Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 07-17-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
uniquelychallen
.:Nutter:.

Lolita and the workplace?

Now, im just getting into loli, so I still have all of my jeans and t-shirts and everything. I started working at Walmart {second day today, wo-hoo!} and they have a dress code.

What do other loli's do when it comes to dressing for work or a job interview?

And would anyone have any suggestions for me dressing lolita at work? The dress code is any navy blue shirt for the most part {we are given 2 polo shirts though} and kaki pants/long skirts or blue jeans if you work at night, which i do. Any help?

.:Geek Con 2008:.
Rin {Inuyasha}~25%
EGL Alice~0%
OR Kotoko {Chobits}~5%

.: Dashino Con 2008 :.
Rin {Inuyasha}~25%
Kotoko {Chobits}~5%
EGL~1%

.:No Band Con 2009:.
ABA {Guilty Gear}~0%

uniquelychallen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-17-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
bandXaided
-almost Byaku's alter ego

i don't think lolita is the best thing to wear to a job interview/job, depending. if i were a job interviewer and a prospective employee came in decked out in loli i dont think i'd take them very seriously. and if you wore full loli to work (i hope you don't) you would probably scare off the customers. something casual might barely make it for acceptable for a workplace (office) a plainer skirt and a blouse or something, or in retail, something that isn't too far fetched. i personally don't think you should wear lolita to work because work is work and you really shouldn't wear something "inappropriate" or unfitting to the dress code.

but that's my opinion, me, without ever holding a job ever. i'm a job n00b. =/

but it's really your choice. good luck.

+Cons+
prolly Otakon 2011, maybe NYAF.

You are a neglected Cosplayer when you look for photos of yourself forever after a con and you cannot find more than three. If you are, join the club, and begin your post with something related to neglected cosplayers!

bandXaided is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 12:18 AM   #3
simplechestnut

I had a job once as a telemarketer for a computer repair/security company and my boss really didn't care what I wore unless there was someone coming into the office that day to take a look around the company. But for a job where you are in the public eye you really should be careful. Some jobs wont care what you wear as long as it isn't to reveiling where others will want you to fallow dress codes as closely as possible.

If I where you and I really wanted to wear my Lolita to work I would go over my peices and pick out a few outfits that could match the dress code snap a few pictures then go to my boss and ask them if they would be appropriate. Since you are working night shift your boss might give you the ok but at the same time with you being new they might prefer you stick as close to the dress code as possible, just to see how well you fallow rules.
simplechestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 01:10 AM   #4
Kaimana Scarlet
I needz frills moar

i think that perhaps you should find other times to wear lolita. work is just not the best place for it.
Halloween skirt: 50%
BlackxWhite Lolita w/ parasol: 100%
Kaimana Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 02:16 AM   #5
uniquelychallen
.:Nutter:.

Haha Yeah I realize that. I was considering making an aristocat type of skirt and maybe some hair accessories if I do go in the lolita fashion.

Mostly I was curious about what everyone else did.

.:Geek Con 2008:.
Rin {Inuyasha}~25%
EGL Alice~0%
OR Kotoko {Chobits}~5%

.: Dashino Con 2008 :.
Rin {Inuyasha}~25%
Kotoko {Chobits}~5%
EGL~1%

.:No Band Con 2009:.
ABA {Guilty Gear}~0%

uniquelychallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 04:31 AM   #6
HEART_shaped

This is what always confuses me about Lolita. I wonder if it's like that 'special occasion' wear, or really a 'lifestyle'.

If I were to dress like Lolita to work...I'd avoid it. People come to work, to work. So business attire is usually manditory. I don't even think Wal-Mart allows their employees to wear skirts, or dresses, however conservative.

Last edited by HEART_shaped : 07-18-2008 at 04:33 AM.
HEART_shaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #7
*Le*

Oh honestly people it depends ALOT on your job and of course your outfit....-_-''

i could totally wear lolita to my job if I wanted to....hell now that I think about it I’ve never had job where lolita is inappropriate :/

I don’t think super sweet deco loli would be appropriate for most jobs lol

but Casual loli would be acceptable in a lot of work places I believe.

as well as something more...classic like this:

http://community.livejournal.com/dai...ta/672736.html

http://community.livejournal.com/dai...ta/732803.html

http://community.livejournal.com/dai...ta/727772.html

http://community.livejournal.com/dai...ta/719290.html

its just matter of matching your outfit to your job. unless afcourse you have a very... messy sort of job. like say, a butcher, or generally just something you would see on discovery channels 'dirty jobs'...i'd avoid wearing loli for those type of jobs XD
*Le* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #8
Tabby Catty
Professional Pirate

Yeah, my place where I work probably won't mind since I'm working at an exhibit this summer about Japan and yeah, of course they wouldn't mind as long as it is modest which it is! But yeah, my situation is kind of rare.
Unread 07-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
kuko-chan
Waterbender Extraodinaire

In a place like Walmart or Zellers, your appearance reflects the company. It would probably be inappropriate to be wearing a fancy dress like that. However, if you would in a place where your customers don't see you on a regular basis, like a graphic design studio, you could probably get away with it. Currently I'm working at a stage production company and while I would be spending a majority of my time in the sewing area, it would still be inappropriate for me to wear a full-blown lolita outfit simply because we're required to wear steel-toe shoes and I'm afraid I don't have any beautiful steel-toe lolita shoes. :P
Unread 07-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #10
*Le*

well i've never worked at wallmart but I do shop ther and looking at the way people dress there I don’t see why lolita would be inappropriate at all. like I said casual loli would be acceptable in most places.

The example posted where obviously for more formal/business sort of thing. where more Professional look is required like an office job…I figured most people knew what casual looked like (wasn’t it discussed not so long go) and didn't really need examples.

again you gotta match the outfit to your job.
Unread 07-18-2008, 12:32 PM   #11
*Le*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEART_shaped View Post
This is what always confuses me about Lolita. I wonder if it's like that 'special occasion' wear, or really a 'lifestyle'.
to A Lot of people (myself included) lolita is neither 'special occasion' wear nor ‘lifestyle’.

it's just clothes...just fashion style.
Unread 07-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #12
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Le* View Post
to A Lot of people (myself included) lolita is neither 'special occasion' wear nor ‘lifestyle’.

it's just clothes...just fashion style.
I totally agree on this one. I wear it quite a bit, but I don't take it so seriously that I alter everything I do.
Meiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 02:30 PM   #13
Temperance
Elves are Jerks

Consider what you wear at work to be a "Uniform". it doesn't matter if it is not an actual uniform, if there is a dress code it pretty much is a non-specific uniform.
Bring of change of clothes and change out of your work clothes after your shift. What you are expected to wear when you are being paid does not reflect who you are at all.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/temperance/ - Furaffinity
Temperance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2008, 01:49 AM   #14
PureFluff
That one chick...

I don't know what state you're in but I was under the impression that Walmart had a dress code, as most nationwide stores do. I've only run into people wearing blue vests/polos and I think black pants is a must. I don't think skirts/dresses of any kind are allowed.
Rinoa (Final Fantasy VIII) - Kanaria (Rozen Maiden) - Lenne (Final Fantasy X) - Lulu (Final Fantasy X(-2)) - Freya (Chobits) - Rangiku (Bleach) - Nyu/Lucy (Elfen Lied) - Aerith (Final Fantasy VII) - Morrigan (Darkstalkers) - Angewomon (Digimon) - Nell (Bleach) - Tifa (Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children)
PureFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2008, 05:04 AM   #15
AnnChristin

If you got a dress code I would rather dress like that on the job and wear lolita on the freet ime, anoying but that's how it works.

I've worked in a shop myself (Gamestop) and I wore gothic lolita, but I was the manager so noone could yell at me hehe.. A few people looked twice when they came in, but most people asked and thought it looked cool.
AnnChristin is offline   Reply With Quote