Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 4.98 average.
Unread 11-23-2008, 12:19 AM   #46
oslapedo
Gangster Cosplayer [desu]

Will this method of dying work on the "New Look" wigs?
oslapedo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #47
Truthdel

I have hear copic ink works too, have any opinion of it?
Truthdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 05:24 PM   #48
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

Copic works just fine, there's a separate thread on this method on the forums though (but it works the same way, except for the mix ratio.)

As for New Look wigs, not really, since the fiber (Eleora) doesn't take the dye as well. It's basically hit or miss, but it should work for light colors. The dye just won't stop bleeding when you rinse the wig. (You can also buy Katie Bair's new formula wig dye, which is made for Eleora fiber too.)
Kukkii-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 02:27 AM   #49
themarchingoboe

Quote:
Originally Posted by onigirix View Post
Newbie question here!

I'm going to help my friend with her Mukuro wig and it's a dark blue color... Like this!
Should I buy a light colored wig (white or blonde) and then dye with FW Ink or am I better off buying a darker color wig and dying it from there? Will it even get that dark with a blonde wig? Thanks in advance!
People were just talking about this on the true thread (here: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=57484). It's on the most recent page.
themarchingoboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #50
Hiyoko-chan
::Totally Toasty Teeny::

This is my first attempt at this method so i just want to get things straight before i start XD SO, in order to get a lighter color in this case Light blue [i'm shooting more for like a sky blue] would it be best to just add white to the blue in in the same recommended ratio? [8 squeezes per 1 cup alchohol (like 3 squeezes blue and 5 squeezes white)] or would it be best to just alter the ratio to only use a slight bit of dye.. i'm assuming adding white since i'm sure more alcohol concentration would run the ink.. but just checking LOL XD

+ COSPLAY SALE & COMMISSIONS + - http://www.totallytoasty.com/Photo.html

Catch me over here too!
Deviantart - http://hiyoko-chan.deviantart.com/
Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/xHiyokoChanx
Hiyoko-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 11:52 PM   #51
Zipchan

If I were you, I'd add the white ink in drop by drop until you get a good color.
Zipchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #52
otaku_ken
Wait, 10 DAYS! OMG *sew*

I was wondering, if you use a higher percentage of alcohol (ex 92%), what exactly will happen. Because i want to dye a platinum blonde wig this color

this is the platinum wig.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...r=1-16&seller=

this is the wig color
http://randomc.animeblogger.net/imag...20Swimsuit.jpg

this the colors: basically using a combination of shimmering blue and cool gray from this site.
http://www.dickblick.com/products/fw...t-artists-ink/
otaku_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #53
Zipchan

Ken: I wouldn't use any greater concentration than 70 percent, because anything higher than that will just make the dye slide right off again.

As far as the color mix for Villetta's hair, I think shimmering blue and cool grey would work. Maybe an 8:2 ratio would work? (8 being grey, 2 being blue)
Zipchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 02:53 AM   #54
Kyna
Unrestrained Struggle

Very helpful thread

Although it's difficult to find acrylic ink here in our place. I wonder if it's okay to resort with acrylic paint and use the same method as what people usually do with acrylic ink?
Unread 02-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #55
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

Nope, acrylic paint is something entirely different. But you should be able to find Copic or Sharpie or some other alcohol-based permanent marker (there are also separate threads on how to use both of these brands. Copic ink is great because it has a huge color choice and you can use the refill bottles, rather than buying indivicual markers.)
Unread 02-17-2009, 01:48 AM   #56
adrawer4ever
King of Spain

My apologies if this post is misplaced.

Been scouring around for hours now in preparation to dye a cosworx Amanda wig.
(I'll definitely be pretesting the dye)

But was wondering if the dye mixture dries significantly darker/lighter/brighter than when it's still wet? Or is the color of your solution going to dry pretty close to the same color?
adrawer4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2009, 02:37 AM   #57
benihime
Kimono Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrawer4ever View Post
My apologies if this post is misplaced.

Been scouring around for hours now in preparation to dye a cosworx Amanda wig.
(I'll definitely be pretesting the dye)

But was wondering if the dye mixture dries significantly darker/lighter/brighter than when it's still wet? Or is the color of your solution going to dry pretty close to the same color?
it most likely will be the same color. but i suggest you do a test strip with some fibers from your wig to be sure

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #58
Kyna
Unrestrained Struggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukkii-san View Post
Nope, acrylic paint is something entirely different. But you should be able to find Copic or Sharpie or some other alcohol-based permanent marker (there are also separate threads on how to use both of these brands. Copic ink is great because it has a huge color choice and you can use the refill bottles, rather than buying indivicual markers.)
Good thing I went back here to check XD I was planning to test the acrylic paint tomorrow. Thanks Kukkii-san!
Unread 02-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #59
otaku_ken
Wait, 10 DAYS! OMG *sew*

I have a weird question. I recently got my fw ink, but it wasn't what i thought. The shimmering blue is actually just a pale color with a blot of small blue sparkles in it. The pale gray is also really strong. And i need my wig to be grayish blue. I was wondering if i could add blue sharpie ink to my mix to make the solution more blue?

here is a picture
http://www.kiri-no-hana.net/vileohgi...t-tempo_04.jpg
otaku_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 11:10 PM   #60
Lunairetic
is banned from the Epoch!

Hi there. Forgive me my n00b-ish question, but...

I've just recently dyed my wig and extensions using this method, and I had done a color test with the dye before and it was fine, but now that I've finished dying everything, I've realized after looking everything over under sunlight, that the color needs to be more blue. So. Here's my question:

Do I need to strip the dye off the wig (and the extensions too) BEFORE I redye the wig? Or is it ok to just mix a new batch of dye and spray over the first dye job? I'm just concerned that all that dye on the wig will affect the texture and shine... OR that the alcohol in the next dye mixture I use if I just dye over the current color will remove or mess up the first layer of color I've put on. Does anyone have any thoughts?

(Oh, and my wig is already washed and rinsed out after the first dye. If I wasn't unhappy with the color, it would be ready to style.)

Thanks!

Convention Itinerary For 2012 & 2013:

Anime USA
MAGFest
Katsucon
Otakon
Dragon*Con
Lunairetic is offline   Reply With Quote