Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 06-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
wtnv_civilian

What's it like to perform at a Con

I just want to know what it's like. Does anyone know?

Unread 06-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Please be more specific.

No one "performs at a con." If you mean the stage masquerade, which is competition, that's one thing. If you mean the occasional events at a con where people act in character (cosplay chess, maid cafes, etc) that's entirely different.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2014, 11:41 PM   #3
Loveable-Eve
Moe Destroyer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
Please be more specific.

No one "performs at a con." If you mean the stage masquerade, which is competition, that's one thing. If you mean the occasional events at a con where people act in character (cosplay chess, maid cafes, etc) that's entirely different.
^ditto^

I usually preform on the stage in skits (and it's so much fun) but I also preform through out the convention. The whole con is a stage for me. Performance art is one of my main loves in life though so that's the main reason why.
Drag Cloud - Final Fantasy 7: Need dress, wig and braids
Princess Daisy - Mario: Haven't even started
Bahamut - Final Fantasy 4: I need wig, and to make the wings
The Best Costume Ever - It's a surprise: All I need is the wig!
Loveable-Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
TitanSlayer000
Eh

I'm assuming you mean in the masquerade. There's really no way to say without any more detail. Are you doing a skit? What's the size of the con? What are the rules? Is there a pre-judging or rehearsal?

Next cosplays:
??????
TitanSlayer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

I suspect you're talking about the panel you're planning on running as the Avengers? Running a panel is basically teaching a short class. You'll need to speak clearly, say things in an interesting way, and give the audience something they don't already know. For a panel that's more about fandom than information, you'll also need to be engaging and funny.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

So many different possible answers.

Masquerade - It depends on how you deal with being in front of a large audience. If you don't like public speaking, it can be a nerve wracking experience. I get stage fright every single time I have to do anything in front of a lot of people. Even speaking up in class makes my hands sweat and my heart race. A lot of eyes and attention are on you. It still ends up being fun, though, after you can take a breath and calm down. If you do a skit, just practice, practice, practice.

Panels - not just anyone can be a panelist. You have to be a good speaker, and a good moderator. Let other people have their turn to speak, but don't let one person steamroll the entire discussion. Keep it on topic (people love going off topic and on tangents), and some of the best mods just ask questions and don't give their opinion on every single thing. I like to write up a small list of things I think we can discuss, a couple bullets on my own opinion, and lead into the topic with a question, your own short answer, and then open the floor for questions and discussion. Don't be afraid to cut people off. You can tell them "sorry, but that person has been waiting their turn and we've heard your opinion now."

In the event that you're an expert on the panel and supposed to be teaching people (ie. cosplay panels, fashion panels) try to answer more questions than just spewing a ton of information you think they want. Introduce yourself and explain why you're an expert panelist, and then open the floor for Q&A so people who came to the panel to learn something get to learn what they came to learn.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs

Last edited by dizzymonochrome : 06-18-2014 at 12:40 PM.
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #7
dalbkino

It depends upon the person.

I love being on stage during competitions. I enjoy showing off my costume and I like acting out the role. I've only done walk-ons so far though.

My friend on the other hand, gets really nervous and its nerve-wracking for her just before she gets on stage. Once she's out there, she is glad to have done it.
Dalek strategist from Doctor Who * Lulu from League of Legends
dalbkino is offline   Reply With Quote