unofficial twin of Sakurai Atsushi~
Lady Saru is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-13-2008, 03:29 AM   #32
RoxasRoxsMySoxs
Number XIII

Well....My friend actually crossplays with me, so she obviously has no problem with it...

My mom just looked at me and said, "How much is this gonna cost?" She doesn't really mind, she really enjoys the fact that I actually talk to people now...Because of cosplaying.

My dad tends to laugh at me >.< He calls me Roxas often now (Since that's who I crossplay as mostly) and he likes my wigs ^_^; At first though, he thought that I wanted to actually be a guy. I was like, "No, I'm quite fine being a girl, thanks." And he left me alone :P

Cosplay List
  • Roxas - Twilight Town (Kingdom Hearts II)
    Roxas - Organization XIII
    Ciel Phantomhive (Gown) - Kuroshitsuji/ Black Butler
    Madam Red - Kuroshitsuji/ BlackButler
    N. Italy - Axis Powers Hetalia

And there will be more to come!

A scattered memory like a far-off dream.
A far-off dream like a scattered memory.
I want to line the pieces up.
Yours...And mine.
RoxasRoxsMySoxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2008, 11:52 AM   #33
Jedi_Pink
JP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Saru View Post
My friends are very supportive, actually encouraging me to crossplay.

My mom is weird about it. She's actually asked "Why can't you be a girl?" when I told her about it. I calmed her down with saying he's a very feminine man, and is mistaken for a woman frequently. However, when discussing binding, she flipped out and said it was bad for my chest. I told her that it wan't, and we finally compromised by saying we'd ask the doctor about it at my next checkup. I'm even willing to bind my chest down in front of her and the doctor to convince her it's safe, but never let on I can't take a deep breath (I don't know why.) Geez, it's going to be hell convincing her to let me go as Nnoitra, with the extent I have to tape down my chest and attach the shirt so it doesn't show.

I dunno about Dad, but his girlfriend is fine with it. She's helping me make my Wonderwice costume.
Why don't you try open chest binding? It allows you to take a deep breath. That, and you could wear shirts that expose at least part of your chest without anyone seeing any binding at all.
And you can't take a deep breath when bound, dear, because having something wrapped that tightly around your chest simply restricts your breathing to a degree. Just think about it...
It's most uncomfortable to me. x_x Especially considering sometimes I have some trouble breathing anyway. D:
Jedi_Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #34
Lady Saru
Marchesa delle Arte

@Jedi Pink: That's exactly what I've been doing. I do open-chest binding and then carefully cut off any tape that would show. I know it restricts my breathing, but if Mom knew she'd freak. *sigh* Crazy parents....

Events:
Fanime 2011

Unread 07-13-2008, 09:38 PM   #35
Kaifuku_Ryu
Retired Cosplayer

Jedi_Pink:

I've been cosplaying Gackt for years. I usually tend to observe the character I'm cosplaying's behavior. Besides, watch the Vanilla Live video. Not much observing required there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIl85cKtSDg
Unread 07-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #36
TarnishedDream
:3

Heh, there was really no problem with me crossplaying. My parents just think it's kinda funny, and roll their eyes (it's just Katie being weird again). My grandmother didn't even say anything about it being weird when I told her. XP

Actually, at the time I was dressed as Sasuke, my brother was dressing up as Hannah Montana as a joke. So my mom was telling someone about it, and she was like, "Yeah, so my daughter is dressing up like a man and my son is dressing up like a girl. Clearly something is wrong with my parenting." XD
TarnishedDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2008, 09:29 PM   #37
sakuragirlram
DaikonChili

My mom asks me a lot why I crossplay. She doesn't really like the idea of me being a boy. "Why do you dress up as a boy if you're a girl?" She always says. But most of the people I know's parents don't give a damn whether they're a boy a girl or a penguin as long as they have fun with it.
Unread 07-14-2008, 10:26 PM   #38
Jedi_Pink
JP~

Lady Saru: Oh really? Wow...I didn't think open-chest binding would affect your breathing. Well, not much anyway...I suppose any kind of binding could kinda restrict your breathing, if only slightly, though. *shrugs* Maybe...you're binding a little too tight? o.O Meh, I don't know. D: I hope it doesn't ever restrict your breathing too badly though. That wouldn't be good!

Kaifuku: Ah...right... ._. I never watched the Vanilla Live thing before. xD Someone brought it up once, but I never looked into it. ^-^' In all honesty, I'd have to wait until I was the only one awake to watch anything like that. Because if my grandparents or someone else past by the computer and saw me watching that, man, they'd spaz. ._.
Anyway. xD;;
On another note, I'd say observing how the character/person you're cosplaying acts is a good thing. I haven't really done any cosplaying yet, but I do RP with my sister in person, so I try to watch what the characters do, and listen to their speech patterns so I can try to copy them. x3;;
Jedi_Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2008, 10:32 PM   #39
Kaifuku_Ryu
Retired Cosplayer

Jedi_Pink:
Hah. I can relate. My parents would freak too.
Unread 07-14-2008, 11:52 PM   #40
Lady Saru
Marchesa delle Arte

@Jedi Pink: It's not THAT bad, but it's a little noticable. No sprinting for me!

Events:
Fanime 2011

Unread 07-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #41
Wataru
Man Tifa

My parents don't support it, but they don't disapprove either. They take the, "Well, if you wanna be seen like that in public..." attitude. But I think it helped my case the first con I went to when a giant group of crossplayers walked across the street in front of us. xDD

Google is male because it thinks it knows everything. Wikipedia is female, because even when it's wrong, it's right.
~A. Neary

I was born ready!
No, you were just born with disabilities.
~J. Webb/S. Driscoll

Life is not a cosplay!
Sure it is, look, you dressed up like an insurance agent today!
~My dad/me
Wataru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #42
Krista-ism
&gt;3 Muhahah

I stand corrected.
Today I was asking my mom if tailor's can make the cosplay for me.
Because If you knew me I am too lazy to put a needly threw a piece of fabric.
So I show her the picture of Allen and she says
"He's a guy."
Yeah kinda akward after that.
I'm not gunna say anything else.
What I said originally is below

They don't care really.
Plus its my expensive hobby, they have there own so thats a plus.

Last edited by Krista-ism : 07-18-2008 at 12:20 AM. Reason: :p
Krista-ism is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #43
MissAwesome
Zetta Slow Sewer

I asked my mom whether we could get ace bandages on the way home from the fabric store. This was our conversation.

"Can we stop by Walmart or something? I need Ace Bandages. I don't think you want to know why."
"To tape your boobies down?"
<laughs>"...Yes."
"I don't know whether they'll have any, but we can check. We need more dog food anyways."

My mom's pretty supportive, my brother makes fun of me for being more of a nerd than him (he thinks cosplay is the same as LARPing), and my dad just stays out of the way, usually. I don't think he'd care as long as I assure him that I'm still straight.

My friends all crossplay or are thinking of crossplaying anyways (except very few, but they love me anyways), so they're more excited than unsupportive.
Jonah Matsuka (Toward the Terra), Narancia Ghirga (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure), Jun Kurosu (Persona 2: Innocent Sin), Daniel Hall/Dream (The Sandman), Lyude (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean), Kaworu Nagisa (Neon Genesis Evangelion), Ladekahn (Baten Kaitos Origins), Billy "Wiccan" Kaplan (Marvel: Young Avengers)
MissAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 08:26 PM   #44
Mola

My parents dn't really care. I'm going as Mola Ram this Halloween and he's a guy and I went as Vexen and he was a very femenine looking guy but in the end, my parents don't mind if I crossplay. They just wouldn't like knowing I'm trans in the first place though lol.
Mola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2008, 03:59 AM   #45
Srayb_Aniar
Ninja Rave Nurse

I asked my mom a few minutes after reading this and she just said, "No."

I think it's because I already act like a lesbian. O.o

And my dad I don't even need to ask because he's against everything I do. >.>

I'm working around that though.
Using characters that are female but look male.
ie. Haruhi from Host Club

"All work and no cosplay makes Jack a dull boy."
-http://thesurrealist.co.uk

Upcoming Cons:
MechaCon 2011

Upcoming Cosplays:
Sailor Pluto

Ich liebe liebe liebe dich~

Srayb_Aniar is offline   Reply With Quote