Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-25-2011, 01:57 AM   #181
Aciano
Light and Shadow

Please do make sure that your costumes are durable. Don't want them to break halfway through the performance or even ill fitted. There have been cases when costumes slip X-x You don't want to be on stage fixing it.

Unread 06-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #182
Petit Oiseau
The Little Morbid Bird

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spica View Post
Please do make sure that your costumes are durable. Don't want them to break halfway through the performance or even ill fitted. There have been cases when costumes slip X-x You don't want to be on stage fixing it.
I agree with this! Ive seen tops/jackets break on stage! It can really mess up a performance
Unread 06-05-2011, 02:47 AM   #183
yumei_tenshi

dont flail around so much? I've noticed a trend with skits that I've watched and all the characters on stage deliver their lines as if they were doing sign language to the deaf guy all the way that the back of the auditorium who has sunglasses on.
-Juri Han
-Radical Ed
-Gogo Yubari
Currently selling Miku wig, pm me if interested!
yumei_tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 11:57 PM   #184
Odile
Comic Book Zombie

Is it a DO to video your skit/dance/walkon performance for personal review and critique as well as performing in front of a (non-biased) test audience?

Also is it another DO to have a shorter skit or dance if you are struggling to meet an allocated time limit? Quality over quantity?
Unread 06-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #185
Nekomeishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odile View Post
Is it a DO to video your skit/dance/walkon performance for personal review and critique as well as performing in front of a (non-biased) test audience?

Also is it another DO to have a shorter skit or dance if you are struggling to meet an allocated time limit? Quality over quantity?
You mean in front of friends/relatives/etc? Yes! It helps to get a non-biased opinion. Sometimes when you're working on something for a while you don't notice small errors and things that could be improved upon.

Quality over quantity always! It's better to have an awesome skit that runs 1:30 than a skit that drags on and isn't as interesting that runs a full time limit.

Nekomeishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 06:06 AM   #186
aquawarrior

Unhappy um help maybe? please? anyone?

First of all what is a masquerade?!?!?!?!? is it those videos where people go up on stage and perform something?
and second, if it is i was thinking of dancing to a song, and im pretty sure it hasnt been done 100 times... but any pointers?
the song is Robo Kiss by W (double u)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qrr1...eature=related
please help me asap!
oh yeah, i need to know in about 2 days!!!! waaah! i never really thought of doing a masquerade...

Last edited by aquawarrior : 07-19-2011 at 06:12 AM.
aquawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #187
Momoko Peach
Married to Sebby

DON'T do a Vocaloid!!

Unless, it's like one from a PV that isn't used often. But, just don't be like Kaito in his original clothes, be a little more creative xD
Momoko Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #188
aquawarrior

well im a guy, and im hoping to make it funny, cuz were both guys... the other one doing this with me will be goku... so yeah... oh yeah, and im going to be a custom made costume too...
Unread 07-19-2011, 07:30 PM   #189
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Don't read this thread, aquawarrior, read the rest of the forum. All your questions can be answered there. This post is specficially about dos and don'ts, which are too generic to answer your question.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #190
jinglesmar

I really appreciate this thread!!

We will attend our first con this year, so I don't know what has been overdone in the masquerades. How do I know?

I'm considering doing a skit from Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (a movie that makes fun of bad sci-fi movies from the 50s) where Animala does her little dance. The costumes really aren't much to look at. Perhaps I should choose better costumes for the contest and skip the dance?

Anyone familiar with it? It won't be enjoyable if it is too obscure or if there are other Animalas. rower.

TIA!!

edited to add: WHOOPS!! I'll start my own thread with this question!! *blushes*

Last edited by jinglesmar : 07-21-2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason: post is in wrong/inappropriate thread
jinglesmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #191
Briana-Sama
shoot for the moon

I have to add to the "make sure your costume is durable" bit, PLEASE make sure your wig is secure as well D: At Otakon last year there were maybe four skits where people lost their wigs and it threw off their entire performance, were it funny or serious.

Are there any tips for walk-ons, specifically about what sort of costume one would enter? I want to do a walk-on next year with two other friends, and while the costumes themselves are somewhat simple, the series is obscure and the characters all have enormous sets of wings (read: six-pair for one character) that we are going to spend a lot of time and money on. Would it be wise to enter these, even if the actual clothing is simple? We would mostly want to be judged on our work on the wings.
San Japan?
AnimeFest
YuleCon

A-Kon Cosplays
Meenah Peixes [Homestuck]
Castiel [Supernatural]
AU!Finn the Human? [Adventure Time]
Secret Cosplay [---]
Briana-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #192
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Of course it would be. In your case, depending on how mobile you are while wearing those sets of wings, I'd suggest choreographed walking: pick some music for the background and plot out a path around the stage that allows you to show all sides of the costumes as well as interact with each other without requiring any words or dialogue.

This is, of course, assuming they let you do this as a walk-on wherever you're competing. Some cons are really weirdly strict and only let walk-ons literally walk. On. And nothing else. Which is such a disservice to people with elaborate costumes that will not look as impressive being shoehorned into a dialogue skit.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #193
Fory-san
**Worship the plushie!**

I think all this can best be summed up with the old masquerade saying: Short is good, funny is good; short and funny are best.

Support the industry...Buy Anime!

Little children, you belong to God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.-1 John 4:4
Fory-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #194
Amanita

Respectfully I disagree with the emphasis on "funny". Really, not all characters work well trying to be funny. And unless you really know your audience, comedy runs the risk of falling flat or going over the audience's heads.
With the character I'm working on now, the living incarnation of an NYC skyscraper, comedy just won't work at all. What kind of jokes might a living skyscraper make? Jokes about real estate or engineering would most likely go over the audience's heads. "Office Space"- style ranting about misbehaving tenants might be funny, but would most likely also get offensive real fast. Joking about terrorists or terrorism? Do I even have to say why that's a huge no-no? Likewise other characters I've seen at cons. Having them try to be all hilarious would have been completely out of place and unsuited to the character, big time.

I'm not totally putting down comedy- it's got its place. But it has to be done well (No overdone memes, no inside jokes, or references that only fans of a certain series would get), and you have to know both your character and your audience. In some cases, knowing your character might mean declining to force them into a comic situation if comedy isn't their thing.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #195
jinglesmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
Respectfully I disagree with the emphasis on "funny". Really, not all characters work well trying to be funny. And unless you really know your audience, comedy runs the risk of falling flat or going over the audience's heads.
With the character I'm working on now, the living incarnation of an NYC skyscraper, comedy just won't work at all. What kind of jokes might a living skyscraper make? Jokes about real estate or engineering would most likely go over the audience's heads. "Office Space"- style ranting about misbehaving tenants might be funny, but would most likely also get offensive real fast. Joking about terrorists or terrorism? Do I even have to say why that's a huge no-no? Likewise other characters I've seen at cons. Having them try to be all hilarious would have been completely out of place and unsuited to the character, big time.
Pigeons? Skyscrapers must highly dislike pigeons!

Love,
jinglesmar is offline   Reply With Quote