Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 07-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
Antheia
Do you have 96 crayons?

About my skirt...

I am making my first attempt (uh oh) at making an all black lolita outfit. The problem is I need some help on what to do with the skirt. It is very plain and need some ideas on what to do. But i know for one thing i need a petticoat lol. the lace part at the top will not be shown because it will be at my waist covered up with my top

I would love any advice, and here is the skirt

EDIT: I deleted the picture because I shall be starting a new one...sorry

Last edited by Antheia : 07-20-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Antheia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
o01101011
Just call me Digit

....Is that spandex or a cotton stretch blend?
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
Antheia
Do you have 96 crayons?

I believe it is cotton but I'm not exactly sure because I cut off the tags for some odd reason, but it feels like it.
Unread 07-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
miyavilover666

it almost looks like it has a shine like a spandex or stretch blend like suggested before. That might be an issue seeing a shine is not good, but seeing it is such a light one i think you are ok.
It also looks like it is going to be the wrong shape over a petticoat which is not good, you could always go through the trouble of finding matching fabric and all of that to make it work..but if you are putting a petti under that it is not going to look right.
You could always add a layer under the main one and add in a built in petti so it does not get mis-shaped by a petti that is what i did for my last skirt. I only had a black petti and it was a white skirt so i made it 2 layers and added the tool in between.
I could take pictures if you don't understand what i am saying.
Also is it the wright length? All i say is be sure to get it to your knees ^^
Albedo- Xenosaga 2
Space Dandy- Space dandy
Judal (revamp)- Magi
Hiccup- How to train your dragon 2
Check out Umbra cosplay!
I was featured on Otaku House Representing America, check me out here!
miyavilover666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyavilover666 View Post
I only had a black petti and it was a white skirt so i made it 2 layers and added the tool in between.
...wow I really hope you mean tulle. Sticking hammers under your skirt would be awkward.

I'm gonna be blunt here and say that skirt's probably not going to work. The fabric looks stretchy, which is a bad idea for lolita because stretch with a petticoat just ends up lying funny. It also doesn't quite look full enough to accommodate a full petticoat.
Meiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2008, 11:28 PM   #6
Antheia
Do you have 96 crayons?

Yes the skirt is a bit shiny now that i look at it... thank you for pointing that out everyone
I was afraid that the skirt was most likely not going to work. But I got somewhat close because it came to just under my knees and I'm sure it would go up a bit once I get the petticoat it would go to just above the knee, I think.

Alright a couple questions now:
1. Does anyone recommend a good pattern that would work? I think i just might go really cheap and try to find one at wal-mart or something.

2. How long and fluffy should it be to be able to fit the petticoat?
Unread 07-19-2008, 11:40 PM   #7
lolita*neko

Yeah, that skirt doesn't look like its the right shape to begin with. ^^;

I would suggest you try a rectangle skirt. Just google it or check out any loli sewing site and you'll more than likely find it. They are very simple to make, and great for beginners.

As for how long your skirt should be, that depends on the person, I think. I personally make my skirts about 18 inches from my natural waist, and then to fit a petticoat under it about 2.5 or 3 times my waist measurement.
lolita*neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2008, 11:43 PM   #8
Kaimana Scarlet
I needz frills moar

1) it is not full enough at all.
2) it doesn't look like it was made of cotton
3) sometimes in lolita blouses are meant to be tucked under the skirt, to achieve the "lolita silhouette" example
4) ...why is there lace around the top of the skirt? (and really cheap looking lace at that...)

in short, no, it will not work for lolita. plz read the lolita handbook, and perhaps lurk in the community daily lolita to gain an idea of what lolita is supposed to look like as opposed to cheap costume-like "lolita"
Halloween skirt: 50%
BlackxWhite Lolita w/ parasol: 100%
Kaimana Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2008, 11:50 PM   #9
Kaimana Scarlet
I needz frills moar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolita*neko View Post
Yeah, that skirt doesn't look like its the right shape to begin with. ^^;

I would suggest you try a rectangle skirt. Just google it or check out any loli sewing site and you'll more than likely find it. They are very simple to make, and great for beginners.

As for how long your skirt should be, that depends on the person, I think. I personally make my skirts about 18 inches from my natural waist, and then to fit a petticoat under it about 2.5 or 3 times my waist measurement.

yes, the length depends really. i like my skirts to be 21 inches long, and i am 5'5.
Halloween skirt: 50%
BlackxWhite Lolita w/ parasol: 100%
Kaimana Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
Antheia
Do you have 96 crayons?

I do realize the lace at the top, i was going to wear the blouse over it but then Kaimana Scarlet's comment on how you shouldn't do that made me realize, thank you!

And lolita neko, i typed in rectangle skirt and came up with this
... i was looking more at skirt D, anyone else's opinion?
Unread 07-23-2008, 12:18 AM   #11
lolita*neko

A rectangle skirt doesn't require a pattern, actually. Just your [preferred] measurements. On how to make one see this post on LJ's sew_loli:
http://community.livejournal.com/sew_loli/232941.html

But if you would prefer a commercial pattern.. I do know there is one perfect for lolita skirts but I can't think of what it was... ^^;;

Last edited by lolita*neko : 07-23-2008 at 12:21 AM.
lolita*neko is offline   Reply With Quote