Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 07-09-2008, 12:13 AM   #1
Ms.Saturday

TUTORIAL: How to make a Widows Peak

Okay, so I'm VERY new at this as well, but I get questions a lot about my wigs. So I made a picture tutorial on how to make a Widows Peak.

If your doing this for an Axel wig, you can go under my costumes and look at the description for Axel, there is more styling help there.

http://mssaturday.deviantart.com/art...-Peak-91115839

Also if people have better suggestions, or just help for other people, OR even for myself ~ suggestions, tips, and constructive criticism are all welcome.

<3 Ms.S~

Last edited by Ms.Saturday : 07-09-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Ms.Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2008, 02:10 AM   #2
Cora
Shine Forever

Pretty good tutorial (slight grammar note, your "than"s should be "then"s. Than is used when comparing something: x rather than y. Then is used when referring to time: x then y. Not meaning to pick on you personally, just there's so much incorrect grammar in the internet it makes me crazy).

Looks like it turned out pretty nicely. Random question, is your wig head plastic? I've never seen one like that before.
Cora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2008, 03:38 AM   #3
Hieis_Angel
Daughter of Nothing

I'm pretty sure she's using a glass head (My grandma had one before she died of cancer hence the wig need) XP

Anyway, hey thanks a zillion million, you were actually able to save my poor xigbar wig with this tutorial. ^-^, I'll have to use this method for the hairline on the sides.
Hieis_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
Ms.Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora View Post
Pretty good tutorial (slight grammar note, your "than"s should be "then"s. Than is used when comparing something: x rather than y. Then is used when referring to time: x then y. Not meaning to pick on you personally, just there's so much incorrect grammar in the internet it makes me crazy).

Looks like it turned out pretty nicely. Random question, is your wig head plastic? I've never seen one like that before.
Hahahaha, thanks for the grammar lesson. Take note though that I made this tutorial at about four in the morning. I would not expect anyone as tired as I was to have proper grammar as well.
Though I will admit I made the SAME mistake every time I suppose.
Also, The head is glass as Hieis Angel said. I bought it at Pier One because styrofoam heads are not proportional to an actual persons head unless you are twelve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hieis_Angel View Post
I'm pretty sure she's using a glass head (My grandma had one before she died of cancer hence the wig need) XP

Anyway, hey thanks a zillion million, you were actually able to save my poor xigbar wig with this tutorial. ^-^, I'll have to use this method for the hairline on the sides.
Your very welcome, I just wanted to help out other people who were also learning the whole cosplay dealio still. I've only been doing this since 2005 and every time I "figure" something out, I tell other people.
I hate when people decide to give me the reply of, "Figure it out yourself, that's half the fun of cosplay."
It's very rude and kind of pompous.

Last edited by Ms.Saturday : 07-09-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Unread 07-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
chisainekocat
Harr0

Excellent tutorial! Also, kudos for using Fabri-tac glue. That stuff is one of my favorite tools for cosplay.

My old cosplay group: JAC Productions (with Paro Paro Inc friends) jac-productions.com/
chisainekocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
Cora
Shine Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Saturday View Post
Hahahaha, thanks for the grammar lesson. Take note though that I made this tutorial at about four in the morning. I would not expect anyone as tired as I was to have proper grammar as well.
Though I will admit I made the SAME mistake every time I suppose.
Also, The head is glass as Hieis Angel said. I bought it at Pier One because styrofoam heads are not proportional to an actual persons head unless you are twelve.
LOL sorry, I just kind of get a twitch. ^^;

I was wondering if it was glass, but kind of also thought that would be a bit strange XD;; How do you keep the wig from falling off while you work with it? (seriously I think I'd die if I couldn't turn my wig heads into a pin cushion while I style ^^; )
Unread 07-09-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
Ms.Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisainekocat View Post
Excellent tutorial! Also, kudos for using Fabri-tac glue. That stuff is one of my favorite tools for cosplay.
I know! Fabric Tac is AMAZING stuff! I love it so much. Btw, this is probably a good time to say this, but I am a BIG fan of your wig work. It is like....art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora View Post
LOL sorry, I just kind of get a twitch. ^^;

I was wondering if it was glass, but kind of also thought that would be a bit strange XD;; How do you keep the wig from falling off while you work with it? (seriously I think I'd die if I couldn't turn my wig heads into a pin cushion while I style ^^; )
You know the straps in the back to tighten the wig? I pull those to the front and clip them together under the chin. I really only use the glass one when I want it "proportional" to my head shape. I really do use the styrofoam heads from Sallys Beauty salon a lot. xD
Btw, GREAT job on your organization coat. (I stalked your gallery lol) Im currently trying to remake mine and it's frustrating to say the least. Did you use any patterns or just go by eye?
Unread 07-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
Cora
Shine Forever

Quote:
You know the straps in the back to tighten the wig? I pull those to the front and clip them together under the chin. I really only use the glass one when I want it "proportional" to my head shape. I really do use the styrofoam heads from Sallys Beauty salon a lot. xD
Btw, GREAT job on your organization coat. (I stalked your gallery lol) Im currently trying to remake mine and it's frustrating to say the least. Did you use any patterns or just go by eye?
Ah, that makes sense LOL.

Oh thanks! For my second coat I actually used a combination of patterns and sort of spliced them together. There's a whole thread about them here: Orgy 13 coats if you need more help. ^_^
Unread 07-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #9
ArtsyFartsy
Breeder of the Domokuns

Intriguing. I wouldn't have used such short hair though, and probably would have the much harder version weaving in individual hairs for a more pro-look to it, but that's me, I have the patience to go that far.

None-the-less, your tutorial is very helpful.
Unread 07-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
chisainekocat
Harr0

Quote:
I know! Fabric Tac is AMAZING stuff! I love it so much. Btw, this is probably a good time to say this, but I am a BIG fan of your wig work. It is like....art.
*blush* Thanks so much! ^_^ I don't know if they're really art or rather ridiculous miracles that I somehow manage to create, haha.

My old cosplay group: JAC Productions (with Paro Paro Inc friends) jac-productions.com/
chisainekocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #11
Blindedinshadow
One who fell from grace

Thanks so much for this tutorial. I can actually do Renji with an accurate hairline now. One more project to add to an ever growing list.
Unread 07-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #12
Ms.Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyFartsy View Post
Intriguing. I wouldn't have used such short hair though, and probably would have the much harder version weaving in individual hairs for a more pro-look to it, but that's me, I have the patience to go that far.

None-the-less, your tutorial is very helpful.
I believe somewhere in it I said to use longer hair as well. I used an extra wig for this and an extra weft I had stuck on the back of it from an earlier project. This tutorial was mainly for a friend to help her with a Larxene wig. I never intended to post it anywhere until my friends ask me to post it to help other people.
I know how to do a lace front wig, but I made this tutorial mainly for beginners so that it would be easy for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindedinshadow View Post
Thanks so much for this tutorial. I can actually do Renji with an accurate hairline now. One more project to add to an ever growing list.
No problem, I hope it wasn't too confusing. I really tried to make it as easy as possible.
Unread 07-22-2008, 03:07 AM   #13
Hee-Hee
+Twinzik+

I just want to pay credince to your tutorial, Ms. Saturday.

I recently used it to style my Yusuke Urameshi wig, and I'm very happy with the results!

They're in my progress gallery if anyone wants a peek at some snapshots, I'll be wearing the cosplay at AnimeFEST next month.

Thank you again for the tutorial, Ms. Saturday!!

Next Con: Anime Matsuri!

Simon Petrikov - Adventure Time
Jack Frost - Rise of the Guardians
Sandman - Rise of the Guardians

Crunchyroll Cosplay Ambassador
Check out Crunchyroll HERE

Hee-Hee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #14
Ms.Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnyx View Post
Already favorited this on dA, but I'll say it again: thanks so much for posting this. I was a little confused when I first read the tutorial, only because I've never styled a wig before and had to look up some things to understand it better.

Now I can do accurate Axel hairlines without butchering the poor wig. (My mom will be grateful for that, since some of her money's going to get me the wig. xD)

Ah yeah that's always good. Lol. Good luck on Axel!!
Unread 07-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #15
Hee-Hee
+Twinzik+

Oh yeah! Just a note to everyone---

Using tacky glue is fantastic! Just... make sure you don't get the "gel" kind. I accidently bought that when I started and ended up resorting to the white tacky glue my twin had from art class. XD

And if you're very careful, hot glue does the trick, too! Just make sure it's only on the fabric pieces, no fibers!

Next Con: Anime Matsuri!

Simon Petrikov - Adventure Time
Jack Frost - Rise of the Guardians
Sandman - Rise of the Guardians

Crunchyroll Cosplay Ambassador
Check out Crunchyroll HERE

Hee-Hee is offline   Reply With Quote