Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.94 average.
Unread 02-26-2009, 12:38 AM   #61
Annette
Annette1030

Feel free to post how your wigs turned out here:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=172961
Annette is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #62
livingsoul12066

Coming here for (hopefully) a little more specific help.

My cosplay is still in the planning stages, but I've got everything mapped out except the wig. The character in question is Karolina Dean: http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...a-dean_400.jpg. I really want to use the Ashley 850 from New Look, but I've read that New Look wigs don't take dye very well. Is this true of all New Look wigs, or is there something I can do to make FW ink stick better? Better yet, is there a dye that actually likes the New Look wigs?

Thank you very much!
livingsoul12066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #63
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

You can dye Eleora fiber, it just doesn't take the dye as well as Kanekalon fiber. I wouldn't recommend it for a drastic color change, or for a huge project like that one.

You can use Katie Bair's new formula wig dye, it works on Eleora fiber too.

Or you can just get another wig in Kanekalon fiber. For example, the Alice's Dream from Amphigory is pretty much the same as the Ashley 850, and it's dyeable. It's only available in natural colors and white, though. But maybe one of the upcoming cosworx wigs would work for you?
Unread 03-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #64
choco-miruku
Ironically I can't sing.

I'm going to be dyeing this wig in the colour shown and a similarly Angela 750.

The colours of the wig don't come in the exact shades, so I want to dye them to a nice golden blonde so they will. >> They're close in colours, but it irks me.

Some on the yellows FW inks are Brilliant Yellow, Indian Yellow, and Yellow Orche? Are any of these better than the other? I don't want it too dark, but then, I don't want it too light so my friend looks wierd. She's darker toned, and looks better in, like, the midrange blondes. ><' Am I making sense? Would birriliant yellow be perferable?

Doing both of these guys, btw.

Edit: Buying the ink from DickBlick.

and
Rin Kagamine
[Vocaloids] for a friend! :B
Len Kagamine [Vocaloids] for a ANOTHER friend! xB

PLANNED
1) Kaito [moarVocaloids]
2) Marth [SSSB/FE]

Last edited by choco-miruku : 03-01-2009 at 06:16 PM.
choco-miruku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #65
livingsoul12066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukkii-san View Post
You can dye Eleora fiber, it just doesn't take the dye as well as Kanekalon fiber. I wouldn't recommend it for a drastic color change, or for a huge project like that one.

You can use Katie Bair's new formula wig dye, it works on Eleora fiber too.

Or you can just get another wig in Kanekalon fiber. For example, the Alice's Dream from Amphigory is pretty much the same as the Ashley 850, and it's dyeable. It's only available in natural colors and white, though. But maybe one of the upcoming cosworx wigs would work for you?
Okay, thanks. I don't think using a natural-color wig would be a problem, I was planning on having to dye in all the colors anyways.
livingsoul12066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #66
Lunairetic
is banned from the Epoch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunairetic View Post
Hi there. Forgive me my n00b-ish question, but...

I've just recently dyed my wig and extensions using this method, and I had done a color test with the dye before and it was fine, but now that I've finished dying everything, I've realized after looking everything over under sunlight, that the color needs to be more blue. So. Here's my question:

Do I need to strip the dye off the wig (and the extensions too) BEFORE I redye the wig? Or is it ok to just mix a new batch of dye and spray over the first dye job? I'm just concerned that all that dye on the wig will affect the texture and shine... OR that the alcohol in the next dye mixture I use if I just dye over the current color will remove or mess up the first layer of color I've put on. Does anyone have any thoughts?

(Oh, and my wig is already washed and rinsed out after the first dye. If I wasn't unhappy with the color, it would be ready to style.)

Thanks!
Sorry to post again about this, but I'd really like to save myself the trouble of having to strip all the dye from my wig if I don't have to.

My wig did not come out the color I wanted. It just needs a minor color adjustment (more blue tones), so I was wondering if spraying a more diluted (mostly blue) dye mixture over the current dye job would work or if I need to strip the dye from the wig and re-dye the wig from scratch...? Has anyone tried this before? I don't really want to have to re-dye the wig from scratch if all it needs is a minor color tone adjustment... but I'm worried the alcohol from the second dye batch will make the ink from the first run or something...

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Convention Itinerary For 2012 & 2013:

Anime USA
MAGFest
Katsucon
Otakon
Dragon*Con
Lunairetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 05:04 AM   #67
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

It will make the dye run and cause streaks, you'll have to strip the dye from your wig first to be safe, i.e., if you want a solid color and can't live with just adding a few highlights / streaks in the new color. I don't think you'll be able to achieve an even coloring if you apply a second layer of dye, the streaks will show after you've washed out the dye residue.

No one's keeping you from giving it a try, of course, just keep in mind you may end up using more dye (and time, of course) if it doesn't work and you have to re-dye the whole wig after all.
Unread 03-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #68
otaku_ken
Wait, 10 DAYS! OMG *sew*

I going to dye a white wig this color of bluish gray. I was wondering if this is a good combination

here is a reference,

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ed-4copy-3.jpg

and i'm going to to use payness gray and marine blue to get the shade. Wondering if anyone has had some dying experience with that. here is the link

http://www.dickblick.com/products/fw...t-artists-ink/
otaku_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #69
Coffee
uh

Heya, will India Ink work for this? Thanks.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #70
Zexion.6
Has a weakness for Renos

Does anyone know where you can buy a spray bottle?
Anemone- Eureka Seven

Next con-A-kon
Zexion.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #71
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

I recommend these, they're very good for dyeing wigs and easy to handle because they're so small.
Unread 03-14-2009, 06:34 PM   #72
KittyCanuck
Ph.D. in Horribleness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zexion.6 View Post
Does anyone know where you can buy a spray bottle?
Go to your local drugstore or WalMart or Dollar Store, and in the section where they have the "travel size" shampoos and stuff, they usually have small spray bottles.
For larger spray bottles, check out the floral section of WalMart.

<---- I'm the dinosaur, not the dude.
KittyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #73
Nativegirl
the native girl

I'm really sorry if this question is redundant, but I just want to make sure I have this correct.

I'm doing a wig for Nia from GL (click for reference), and while I know her look can be successfully achieved by "frankensteining" wigs and dying chunks, I wanted to go for something a little more gradient. I've noticed that a few Japanese wigs for Sheryl Nome from Macross Frontier have achieved this look, and I wanted to emulate it. Here's basically what I want to do, except I want it to be tinted blue rather than pink:
http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp...a000-038_1.jpg

If I want just a subtle color change (the starting color would be a blonde wig like the one in the picture), this is the method I should use, right?
Unread 03-23-2009, 09:39 PM   #74
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

Nativegirl- ultra diluted, but I think you could achieve that However, keep in mind that if the original wig has too much of a yellow tint, the wig will end up aqua due to the green tones.

And for a question of my own... I'm totally about to click the "buy" button on the ink, so any opinions (even unexperienced!) are very appreciated!

I've got this wig: http://cgi.ebay.com/2-clip-on-JADE-G...QQcmdZViewItem

And I need this color: http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...inkdress02.jpg

I'm thinking black and Marine blue or black and turquoise or Payne's grey with marine/turquoise. Thoughts?

~Ari
Unread 03-26-2009, 08:17 PM   #75
Chibi Yumari
Crazy Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomthief View Post
Nativegirl- ultra diluted, but I think you could achieve that However, keep in mind that if the original wig has too much of a yellow tint, the wig will end up aqua due to the green tones.

And for a question of my own... I'm totally about to click the "buy" button on the ink, so any opinions (even unexperienced!) are very appreciated!

I've got this wig: http://cgi.ebay.com/2-clip-on-JADE-G...QQcmdZViewItem

And I need this color: http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...inkdress02.jpg

I'm thinking black and Marine blue or black and turquoise or Payne's grey with marine/turquoise. Thoughts?

~Ari
I had a similar problem. Payne's grey is not all that grey though. It is like a dark grey green color so I think it may just make your wig dark turquoise already. I'd probably go with black and mix it with a blue or you could even add white to the ink to make it lighter black. Hope it helps.