Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Closed Thread
Unread 07-16-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
hooraytheweird
Bad Wolf

Need costume/lace help/opinions please!

Okay, so I've been considering doing a lolita outfit for years, and I finally decided to get down to designing a dress. I rather like what I ended up designing, but I'd love the opinion of this forum. The things I'm worried about are:

-Is black and white way too overdone, or is it just not done at all?
-Is there too much lace? I was afraid it looked a little...Bo Peepish.
-Is there anyway I could do something other than Mary Janes? Something like...this? Sans platforms though.

Here's my design:

Linkeh!

All your comments/critiques are appreciated!

In the works:

Kaoru, Ouran High School Host Club (98%) [premiered at Oni-Con '08]
Steampunk Costume, clothes (35%), equipment/props (45%) [most likely to premiere at Steam-Con San Antonio '09]

"I manned up and ate those damn wasabi balls!" "...You manned up and cried too."

Last edited by hooraytheweird : 07-17-2008 at 12:28 AM.

Unread 07-16-2008, 11:56 PM   #2
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

the only thing i got right now is that with your design i don't think the boots really work well...

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
Unread 07-17-2008, 12:12 AM   #3
Meiki

-I'm not a fan of black and white myself, just because it is really common, especially for people just starting out. But that's just my opinion, it's perfectly acceptable.

-I'd lose a lot of the lace on the bottom, one layer will really be fine. If you want to supplement that with something, you could always put a black ruffle on the bottom behind the lace.

-Those are some mighty delicious boots. They'd be fine for punk lolita, but anything other than that they're a little too much.

You know, I hate to sound so discouraging, but I also might warn you against mini top hats. I've rarely seen them handmade well unless someone has done previous millinery work, they often end up strangely proportioned.
Unread 07-17-2008, 12:17 AM   #4
hooraytheweird
Bad Wolf

Thank you both, and Meiki, I actually already have the top hat! It was made by somebody else and I picked it up at the last Oni-Con, so no worries about it being disproportionate.

In the works:

Steampunk Costume, clothes (35%), equipment/props (45%) [most likely to premiere at Steam-Con San Antonio '09]

"I manned up and ate those damn wasabi balls!" "...You manned up and cried too."
Unread 07-17-2008, 12:22 AM   #5
Kaimana Scarlet
I needz frills moar

your design looks pretty good, but i would loose at least three rows of the lace around the bottom , and that little hat. i would suggest a headbow or something instead.

black and white is fine but i really dont like it much because it is just soooo generic and kinda blah. don't get me wrong, ive seen some amazing bXw coordinates, but for the most part i just dont like it.

those boots just dont work for this outfit at all. they would be fine (even with the platforms!) with punk loli though.

and, last off, lolita is NOT, i repeat NOT cosplay. NOT COSPLAY. lolita is a FASHION. we are not dressing up as someone else when wearing it, we are ourselves in these clothes, if frillier than usual.
Halloween skirt: 50%
BlackxWhite Lolita w/ parasol: 100%
Unread 07-17-2008, 12:28 AM   #6
hooraytheweird
Bad Wolf

Sorry, sorry! I'm so used to the rest of these forums! (And y'know, the whole logo up in the corner.) Lolita outfit, is that better? So, what I'm getting here is, lose most of the bottom lace, don't wear the boots, maybe don't do black and white. Does anyone have any suggestions for punk lolita? Is there a designated board somewhere?

In the works:

Unread 07-17-2008, 12:35 AM   #7
Kaimana Scarlet
I needz frills moar

its alright, its a common mistake but many of us get slightly offended when people refer to our outfits as "costumes" :/

i think your heading in a good direction though.

Last edited by Kaimana Scarlet : 07-17-2008 at 12:55 AM.
Unread 07-17-2008, 03:16 AM   #8
Ringo_Tan
It Came From Outer Space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiki View Post
You know, I hate to sound so discouraging, but I also might warn you against mini top hats. I've rarely seen them handmade well unless someone has done previous millinery work, they often end up strangely proportioned.
Handmade hats seem difficult to make o.o. But, The hat got from Ling Lam that I wore with my very first dress now looks wearable! I took off the mile of cheap lace and cut down on the mesh, and it looks beautiful!

I don't mind B & W so much, because, you guys say its done so often, but, I see it so rarely done these days! Its mostly a sweet dress, or a classic dress. I rarely see any b & w dresses.

Those boots wouldn't work with a gothic lolita coordinate, but, it would be great for Punk!
Unread 07-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #9
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo_Tan View Post
I don't mind B & W so much, because, you guys say its done so often, but, I see it so rarely done these days! Its mostly a sweet dress, or a classic dress. I rarely see any b & w dresses.
You know, I see bxw stuff on daily_lolita quite a bit, it's just not often black with white lace. I'm not a big fan of it because I hate stark contrasts between fabrics and lace, so dark fabric and white lace bothers the hell out of me.

There's a pretty good guide for punk over here: http://community.livejournal.com/egl/3066586.html Some good brands to look at are Sex Pot Revenge, Sexy Dynamite London, h.Naoto, and (probably the most "lolita" of the bunch) Putumayo. Punk lolita is pretty hard to get right though. Here is a super good example from daily_lolita the other day. You really have to be able to get a good balance of punk while still maintaining the lolita style.
Unread 07-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #10
Ringo_Tan

Quote:
You know, I see bxw stuff on daily_lolita quite a bit, it's just not often black with white lace. I'm not a big fan of it because I hate stark contrasts between fabrics and lace, so dark fabric and white lace bothers the hell out of me.
I was referring to the lace. The White Blouse + Black JSK is done often, but, rarely do I see Black & White done as an OP, because everyone is so radical about it. It is just a tad discouraging.

And, confusing. I wanted to get this one Black & White dress from Baby, and everyone kept telling me how it wasn't gothic lolita because of the style, and that it was more sweet. @__@ Is it gothic or sweet...? Example, I want this from Rakuen (Its not all bad, honest!)
http://rakuen.trauma-radio.net/catal...ses/r72bw.html
Would this be Sweet or Gothic...?

Or this, http://rakuen.trauma-radio.net/catal...sses/352b.html
Gothic? Or something else?

I'm very O/T I know .__.
Unread 07-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #11
Kaimana Scarlet
I needz frills moar

the style or cut is what defines it as sweet or gothic in my opinion, not the color. the first one looks very sweet to me, whereas the second is sorta classic/gothic.
Unread 07-17-2008, 07:24 PM   #12
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimana Scarlet View Post
the style or cut is what defines it as sweet or gothic in my opinion, not the color. the first one looks very sweet to me, whereas the second is sorta classic/gothic.
See I don't understand the "cut makes the loli" mentality. I can see that with things like classic, it's got a pretty obvious difference between everything else, what with being more a-line instead of cupcake. But what, for example, is a gothic dress in your eyes?

Because I don't see that much difference between the cut of a Moitie dress, for example, and a Baby dress. And if the Moitie dress has flowers all over it and the Baby dress is all black are they still their respective brand's main style?
Unread 07-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #13
*Le*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo_Tan View Post

And, confusing. I wanted to get this one Black & White dress from Baby, and everyone kept telling me how it wasn't gothic lolita because of the style, and that it was more sweet. @__@ Is it gothic or sweet...? Example, I want this from Rakuen (Its not all bad, honest!)
http://rakuen.trauma-radio.net/catal...ses/r72bw.html
Would this be Sweet or Gothic...?

Or this, http://rakuen.trauma-radio.net/catal...sses/352b.html
Gothic? Or something else?

I'm very O/T I know .__.
it depends ALOT on how you wear it.

your makeup, accessories and just the overall feel of the outfit. color of the dress or skirt does NOT dictate what type of lolita you end up being at all.

Iíve done gothic lolita in pink (which I donít think Iíve ever seen anyone else do it really, now that I think about itÖ.though this mostly to do with the goth lolis never gravitating to pink)

Unfortunately I donít have any pictures of that outfit as of now, but I could describe it if youíd like ^^;;

Annyways, black is extremely easy to turn into gothic, hell most people tend to think that because its black it IS gothic :/

as for the second link itís definitely more gothic, but if you tried hard enough it could be sweet. If you take that specific blouse away and wear it with a pink blouse or a short sleeved camisole and the add something like BABYs teddy eared cutsew/bolero in pink with pink socks, pink hair bow and black shoes (to balance out the skirt) it would definitely end up sweet. Even with that same blouse on, you could turn it sweet by adding some sweets jewelry, NOT overdoing the makeup and pairing it up with some teaparty or other forms of overtly cute shoes.

But honestly, does it really matter what type of lolita it is? How Ďbout you just wear lolita outfit and hell with categorization. Its what I do :/

Last edited by *Le* : 07-17-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Unread 07-17-2008, 09:40 PM   #14
Ringo_Tan

Quote:
See I don't understand the "cut makes the loli" mentality. I can see that with things like classic, it's got a pretty obvious difference between everything else, what with being more a-line instead of cupcake. But what, for example, is a gothic dress in your eyes?

Because I don't see that much difference between the cut of a Moitie dress, for example, and a Baby dress. And if the Moitie dress has flowers all over it and the Baby dress is all black are they still their respective brand's main style?
I know, I agree 100%. It doesn't make any sense to me. A lot of dresses look the same to me, give or take a few details. But, a lot of people share this mentality, so, I had to ask.

And, I don't see how pink = gothic lolita. Maybe Pink x Black, but, when paired with the matching accessories, wouldn't it turn out to be more of a Punk or casual coordinate than a gothic?
Unread 07-17-2008, 11:02 PM   #15
Kaimana Scarlet
I needz frills moar

Quote:

haha, i cant really even explain it to myself, so I'll just stop
Closed Thread