Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 02-25-2014, 07:23 PM   #241
Loveable-Eve
Scene Shop Princess

I'm going to state my unpopular opinion.

If you want to go up on stage and do a VOCALOID dance or what ever, do it! It is a great confidence boost to go up stage and do something!

BUT

You better damn know your dance and put some energy because your act will truly be boring if you are busy thinking about the next step or not giving it your all.

AND

Don't expect to win anything most likely.

I know if I was a judge I wouldn't award a "Bad Apple" skit because the people did not create the the piece themselves, they people who originally choreographed the dance did. If that makes sense.

Unread 03-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #242
Erik_anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveable-Eve View Post
I'm going to state my unpopular opinion.

I know if I was a judge I wouldn't award a "Bad Apple" skit because the people did not create the the piece themselves, they people who originally choreographed the dance did. If that makes sense.
Generally I don't support punitive awards against competitors. Ideally the masquerade director is more at fault for letting a very bad performance on the stage then individuals responsible. However I do remember some people doing things like having cloaks that were written in runes to say "~So and so~ Sucks" on the stage or the now infamous stripping klingon.

~-----------------------------------------------------------------------~
~----------------------------~
Evil so refined that it knows what fork to use... but chooses not to
~----------------------------~
~-----------------------------------------------------------------------~
Erik_anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #243
erikisafail
Haku Strider

One other thing I want to add. If you're pre-recording, PLEASE put SOME emotion into your voice, and PLEASE make sure that you are using large gestures and clear body language! There are SO many skits that could have been great that I was just bored by because the people were speaking in monotone and just standing there doing nothing.
Russia-APH (FINISHED), Dave Strider- Homestuck (FINISHED), Terezi Pyrope- Homestuck (FINISHED), Feferi Peixes- Homestuck (FINISHED), Sherlock Holmes- Sherlock (FINISHED), Cecil Palmer- Welcome to Night Vale (FINISHED), Grell Sutcliff- Kuroshitsuji (FINSHED), Cicero- Skyrim (30% Done) Ellie- The Last of Us (FINISHED)

Facebook ~ Tumblr
erikisafail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #244
Lady Sundae

I want to ask a question about skits... If it's for a very small convention, with low expectations, is there a problem about doing a kind of walk on, just being in the character, character by character (we are 3), and finish it on a dance? We do 3 characters with no relation: One is from Game Of Throne, one from Assassins Creed, and the last from LoL. We just want to share some fun with the audience, show our work and that's all. There is nothing to win and audience doesn't expect high level skits.

Is that ok, or do you have a better idea? We have two weeks to make it, so we can't do something very elaborate.
Finished: Classic Fiora, LoL - Kitty Cat Katarina, LoL - Rikku Thief, FF X-2 - Popstar Ahri v1, LoL - Popstar Ahri v2, LoL - Classic Soraka, LoL - Shyvana Championship, LoL - Super Chibi Moon, Sailor Moon - Ryuko Matoi (Kamui), Kill la Kill

Currently: Jadefang Cassiopeia, League of Legends - 16%
Paused: Officer Vi, LoL (65%) - Slay Belle Katarina, LoL (92%)

Lady Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #245
kandell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Sundae View Post
I want to ask a question about skits... If it's for a very small convention, with low expectations, is there a problem about doing a kind of walk on, just being in the character, character by character (we are 3), and finish it on a dance? We do 3 characters with no relation: One is from Game Of Throne, one from Assassins Creed, and the last from LoL. We just want to share some fun with the audience, show our work and that's all. There is nothing to win and audience doesn't expect high level skits.

Is that ok, or do you have a better idea? We have two weeks to make it, so we can't do something very elaborate.
I would suggest solo walk-ons. A non-related group may look odd to spectators. And if you're being judged for craftsmanship, it could confuse the judges since you're all from vastly different sources. Just my opinion, though.
Facebook
AC Paradise
Twitter
kandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #246
Lady Sundae

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandell View Post
I would suggest solo walk-ons. A non-related group may look odd to spectators. And if you're being judged for craftsmanship, it could confuse the judges since you're all from vastly different sources. Just my opinion, though.
There is absolutely no judges. In France, we have no catwalks and we are not used to just walk in, strike a pose, wave and go away. It's not usual at all. I'm a bit stressed about it, I think it's a bad idea to do this mix with all these characters, but it's too light just to come and say hello to people. :<
Finished: Classic Fiora, LoL - Kitty Cat Katarina, LoL - Rikku Thief, FF X-2 - Popstar Ahri v1, LoL - Popstar Ahri v2, LoL - Classic Soraka, LoL - Shyvana Championship, LoL - Super Chibi Moon, Sailor Moon - Ryuko Matoi (Kamui), Kill la Kill

Currently: Jadefang Cassiopeia, League of Legends - 16%
Paused: Officer Vi, LoL (65%) - Slay Belle Katarina, LoL (92%)

Lady Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 04:49 PM   #247
kandell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Sundae View Post
There is absolutely no judges. In France, we have no catwalks and we are not used to just walk in, strike a pose, wave and go away. It's not usual at all. I'm a bit stressed about it, I think it's a bad idea to do this mix with all these characters, but it's too light just to come and say hello to people. :<
Oh :/ Well, don't stress out about it. The important thing is to enjoy yourself and show off all your hard work!! ^^
Facebook
AC Paradise
Twitter
kandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2014, 05:41 AM   #248
PandaBanana

Hi everyone!
I'm making a cosplay skit and I have a question about using a background video.
If there's any part in a skit when someone is interacting with what's happening on a background video (talking, shooting stuff), should they be looking straight at the screen, or facing the audience?
Facing the screen would mean your back is towards the audience and I think that would have negative effect on the cosplayers stage presence > _ <
There's not a lot of discussion here about using bg videos so I'd love to hear some opinions about this
PandaBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2015, 11:02 AM   #249
Magyarita
The Cutest Little They

DON'T just slap random characters together in a crossover skit. Chances are, putting Sailor Moon, Pikachu, Grell, Applejack, and Karkat in the same skit is not going to work because there is very little any of the characters have in common.

If you do a crossover skit, make sure the characters have something in common or make sense together. My classmates did a really good skit that won an award, and it was a crossover. It made sense, it was about dead characters meeting each other in the afterlife. Because my classmates were able to find something all of those characters had in common (death) they were able to pull it off really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaBanana View Post
Hi everyone!
I'm making a cosplay skit and I have a question about using a background video.
If there's any part in a skit when someone is interacting with what's happening on a background video (talking, shooting stuff), should they be looking straight at the screen, or facing the audience?
Facing the screen would mean your back is towards the audience and I think that would have negative effect on the cosplayers stage presence > _ <
There's not a lot of discussion here about using bg videos so I'd love to hear some opinions about this
You may want to make your own thread about this.

Moon Moxxi: Borderlands Pre-Sequel
Anastasia: Anastasia
Saul Goodman: Breaking Bad
Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Cameron Van Buren -- MPGiS
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Magyarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #250
TitanSlayer000
Eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilLittleKiss View Post
DON'T just slap random characters together in a crossover skit. Chances are, putting Sailor Moon, Pikachu, Grell, Applejack, and Karkat in the same skit is not going to work because there is very little any of the characters have in common.

Pokemon/Sailor Moon/My Little Pony actually do go really well together because they all have some sort of magic/ability to control elements. Sailor Jupiter and Pikachu would be perfect together since they can both attack with electricity. But you'd have to stick to just two of them for it to work, same with anything. When you crossover more than 2 things it all just seems kind of cluttered, unless all the things are very similar (like all being magical girls).

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikisafail View Post
One other thing I want to add. If you're pre-recording, PLEASE put SOME emotion into your voice, and PLEASE make sure that you are using large gestures and clear body language! There are SO many skits that could have been great that I was just bored by because the people were speaking in monotone and just standing there doing nothing.
This is a very good point! Unless your character is known for having a monotone voice or bad voice acting. But even then, you still need to take the Body language advice. Make your movements all exaggerated so people can tell you're an actual person, and make sure you still know the script so your lip-syncing is done right.

Last edited by TitanSlayer000 : 01-09-2015 at 06:00 PM.
TitanSlayer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2015, 09:43 AM   #251
Magyarita
The Cutest Little They

[quote=TitanSlayer000;4941247]Pokemon/Sailor Moon/My Little Pony actually do go really well together because they all have some sort of magic/ability to control elements. Sailor Jupiter and Pikachu would be perfect together since they can both attack with electricity. But you'd have to stick to just two of them for it to work, same with anything. When you crossover more than 2 things it all just seems kind of cluttered, unless all the things are very similar (like all being magical girls).

Still seems like quite the stretch to me. And I've only seen seasons 1-3 of MLP, but I thought Applejack doesn't have any powers?

Moon Moxxi: Borderlands Pre-Sequel
Anastasia: Anastasia
Saul Goodman: Breaking Bad
Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Cameron Van Buren -- MPGiS
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Magyarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #252
TitanSlayer000
Eh

[quote=EvilLittleKiss;4941333]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanSlayer000 View Post
Pokemon/Sailor Moon/My Little Pony actually do go really well together because they all have some sort of magic/ability to control elements. Sailor Jupiter and Pikachu would be perfect together since they can both attack with electricity. But you'd have to stick to just two of them for it to work, same with anything. When you crossover more than 2 things it all just seems kind of cluttered, unless all the things are very similar (like all being magical girls).

Still seems like quite the stretch to me. And I've only seen seasons 1-3 of MLP, but I thought Applejack doesn't have any powers?
They all have an element of Harmony, so they're all capable of magic, technically.

(I've done MLP/Sailor Moon cosplays (like in that picture <-), now I'm worried it was a dumb idea after all ;_
Unread 04-08-2015, 07:17 PM   #253
ShiningDragon7

I agree I'm entering my Pit cosplay into a masquerade and I've been working on the "Pit-Side-Strut" (his little galloping gate he does) and really exaggerating my face expressions and gestures and movements
ShiningDragon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2015, 08:51 AM   #254
kathypeerz

Hello there! I am just new here and I am interested in Cosplay. What videos can you recommend for me to watch? You response is appreciated Thank you!
kathypeerz is offline   Reply With Quote