Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-09-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
Kaifuku_Ryu
Retired Cosplayer

Exclamation First-Time Con Goers - What you need to know.

I thought it would be nice to give newbies a warning as to what to worry about when attending cons.

Personal Issues:
- Be careful about going to a con if you're a claustrophobic. There are so many people in what seems to be a giant room (dealer's room), but there will really be little personal space. People will surround you at all times, breathing your air. This is not a joke.
- Water is critical. Carry a moderate-sized water bottle with you that you can refill at a nearby restaurant or a water fountain. Germophobes: when it comes to dehydration, try not to be so picky. Water from a water fountain or even tap water is safe to drink when in struggle. We pay millions of tax dollars every year to the government for it to be that way. Take advantage of it.
- Bring with you only as much money as you're willing to spend each day. The best day to buy from the dealer's room is always the last, when they have to leave and they liquidate their items, dropping the prices, sometimes even to half.
- Since you can eat outside the con, food can be as cheap or expensive as you want. Bringing small snacks with you is also a good idea, all the walking and posing won't only dehydrate you but make you hungry as well.
- Make sure your cell phone, camera, and other vital gadgets are fully charged. If anything runs on batteries, slip a few extras in your pocket/bag. The chances of your cell phone searching for signal more than half the time are likely, which drains battery even faster.
- Don't be camera-shy. Practice posing at home in the mirror so you don't have any stray bad shots. People will take pictures, sometimes even without asking you. Get over it. Pose and enjoy the attention.
- Don't be afraid of fangirls. There are always a few who are crazy, but it's not horrible. People will most of the time ask before hugging you or taking a picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazephyr View Post
Stalking/harassment and the like DO happen. As much of a sobering thought as it may be to the first-time con-goer, it's an issue that, sadly, needs to be kept in mind. Remember to be prepared and know how to find security if the need arises. Use common sense and don't hand out your personal information left and right (stalkers will sometimes ask for your phone number/address/e-mail, as weird as such a direct approach may seem). It's also great to have a group, if at all possible, as this will intimidate potentially dangerous individuals.
- Bring your own towel. It's not fun to be the one to shower and realize all the hotel towels had been used by your roommates. I speak from experience. Also bring your own shampoo. The little tiny bottles don't cut it, especially for 3-4 people for 3 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyNerd View Post
-Make sure to bring at least a week's supply of any and all medication you take. This includes (but is not limited to) Advil, Tylenol, Midol, Birth Control, Inhalers, etc.
-Ladies, bring any necessary feminine products, even if you shouldn't get your period during the con. It's better to have and not need than to need and not have.
-Budget your money! If you are going to a con far away, especially if it's in an urban area, realize that food may be more expensive than you are used to, and plan accordingly. Be sure you have enough money to cover your share of the hotel and gas as well as your food budget and spending money.
-Snacks are very important, especially in small-town cons. You'll get out of the con around midnight or later, depending on which events you attend, and it's likely that the hotel restaurant will be closed. In a small-town con, there are few places nearby, so you'll want to be able to eat something.
-Make sure to carry at least pressed powder with you at all times, and reapply frequently. There are very few things in photos that are less attractive than shiny faces.
-It is almost always best to go to your first con with a friend, even a friend who's never been to a con before. Chances are, you'll have a better time--and it's safer to travel in groups.
Preparing for the Con:
- Give yourself plenty of time to design, make/order, and finalize your costume, down to the accessories and gadgets. If ordering items, give plenty of time for shipping, which can take up to 2 weeks.
- Hair is always a hot topic in cosplay. If you're tipsy (even the slightest bit) about dying or cutting your hair, don't. Wigs can be your best friend. If you're a frequent cosplayer, dying your hair should be the last resort. Dying, straightening, and chemical altering of hair can damage it beyond what the eye sees and will need time to recover.
- Make sure you can move around as much as possible while wearing your costume. Wave your arms, turn your head sideways, look down, sit, and walk. If something needs to be adjusted, don't wait until the last day.
- Pack your bag at least 1 day before leaving home. The moment you're leaving, double check your bag for the vitals.
- Make lodging arrangements. This is very important. Do not wait until the moment you leave the facility to figure out where you're spending the night. Talk to your friends weeks beforehand.

Costume Issues:
- To keep your costumes neat after each night, place the clothing items in a hanger. If the costume is wrinkled, put the hanger in the bathroom while you take a hot shower. The steam will stress the fabric and cool it down in such a way that it will be seemingly wrinkle-free. Keep your accessories and props organized on a table or a floor corner, just as long as you know where it is. At the end of the night, to ensure nothing will stain/wrinkle your costume, simply get a large garbage bag, make a hole in the top, and stick the hook of the hanger through it. Hang it somewhere safe.
- It is recommendable that you leave your house/hotel room completely dressed and with your makeup already on, but if you must apply it at the con, absolutely bring your own compact mirror. The bathrooms are always overcrowded, and everyone will be trying to use the mirrors at the same time. Don't stress out when you can't apply the makeup yourself, simply ask someone. Someone in the bathroom will always be willing to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyNerd View Post
Sewing kit:
-Thread (in every colour that appears in the costume)
-Scissors
-Needle
-Spare buttons
-Straightpins
-Safety pins
-Sticky-back velcro

List of Vitals:

- Wallet
- Cell phone
- Camera
- Water
- Snacks
- Extra batteries for electronics
- Tissues
- Makeup kit (for touchups, includes, but is not limited to: foundation, lipstick, eyeliner, blush, and eyeshadow)
- Deodorant
- Stain Removal Stick
- Hair wax or spiking glue (if you used it earlier for your hair)
- Contact case and solution (if you use them)
- Over-the counter painkiller of choice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there is anything I forgot to put here, post it.

Last edited by Kaifuku_Ryu : 07-13-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Kaifuku_Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
Kaifuku_Ryu
Retired Cosplayer

I didn't think I should put costume advice because that's what this entire site is for.
Unread 07-09-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
kayandhearts
kay

i think you shouldnt put full on costume advice but more costumes at con advice if that makes sence like packing your costume how to keep it nice in a hotel room makeup and hair tuchups in crowded bathrooms ext... im new to cosplaying but im not new to cons ive seen people from going with amazing makeup hair and costumes and their making completely coming off there hair/wigs getting ruined and there costumes ending up fully rinkled so it be nice for newbies like me to know how to keep that from happening. Great tips though! thankyou

kay
megacon

cosplays
Luka-vocaloid
starfire- teen titans
quorra- tron legacy
kayandhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2008, 11:50 PM   #4
Kaifuku_Ryu
Retired Cosplayer

I will see about those tips. Thanks for the imput.

On a different note, should this maybe be sticky?
Unread 07-10-2008, 05:17 AM   #5
kayandhearts
kay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaifuku_Ryu View Post
I will see about those tips. Thanks for the imput.

On a different note, should this maybe be sticky?
hmmm maybe im not fully sure im still new here
megacon

cosplays
Luka-vocaloid
starfire- teen titans
quorra- tron legacy
Unread 07-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #6
Kaifuku_Ryu
Retired Cosplayer

So tips on keeping makeup on and costumes neat overnight...? And using makeup in a crowded bathroom... I could stick that in.
Unread 07-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
kayandhearts
kay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaifuku_Ryu View Post
So tips on keeping makeup on and costumes neat overnight...? And using makeup in a crowded bathroom... I could stick that in.
lol that would be great thanks! -kay
megacon

cosplays
Luka-vocaloid
starfire- teen titans
quorra- tron legacy
Unread 07-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
Kazephyr
Shapeshifter

Not a bad idea for a thread; your first time at a con (or preparing for one) can be pretty confusing. ^^;;

Just to be on the safe side, maybe bring about awareness of potential dangers at cons?

Stalking/harassment and the like DO happen. As much of a sobering thought as it may be to the first-time con-goer, it's an issue that, sadly, needs to be kept in mind. Remember to be prepared and know how to find security if the need arises. Use common sense and don't hand out your personal information left and right (stalkers will sometimes ask for your phone number/address/e-mail, as weird as such a direct approach may seem). It's also great to have a group, if at all possible, as this will intimidate potentially dangerous individuals.

Last edited by Kazephyr : 07-10-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Kazephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
Kaifuku_Ryu
Retired Cosplayer

I will add and edit when I come back from work today.
Unread 07-10-2008, 09:24 PM   #10
XxMarilynxX
Junior

It's really nice to see this information. I wish I had seen it before I went to my first con! Luckily I had some common sense and brought a majority of my necessities. Nonetheless, I really could have used some water... and creeper awareness tips.

The next con I'm going to is going to be my first time travelling to a con. I'm really quite nervous. I really would appreciate some tips on keeping my cosplays neat!

Yuki Nagato [Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya]

AE 2009

I don't even know if I'm going!
XxMarilynxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 10:36 PM   #11
Kaifuku_Ryu
Retired Cosplayer

Edited. Kazephyr, I quoted you on your paragraph.
Unread 07-11-2008, 08:12 AM   #12
Kazephyr
Shapeshifter

Marilyn: I usually wear my costume on the trip to the con, so I don't know anything about keeping them neat during transportation, if that's what you mean. ^^;; Sorry. ^^;;

Kaifuku_Ryu: Thank you for adding that bit. ^^
Unread 07-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #13
Adachan
I love Sunako Nakahara!

Thanks for posting this. I am going to my first con in September (and my first cosplay yikes) and the advice you have given really helps.
Adachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2008, 10:35 PM   #14
Kaifuku_Ryu
Retired Cosplayer

No problem, Adachan. I'm always here to help. If you have any other questions at all, don't hesitate to PM me.
Unread 07-12-2008, 09:20 PM   #15
KisuMisuNingyo
Magic Loli/Hara Girl!~

Arigatougozaimasu~

This is very helpful! thank you so much! I'm just so excited to represent Higurashi. <3
KisuMisuNingyo is offline   Reply With Quote