Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 07-02-2003, 09:54 PM   #1
carly579
Voice of Kiriko Misaki^^

more curling tips please!

Okay so last night I spent all night on my mihoshi wig. It turned out...okay I guess. It was my first time curling and it didn't turn out at all like the pics I've seen. Maybe cause my wig was so long (about to my tailbone) but it only half curled. i kind had to fry it. After the hair dryer method didn't work I rerolled it and...stuck it in the oven on 170 for 2 minutes! It kinda curlled after that. Also how do you use caulking? I used to hold the bangs up, but it looks a little iky! ^_^ fortuntaly I'm wearing a hat that covers up the gross parts.
carly579 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2003, 03:22 PM   #2
makonurikoryoko

Im in nee dfor curling tips too! ^^;;; anyone have any?
should I put mine in teh oven? o.O seems a bit rash.... I need to just curl the ends
makonurikoryoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2003, 03:51 PM   #3
erikadoor

Erika here.

Actually, I always found the best way to curl a wig that will allow you to remove the curls later [if you wish] is just to use your curling iron...however, make a fabric cover for it so the metal doesn't directly touch the hair. Also, use it at a very low setting. It make take a little while for the curl to set, but you get the curl you want and won't destroy the wig.

Erika Door
http://www.erikadoor.com
erikadoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2003, 04:29 PM   #4
megumibish
I should be drawing Yaoi.

I've done the blowdryer method and it worked fine for me. I used large foam rollars and I got nice loose curls. I did what www.amphigory.com said, which was to heat it and then let the hair cool to set it. Plastic must be coached into place. And letting it cool while the curlers are still in works the best. Oh and I like the suggestion about putting fabric around the hair. I've curled little extensions pieces without them on a regular curling iron and they came out fine. Just don't plan anytime soon to try to straighten it again thou' imho. It's a pain in the a$$. Or you could do this(what's done with synthetic hair for black hair styles). Put your wig on a styrofoam head and pin it into place. Put the hair into perm rods, they rock when it comes down to getting a really good curl(make sure to roll the hair tip to end otherwise you could kill the curl while taking it out), get some curler paper to help with uneven ends then immerse the wig into water around 87 degree and leave it in for like 3 minutes to 5. Then let the wig airdry with the curlers still in, until it's completely dry. This could take more than a whole day btw. Then remove the curlers. If your scared and or not sure how it will come out/needing more time to get a better curl.I suggest using a test piece from the same wig since not all wigs are made with the same type of plastics. Some react differently. Just cut a small section from one of the wefts close to the nape of the wig *or anywhere so it isn't obvious you cut out a piece* and just curl that around the curler. *Don't try to dry it quicker with a blowdryer* because it may effect the hair differently and it may give you the incorrect results. Hope this helps.
megumibish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2003, 06:36 PM   #5
carly579
Voice of Kiriko Misaki^^

I would be careful with the oven. I used a test piece to see what happened. Also after i got it out of the oven I put into the fridge to cool faster it was more like baking a cake ^_^
carly579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2003, 02:06 AM   #6
KaraokeKate
The Wig Lady

Wigs aren't cakes. Putting one in the oven not only has a huge chance of ruining the wig, but it's a fire hazard.

Oven temperatures vary... a LOT. They also have "hot spots" where the heat is more extreme than in other locations.

Use the curler and blow-dryer method that's on Amphigory. It's the same method I use, and has been very successful in producing a wide range of curls without damaging the wigs.

www.katiebair.com
KaraokeKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2005, 05:51 PM   #7
BeforeCrisis
Queen of the Internet

What about curling tips for real hair? How do you get it to hold all day without making your hair all greasy and nasty with lots of hair spray?
BeforeCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2005, 06:11 PM   #8
lavender_mists

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeforeCrisis
What about curling tips for real hair? How do you get it to hold all day without making your hair all greasy and nasty with lots of hair spray?
I'm prety old fashioned when it comes to curling hair so I stick with rollers. But when you know that your hair has dried properly in the curlers, a fine mist of hair spray over them will be fine for the day as long as you don't play with them too much.

My hair is pretty dry so I tend not to use a hairdryer to completely dry the hair in curlers, but if you have one of those dryers where you can choose to have warm or cool air. Those work the best for me as the cool air sets the curl even more for me.
lavender_mists is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2005, 08:33 PM   #9
Ah_BeA
Needles are your friend

I'm not sure if you guys are doing it or not, but you do know that you should start with a wet wig right? o_O

also, after the hair is dried from the wet curls, let it stand alone with the curls for a couple of hours and it'd be real bouncy and curlish, but i'm not sure how long it'd remain that way though.

Sorri if i sounded like an ass? :-s not trying too- just too into finding good cheap wigs right now :s

ja ne!

-Bb
Ah_BeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2005, 07:23 AM   #10
Ciarathallya
Ragnacrack Cosplay Addict

I'm concerned rollers won't work for mine because I have to make uber large 5 inch flip curls. I need to figure out a way to make them hold.
Unread 03-10-2005, 11:30 AM   #11
CosplayerGabi
Shotgun Badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciarathallya
I'm concerned rollers won't work for mine because I have to make uber large 5 inch flip curls. I need to figure out a way to make them hold.

Can you show us a picture?

Big curls you say? Would an empty soda can be the right diameter? Cause I can give tips on that.
Unread 03-10-2005, 11:35 AM   #12
Ciarathallya

OMG yeah that big.
Unread 03-10-2005, 11:56 AM   #13
Ciarathallya

Ok I found the pic of it. Well a sprite. But the are huge flip curls.
Attached Images
File Type: gif violy.gif (72.3 KB, 0 views)
Unread 03-10-2005, 11:57 AM   #14
Oselle
Froufaholic

le sigh...I seem to have a wig that simply defies curling. I've tried the amphigory.com method of curlers/hot water/blowdry twice on this thing, and it simply refuses to hold the curl. It's not a super-high quality wig, but it's not terrible either (it is a medium length synthetic fibre wig). I'm open to any and all suggestions.
Unread 03-10-2005, 01:41 PM   #15
CosplayerGabi
Shotgun Badass

OMG BIG curl

For the OMG big curls:

A mid back length wig. You'll have to trim it if it's longer. Longer hair = heavier which makes holding the curl harder.

Enough empty soda cans to hold the hair in the position you wish to curl it. I think about 4-5 would do.

A utility knife

Smooth bobby pins without kinks or some other way to hold the cans in the hair.

-------------
To prepare the cans cut a 1/4" slit every 2 inches about 1/2 inch from the edge of the can on each end.

This is to give the bobby pins a way to hold onto the can

Now put your wig on a wigstand and roll up equal amounts of hair on each can using the little slits to insert bobby pins into the can to hold the can in place on the hair.

Now you are going to apply even heat from a hair dryer over each part of the curl especially pay attention to the bottom of the curl because that's the spine that will hold the hair up. You will be heating up the can in this process and that will ensure that the hair on the inside of the curl will get some heat too. But be careful not to over heat.

When you are done with that leave.... go do something else...cook dinner, go sew, go for a walk... just don't touch the wig.

It needs to cool completly to hold the curl. and with the cans being warm that may take a while. If you come back and a can is still warm at all go away again.

Spray it with a bit of hold spray. Don't douse the thing.

When that dries gently take out the bobby pins and slowly slide the can out of the curl. The hair will stay in the form in which it cooled and dried.