Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.80 average.
Unread 08-13-2008, 10:23 AM   #76
Shiromiro
Delicious Flat Chest

Mine didn't even begin to consider I've been crossplaying, let alone crossdressing until I was old enough to legally drink. At that point, I pretty much sat back and laughed endlessly at their reactions.

Mom was pretty weird about it. She had an apprehensive tone about my Yuffie costume for Halloween, but what she said was what threw me off.

"You'd better shave your face, legs and do makeup right. At least look like a woman and not some hooker."

The old man left it at "I'm not going to ask."

Nicholas D. Wolfwood - Trigun

Delicious. Flat. Chest. I mean MySpace.
Shiromiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #77
SiriusLoveGirl
The Sphinx

My parents don't seem to care. My mom actually helped me decide which boy to cosplay a few days ago. I don't normally wear girly clothes anyway, so I think they'd be more shocked if I told them I was wearing a dress.

Megacon 2014
Nagisa Hazuki - Free! Iwatobi Swim Club (Saturday)

Armin Arlert - Attack on Titan (Sunday)

SiriusLoveGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2008, 02:42 PM   #78
fma_pwns_u

Ah hah hah hah.

My parents were a bit concerned... at first. My first cosplay was a crossplay, after all.

After being seen in public with me as Nurse!Joker, well, I'm pretty convinced they're fine with anything. But they do get rather excited when I announce I'm dressing up as a female character... maybe Sailor Neptune made up for the clown. XD I'm lucky.
Unread 08-14-2008, 12:07 AM   #79
Naoko-plush
That Plush-making weirdo

When I got my chest-binding shirt in the mail and modeled it for my parents, mom bemoaned my wanting to hide my curves, and dad just kinda laughed.

There both cool with it now that I've explained it's for arts sake and I'm not planning on turning into a trannie full-time XD
Naoko-plush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 01:59 AM   #80
Sakura Efreet
Meep...!

I've done so many girly cosplays, and both my parents are "fond" of my hobby, so I know crossplaying won't be an issue when it comes up. My dad likes to go to conventions just for the costumes, and my mom LOVES to help me out with cosplays, so it's cool.

I've always been a tomboy/girly girl mix, so it's all cool.

I live in Ohio and I try to catch every con in this state and the surrounding states (when money allows).
I have been cosplaying since the age of 9, and when I'm not cosplaying...
I'm a college student and an Irish dancer. ;]
Sakura Efreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 03:48 AM   #81
cookieworks
coOkiewOrksprOductiOns

well since i live with my parents , they have to know.
At first they said cosplaying is a waste of time and when i said im crossplaying as a boy they where freaked.
Now they think im a bi or something...
Im not a girly girl im more of a tomboy.I like playing the male parts of cosplay because they have more character (thats what i think).
I dont see whats the problem with crossplaying, my parents are boring and unimaginative. They wont help me make the costumes so i have to buy them since i cant make them on my own since im no good at sewing. This means iv got to save over £100 for my costume and more to come!

If only my parents saw the good side of cosplaying and crossplaying!!!!
cookieworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 06:48 AM   #82
nanakorocket
~lucy in the sky..~

I think I mentioned it around (not even to) my grandmother and she goes "NO! No way! You are too girly to dress like a boy!". Then she looked at me very strangely for a week :/
nanakorocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2008, 12:24 AM   #83
LamKyion
Dattebayou bitch!

I do almost all males mostly due to the fact that I'm rather tall, most of the characters I like are male, and if someone bashes me in a male its not as insaulting because I'm NOT a male.

my parents really never made a fuss.
One day I bought a sasuke costume and was binding my chest.

My dad doesn't care. It's what makes me happy. It's more than just my hobby. It's what brings me joy.
And if that means me dressing as a guy from time to time, so be it.

my mum has always been a bit more weird about it.
And the funny thing is she is into anime/manga and has cosplayed herself!

She always makes offhand comments about how I'm the man of my cosplay group or calling me her little crossdresser.

I don't see myself as a cross dresser.
(not that I have anything against them : ) )

I'm just a cosplayer.
My dad at least is fully supportive,
my mum is supportive of my cosplay, but not of my crossplay.
she gets really upset when I list out my characters and nearlt all of them are male.

2012 COSPLAY:
Princess Merida
Hatsune Miku [hold. release]

Last edited by LamKyion : 08-16-2008 at 12:36 AM.
LamKyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 12:13 AM   #84
Jacaranda
Spastic Sagittarius

So, on a whim I decided to ask my mom directly what she thinks of me crossplaying.

Mom: Well... it's not that I'm upset that you're not dressing as a girl... I just think that you're not tapping into your full potential.

Me: O_o ... oh. Okay.
Jacaranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #85
Kerodohi
No longer active

My mom is fine with it, I think. She even helps me with my binding when I crossplay, because, "I don't like the way you slouch when you do it yourself." xD I'm pretty sure she's just grateful that, if I HAVE to cosplay at all, at least I'm going as someone who is decently attired - she understands that I think guys' costumes are more fun to do, especially with my 6'1" height (and even laughs with me when I tell her my stories about being mistaken for the other gender!).
Unread 08-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #86
KoinuSephiroth
Who, me?

My mom isn't quite sure what to think about it, I think. My Dad is fine with it, but my Mom... she for one thinks binding is completely unnecessary and ridiculous. She thinks it's harmful, and doesn't like me doing it. So I haven't thus far...

Planned Cosplays:
Impeldown Boa Hancock (One Piece)
Domino (One Piece)
Movie 6 Robin (One Piece)
Miyuki (Xenosaga)

KoinuSephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2008, 03:56 PM   #87
mikathekitsune

hehe.... My mom is a little weird about it. She kinda changes her mind about things alot. At first she was totally against be even cosplaying...but now she is ok with it..kinda. She thinks it's a waste, and like most mothers, she wants me to dress girly, escpecially with my curvy figure. My younger sister is totally supportive of cosplay...she has the exact same look on it and she has never even cosidered going as a girl XD. I think it is because of her that my mom is ok with crossplay. XDDDD Thank goodness I have her.
My stepdad..is kinda begging for anything that will bring us together, so he is supportive. ish. He understands that the only characters my sister and I actually like are the guys.
other 2 sisters don't care......at all.......they just don't really like cosplay XD
mikathekitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2008, 05:55 PM   #88
Xuki-kun

I don't think my parents care anymore..xD
I think they understand now that it's just "a costume"
..since I don't need to bind because I'm pretty flat. XD;
Being flat is something I can only be proud about when I'm in crossplay, (and playing DDR) lawl.

My dad is pretty traditional so he'd rather have me wearing a suit and tie than a miniskirt anyday :'D

HOWEVER: there was a period of time where he was geniunely scared that I wanted to get a sex change (lulz!) after explaining and stuff he's perfectly fine with it.
Xuki-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #89
Nekovamp13
Crossplayer @ birth

Well...I'm gay and I already dress like a guy. My mom doesn't really like to, but she also doesn't hate the fact ^_^
Nekovamp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2008, 10:28 PM   #90
virus=[1.6k]
Click To Download Love =D

Last edited by virus=[1.6k] : 06-16-2010 at 06:34 AM.
virus=[1.6k] is offline   Reply With Quote