Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-25-2009, 12:28 AM   #76
Gwenevere

Um...so I don't mean to advertise here but there's a skit that I'm writing and I'm wondering if it falls into the category of "makes no sense!!" X /

It involves Ash from Pokemon challenging a gym leader to a battle...and all the "pokemon" are actually characters from other shows. The attacks that they use--called out as attacks from the show (Pokemon) get done as something similar from whatever show the character posing as the Pokemon is from. Er....did I explain that well? ^ ^"

Example: Goku (Dragonball Z) is sent out and told to do Hyper Beam. Goku starts to do a Kamehameha.

I'm wondering: Would something like this make no sense and fall into the category of random? Or would an audience get something like this?

Last edited by Gwenevere : 05-25-2009 at 12:31 AM.
Gwenevere is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #77
ShikaChu

Dance-offs can be funny. Just don't make them crazy long. -_-

Be original or really funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zILA8...eature=related
Okay, I love this. XD
Well. This is awkward.
ShikaChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #78
Gale
All the world's a stage

Cosplay Crimes

A friend recently brought this great webpage to my attention. It's part of Sarcasm-hime's cosplay website and its a long list of cosplay and masquerade advice. Skip to #17 for masq-specific advice.

I'll edit this into the first post as well. Thanks guys for keeping this thread going, and I hope its been helpful for others!

Places you may find me in 2013:
Katsucon ~ ConBust ~ Anime Boston
PortCon Maine ~ ConnectiCon ~ Dragon*Con

Last edited by Gale : 06-15-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #79
sweet_oneesama
Incurable otaku XD

I think any skit that's just using part of the actual series or preforming a dance that anyone can go on youtube and learn should never be done.

Also, when you have written a skit that you expect to be really funny, or might get comments from the audience, PAUSE!!!!

My friends and I (dressed as Yuki, Shuichi, and Sakura) did this HILARIOUS skit called 'Pink Haired Idiots'. The problem was, half the lines you couldn't hear for one because Yuki's mic died halfway through, and the audience was laughing hysterically and shouting things like 'KISS KISS KISS!' and 'You're so not a great ninja!' Watching the videos afterward I was like
sweet_oneesama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #80
ZukaAkuza
Autobotz

Hey I’m kind of new here so please don’t be to harsh on the newbie xD
umm…I’m going to do Squall (KH) cosplay and I plan on bringing up a guitar and performing ‘Are you gonna be my girl’ by jet and of course ill be singing to Rinoa xD and I was just wondering if that would be a stupid idea…keep in mind this is kinda up in the air at the moment. And would they let me bring a guitar on stage with an amp hook up???
YOU: ...uhm..
ME: shhh...its okay... >D
YOU:...u-u-uhm...O_____O OHEMGE! WHY DO YOU HAVE A LIGHTER...AND A CANDY BAR!?
ME:...I told you....i want to dip you...in...*starts to melt chocolate*
YOU:O___O' *runs*
ME:....Muhahahahaha 8D! finally...i thought they'd never leave....*Pulls out Gameboy* O3O A PIKACHU!? >D MUHAHAHAHA!
ZukaAkuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #81
Hee-Hee
+Twinzik+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZukaAkuza View Post
Hey I’m kind of new here so please don’t be to harsh on the newbie xD
umm…I’m going to do Squall (KH) cosplay and I plan on bringing up a guitar and performing ‘Are you gonna be my girl’ by jet and of course ill be singing to Rinoa xD and I was just wondering if that would be a stupid idea…keep in mind this is kinda up in the air at the moment. And would they let me bring a guitar on stage with an amp hook up???
There have been several successful musician acts on stage, but I sort of doubt you'll be able to use your own amp. Most of the time the con will provide a microphone, just make sure beforehand that they'll have one on a stand that you can play in front of and it should be fine.

Next Con: Anime Matsuri!

Simon Petrikov - Adventure Time
Jack Frost - Rise of the Guardians
Sandman - Rise of the Guardians

Crunchyroll Cosplay Ambassador
Check out Crunchyroll HERE

Hee-Hee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #82
ZukaAkuza
Autobotz

Domo arigato! x3
ME:....Muhahahahaha 8D! finally...i thought they'd never leave....*Pulls out Gameboy* O3O A PIKACHU!? >D MUHAHAHAHA!
Unread 07-08-2009, 10:46 PM   #83
Gale
All the world's a stage

Zuka, I'd check on the microphone too. Some cons require pre-recorded audio tracks. If you're going to a fairly small convention chances are they will have one, but if its bigger they probably won't provide mics for masquerade performers. Also be aware of the time limit you are given and make sure you cut the song appropriately for that. Musical acts can be hard to pull off and aren't always right for masquerades, but if you feel confident in your plans I think you should go for it. As a singer I wish masqs were more of a place to showcase musical talent more often, but the bigger the con the less it makes sense logistically.

Places you may find me in 2013:
Katsucon ~ ConBust ~ Anime Boston
PortCon Maine ~ ConnectiCon ~ Dragon*Con
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 01:56 AM   #84
ZukaAkuza
Autobotz

i've got a lot of time on my hands to plan it all out.I'll just play 'hey there delilah' by the plan white tees but switch names to rinoa and play acoustic. I'm going to a smaller con near me~ ill call and ask about the mic and given time for the skit. Thank you guys for all the help! ;D
Unread 07-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #85
PrincessDominique23
◕.w.◕Kawaii-d

omg thank you guys for all the great help:3 I will be performing a skit in about 5 months and I have been having questions So Thank you so much ^^
@ZukaAkuza I like your signature xD
PrincessDominique23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 01:44 AM   #86
*mik0 muffin !
~k i r a! ♥

This thread is awesome win, thanks for all the contributions. I've always wanted to participate in a masq but never had any clue what to do. While I'm still, sadly, idea-less lOL, I've gotten a bit more inspired and confident that I can do something after reading all your advice =]

As for dos/don'ts, just three random ones coming to mind right now from experience as a member of the audience lOL:

If there's a kiss in the skit, don't make it too long.....it gets awkward lOL. That goes for yaoi, yuri, or het.

Do make it clear what character you are...okay that's really vague ahaha. But both looking and acting like who you're portraying...unless it's purposely supposed to be OOC for humor, in which case it should be a "joke" that most ppl should get.

From an incident that happened to some guy: Don't ask for the mic from the MC so you can say something random to the audience O.o;;; Everyone will be confused. No one will hear you as you are booed offstage...

e v e n t s 2 0 1 2
Otakon
NYAF/CC
AUSA

i n p r o g r e s s / p l a n n i n g
Katara (AtLA) ~ Fire Nation Outfit

f i n d m e
deviantart
fanfiction
tumblr
*mik0 muffin ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #87
o0Hitsuzen0o

Great thread. :]

For my $0.02 as someone who acts. My director always tells us "Acting is reacting". Always think "How would I react if I saw/heard/smelled/touched/ate something like that in real life?" Then take that a step further and think "How would my character react?"
Next would be about staying in character. Staying in character onstage is one thing, but I have seen many a time where the energy is lost exiting a scene/the stage. It "breaks the fourth wall" (which is not a good thing, it makes the skit less believeable). A good tip is to get into character at least five steps before you're onstage, and stay in character at least five steps after you exit. What I do is I'll hold a conversation backstage as my character, after I'm done running over my lines. Or, if no one I care to talk to is around, I'll walk/prance/stomp/what-have-you around. This way you don't have that time of warming up into your character.

Friend me on facebook or follow me on tumblr or deviantart~!
Facebook
Tumblr
Deviantart
o0Hitsuzen0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 02:23 AM   #88
rchcc122
Gotta respect the gear.

This is a really useful thread. But, Hitsuzen, I do have to disagree with one thing. If planned and done right (which I'm assuming isn't the case you're talking about, but still) breaking the fourth wall can be a very effective crowd pleaser. I know I love the fourth wall being shattered. It's fun.
Sango (InuYasha- 0%), Kaito Jeanne (Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne- 10%), Sailor Venus (Sailor Moon- 20%), Cowboy!America (Hetalia- 50%), Rainbow Brite (Rainbow Brite- 10%), Railgun (A Certain Magical Index/A Certain Scientific Index - 10%)

Facebook- Almost to 100 likes!

Arizona cosplayer?
rchcc122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #89
o0Hitsuzen0o

Oh, yes, when it's done correctly, it's very amusing. My school just performed Scapin, half of which, the comedy relies on reminding the audience that it's a play and intentionally breaking the fourth wall. I still giggle when TV shows/movies do it, as overdone as it is.

But doing it unintenionally ruins it, and instead of seeing the characters, you'll just see a bunch of cosplayers pretending to be characters running around on stage. Once you realize "Hey, these are my classmates", you'll see them just as your classmate acting, not as "Zerbinette" or "Lady Macbeth".

Friend me on facebook or follow me on tumblr or deviantart~!
Facebook
Tumblr
Deviantart
o0Hitsuzen0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #90
infinitydragon
high caffeene content

A big do, if you are nervous and get a bit of stage fright, try not to panic and rush on and off stage;
I know it can be daunting going out in front of people especialy if its the first time doing a masquerade; the best thing to do is to try and keep calm and focus on your performance rarther than the audience and judges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm17 View Post
I'm not sure it's been said.
Do practice your skit in your full costume.Just to make sure that your costume, wig or prop can handle all you want it to do during your skit!
oh yes, wearing it before so you become aware of how things move on you is an excelent thing to do, you don't want to be performing and having part of your costume ride up in an uncomftable/embarrising place.
Utsuho Reiuzi (Touhou Project)

Cons:
London Expo May 2010
J-Culture Con 2010

infinitydragon is offline   Reply With Quote