Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 07-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
uniquelychallen
.:Nutter:.

A few questions :D

Is it frowned upon if you combine two styles of EGL? Such as Sweet and Classic? Or would I be better of sticking to just one?

At my local JoAnn fabrics there is fabric of Hello Kitty i'd like to use as a skirt design, would that be alright or just plain hideous?

I'm been flipping though my new Alloy magazine I got in the mail, they have some types of Mary Janes, one of them has open toes. They may not be very lolita but it made me think if open toed mary janes are acceptable.

.:Geek Con 2008:.
Rin {Inuyasha}~25%
EGL Alice~0%
OR Kotoko {Chobits}~5%

.: Dashino Con 2008 :.
Rin {Inuyasha}~25%
Kotoko {Chobits}~5%
EGL~1%

.:No Band Con 2009:.
ABA {Guilty Gear}~0%

uniquelychallen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
Meiki

Well...it would depend on the design? I can see a sweet print working with a more classic silhouette and vice versa, but it all depends on what you mean by "combining" However, I will say if you're new the fashion I'd just stick to one for now.

A Hello Kitty print would be fine, lolita and kitty go very well together!

I think they can occasionally work if the rest of the outfit is fairly by the book. I haaate seeing stockings or socks with them though, so a more summery stocking-less (gasp!) coordinate would be better.
Meiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2008, 10:45 PM   #3
uniquelychallen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiki View Post
Well...it would depend on the design? I can see a sweet print working with a more classic silhouette and vice versa, but it all depends on what you mean by "combining" However, I will say if you're new the fashion I'd just stick to one for now.
I ment like...the hello kitty skirt i want to make with a t-shirt and some sort of covering that would be lolitaish

Also, are disney prints acceptable? I like this pattern but dont know if it would be ok, or for that matter, any other disney ones.

Rin {Inuyasha}~25%
EGL Alice~0%
OR Kotoko {Chobits}~5%

Rin {Inuyasha}~25%
Kotoko {Chobits}~5%
EGL~1%

ABA {Guilty Gear}~0%

Last edited by uniquelychallen : 07-08-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Unread 07-08-2008, 11:38 PM   #4
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquelychallen View Post
I ment like...the hello kitty skirt i want to make with a t-shirt and some sort of covering that would be lolitaish

Also, are disney prints acceptable? I like this pattern but dont know if it would be ok, or for that matter, any other disney ones.
That sounds fine! It sounds more like casual lolita, which is totally acceptable.

That fabric is super adorable! I've seen Disney prints used before, I think pretty much any cute kid print is okay.
Unread 07-10-2008, 02:07 AM   #5
uniquelychallen

Omg..I feel like such a n00b....I need an opinion on something before I go sinking all sorts of money into this...

I love this skirt like you would not believe {HUGE alice fan}, and i'm suppose to go lolita American McGee's alice but I cant do that...But I am willing to go between that version and Disney's. I want to get me some Pink Mary Janes {high heeled} with that. Here's my problem though....I love these tops. Shirts with hoods make me comfortable. Should I get one of those? If so what color? if not can you maybe suggest a differn't one?

Thanks, and again...I feel n00bish

Rin {Inuyasha}~25%
EGL Alice~0%
OR Kotoko {Chobits}~5%

Rin {Inuyasha}~25%
Kotoko {Chobits}~5%
EGL~1%

ABA {Guilty Gear}~0%

Unread 07-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
Meiki

Quote:
Omg..I feel like such a n00b....I need an opinion on something before I go sinking all sorts of money into this...

I love this skirt like you would not believe {HUGE alice fan}, and i'm suppose to go lolita American McGee's alice but I cant do that...But I am willing to go between that version and Disney's. I want to get me some Pink Mary Janes {high heeled} with that. Here's my problem though....I love these tops. Shirts with hoods make me comfortable. Should I get one of those? If so what color? if not can you maybe suggest a differn't one?

Thanks, and again...I feel n00bish
That's a super cute skirt! I love Shirley Temple. Your second link didn't work, Angelic Pretty's website is all done in frames, so if you want to link to a specific item you have to open it into a new window/tab to copy the address. I'm taking a shot in the dark and guessing that it's this one: http://www.angelicpretty.com/shoppin...2cu-14223.html because it's the only hooded thing I see. Correct me if I'm wrong though! I think it would go really well if you got it in black or pink.
Unread 07-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
uniquelychallen

Yes that's the one Sorry about the goofy link. Now i'm torn between black and pink though lol.

Rin {Inuyasha}~25%
EGL Alice~0%
OR Kotoko {Chobits}~5%

Rin {Inuyasha}~25%
Kotoko {Chobits}~5%
EGL~1%

ABA {Guilty Gear}~0%

Unread 07-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
Meiki

Well here, I threw together a coord on polyvore: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=2315216 I think it looks better with the black, it sets off pink accessories really well!

Plus, now that I think about it, the pink of the hoodie would probably be a lot lighter than the pink on the skirt, black is easier to match.
Unread 07-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #9
uniquelychallen

*squee!!* Your amazing!!!!

Rin {Inuyasha}~25%
EGL Alice~0%
OR Kotoko {Chobits}~5%

Rin {Inuyasha}~25%
Kotoko {Chobits}~5%
EGL~1%

ABA {Guilty Gear}~0%

Unread 07-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #10
Shipper08

If you're going for an EGL McGee's Alice, maybe try a knee skirt that's a powder blue with pretty linen colored stockings and a matching petti, cut an apron off at about the mid point and hand sew the draw string around and measure it to your skirt. After that try a very small amount of red food coloring around where the pockets would be, make it kinda splotchy like blood spray though. If you have an old cleaner bottle, put a few drops of red food coloring to one of yellow then add water,(Cause blood dries an orange-ish tint) then take the apron and spry it towards the pockets for the effect I mentioned. Then find a same colored shirt with hood and you have your costume. There are alot of ways to find stuff like this and dye or otherwise alter the color or shape. A bit of time and can get really pricey but anything for a good costume, really. IMHO.

Sorry if I stepped over any boundary and crushed a few toes. I don't mean to be on the insensitive side.
Shipper08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #11
uniquelychallen

I could do that except her dress is really a dark blue...plus they dont have the shirt i love in blue lol. But I did see a blue skirt i like so I might get that too since its cheap, or i'll make my own.

Another question I thought of yesterday....are tattoos acceptable? I have one on my ankle area and i know it will probably be covered by stockings but i'd like to know.

Rin {Inuyasha}~25%
EGL Alice~0%
OR Kotoko {Chobits}~5%

Rin {Inuyasha}~25%
Kotoko {Chobits}~5%
EGL~1%

ABA {Guilty Gear}~0%

Unread 07-12-2008, 01:34 PM   #12
Meiki

Quote:
I could do that except her dress is really a dark blue...plus they dont have the shirt i love in blue lol. But I did see a blue skirt i like so I might get that too since its cheap, or i'll make my own.

Another question I thought of yesterday....are tattoos acceptable? I have one on my ankle area and i know it will probably be covered by stockings but i'd like to know.
Tattoos are fine, and if they're covered up it definitely shouldn't be a problem.
Unread 07-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #13
Shipper08

Meiki had a very good idea of what the dress, and entire ensemble really, should look like to your specifications. I really liked the shoes too. If you are super worried about your tattoo, even though it's acceptable, try foundation with stockings, or maybe like a tissue wrapped around the area and then put the stockings over it. Both are very time consuming but it'd work if you had the time to do something like that.
Shipper08 is offline   Reply With Quote