Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 4.98 average.
Unread 07-26-2008, 02:50 AM   #16
Vince Noir
Queen of the Nerds

The post above the picture link is where I said it was a dark grey.

Unread 07-26-2008, 03:30 AM   #17
benihime
Kimono Queen

apologies, i thought you were inputing that for the last conversation .sorry >.<

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 02:19 PM   #18
Cora
Shine Forever

Does anyone have any advice/opinions on conditioning a wig that has been dyed with FW ink? I'm working on a longer one right now, and trying to detangle it is something of a nightmare because I feel like the fibers are sticking together. So far I've been using the Motion's Oil Sheen to help, but I wasn't sure if there was a better solution.
Cora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #19
Kiroko

Does this method work well for gradient/tipping wigs?

Is it okay to just leave a bottle that has the alcohol/dye in it to use at a later time for other wigs?

:D
Kiroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 04:22 PM   #20
Lothlin

Yes, it works for gradients/tipping. I did it, see ;p -> http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1296072/ . Keep the spray localized, combing it through a little doesn't hurt. I probably could have gotten more of a gradient if I had gone over the tips (not the entire thing, just the tips,) another time to get more ink on there, but that wasn't the look I was going for. Remember the ink is translucent, so if you just get the color you're going for (and don't plan for color mixing,) you might end up a few shades off - What character are you trying to do?

Saving dye works for a while too. keep it in an airtight bottle though, else it will evaporate, and you're going to have to shake it up really well before you use it again. FW ink settles more than sharpie dye does.
Lothlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 09:49 PM   #21
venusgal100
Melissa McEagle

Well, on a trip to San Francisco, I was able to get a hold of some FW Ink (and my mom fell in love with Blick's Art Supplies. xD). I should be able to start dying by this weekend. I just have one question, will heat be a problem for drying and spraying? I live in Phoenix, Arizona and this weekend's projected forecast is from 104-105 F (40 C). I don't want to do it inside because I know it's going to smell horrible. So, will dying the wig and leaving it to dry in that weather affect the color? Or should I wait until fall/winter?

Last edited by venusgal100 : 08-18-2008 at 09:52 PM.
venusgal100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 10:13 PM   #22
Lothlin

Heat is good for drying (though humidity can hurt things.) It really won't hurt it, hell, it'll make it dry faster XD. I don't think FW is heat reactive, it should be fine - you could always test it on a small patch first to see.
Unread 08-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #23
Kiroko

No specific character, just out of curiosity.

Also, is it possible to get kind of faded colors with the ink?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...WIGS/short.jpg

the pink color is what i'm looking for. Just that grayish-faded kind of colors. I guess would adding a drop or two of black (gray?) work for that? Or does that only make a deeper pink?
Kiroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #24
Lothlin

You'd be better taking a white wig and dying it up to that pink; black would make the color darker, not fade it like that, and you can't make a wig lighter. What you'd want to do is use the recipe and add white to the mix to desaturate the color a little. It should do the trick. If it came out too dark the first time, you could always use a stronger alcohol, rinse it out, and try again.
Unread 08-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #25
myoukin

I was wondering if the FW Ink Dye Method would be able to give a one-tone wig blends. I have a spare 613 blond wig that I want to give Golden Auburn blends to. What I mean isn't those large chunky blends that resemble clip-ons on a wig but evenly spaced and separated by a small amount of strands. Is it also possible to give a pure brown wig blends with black?

As for localizing in gradient tipping, how do you localize it on spikes only on a short to medium wig? Especially when your spray bottle has a somewhat medium range in spraying.

I also discovered that using the Ship&Shape method of washing your wig also washes out most of the FW Ink dye that you put on a wig.
myoukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2008, 04:34 PM   #26
Yumei

HELP! This may have been already asked numerous times but I can't find a CLEAR answer after 3 days of searching and reading so can ANYBODY answer: I have a light blonde wig I want to dye silver/grey. Is this possible using the FW ink wig method? Has anybody done this and what were the results? What colors of ink do I need to buy to make this possible?
The character I'm cosplaying is Riku from Kingdom Hearts, but it's a halloween version. His hair is silver but I'm thinking a greyish will do since its a halloween version and I would suspect is hair would change darker as he enters to Halloween Town.
Thanks to anyone who can answer even if it'd not the answer I wanna hear!
Yumei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #27
Lothlin

Maybe. It depends how light of a blonde the wig is and how dark of grey you plan on going; You won't be able to get silver, and you won't be able to get it as pale as would be accurate I don't think, but you might be able to coax the wig into some approximation. It'd just probably be a little on the dark side.

Get yourself cool grey (or silver, it probably won't make a huge difference,) and just do your best to find a mixture that covers up the blonde without being too dark.
Unread 09-06-2008, 02:38 AM   #28
Dal_Segno
Who loves, raves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusgal100 View Post
Well, on a trip to San Francisco, I was able to get a hold of some FW Ink (and my mom fell in love with Blick's Art Supplies. xD). I should be able to start dying by this weekend. I just have one question, will heat be a problem for drying and spraying? I live in Phoenix, Arizona and this weekend's projected forecast is from 104-105 F (40 C). I don't want to do it inside because I know it's going to smell horrible. So, will dying the wig and leaving it to dry in that weather affect the color? Or should I wait until fall/winter?
I, as well as Honey Bunny, live[d] in Phoenix, so no worries. If there was a heat issue, I would know by now. :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoukin View Post
I was wondering if the FW Ink Dye Method would be able to give a one-tone wig blends. I have a spare 613 blond wig that I want to give Golden Auburn blends to. What I mean isn't those large chunky blends that resemble clip-ons on a wig but evenly spaced and separated by a small amount of strands. Is it also possible to give a pure brown wig blends with black?

As for localizing in gradient tipping, how do you localize it on spikes only on a short to medium wig? Especially when your spray bottle has a somewhat medium range in spraying.

I also discovered that using the Ship&Shape method of washing your wig also washes out most of the FW Ink dye that you put on a wig.
-It depends on how you apply it. It's an art, so if you can localize the strands you want, it's possible.

-Stand further back and use something to prevent the spray from reaching the parts you don't want dye on.

-I've never used [or even heard of] the Ship and Shape method, so could you please elaborate? D:

And it seems that Lothlin has been doing a fine job keeping up on this thread. :]

Assassin: "Where are you going?"
Tealīc: "I am leaving. You are about to explode."

~~~~

FW Ink Wig Dye FAQ
Icon by: Silfar

Dal_Segno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #29
myoukin

Quote:
-I've never used [or even heard of] the Ship and Shape method, so could you please elaborate? D:
I was looking for a method on how to wash off wigs with spikes, since most of mine are really spikey. So I searched and found taeliac's tutorial on washing wigs. What I liked about it is that a few spoons is enough to wash several wigs, but it also strips it of almost all the dye.

I'm not suer if you're allowed to link here but, http://taeliac.deviantart.com/art/Mi...-wigs-73375067

And thanks for the advice, I'll be trying that.
myoukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 11:12 PM   #30
Dal_Segno
Who loves, raves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoukin View Post
I was looking for a method on how to wash off wigs with spikes, since most of mine are really spikey. So I searched and found taeliac's tutorial on washing wigs. What I liked about it is that a few spoons is enough to wash several wigs, but it also strips it of almost all the dye.

I'm not suer if you're allowed to link here but, http://taeliac.deviantart.com/art/Mi...-wigs-73375067

And thanks for the advice, I'll be trying that.
Check the box for ingredients. I have a feeling that there may be alcohol or some other harsh additive in there that's striping the dye. [Ship-Shape seems to be made for brushes and combes only, not wigs... and there is wig shampoo out there too, so it's not the only method for washing wigs.]

Assassin: "Where are you going?"
Tealīc: "I am leaving. You are about to explode."

~~~~

FW Ink Wig Dye FAQ
Icon by: Silfar

Dal_Segno is offline   Reply With Quote