Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 07-20-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
Hydraskylar
...promise...

Removing iron-on adhesive (Heat n Bond)

I tested Heat n Bond on a similar fabric before actually using it and everything was fine. But when I use it on the real costume, the places where I put the HeatnBond became very transparent and noticeable and also didn't hold up anything. I still don't know what went wrong since it's my first time using iron-on adhesives, but all I want to do know is to remove the transparent (and stiff) patches of HeatnBond. Is there a way to remove iron-on adhesive?
Hydraskylar is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-20-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
chisainekocat
Harr0

I usually try scraping and peeling off what I can and using acetone (nail polish remover) to remove what I can. I'm not sure, but I've read that you can put another cloth over the HeatnBond, iron it, and the Heat n' Bond will peel away with the cloth if you grab it quickly enough. If you want to try that, do it before trying acetone.

I'm confused on how you used the HeatnBond though, which may be the reason why it's not working. Are you using the HeatnBond that comes in yards and making patches or are you using the tape kind and putting parts of the costume with it (like hemming it)?

My old cosplay group: JAC Productions (with Paro Paro Inc friends) jac-productions.com/
chisainekocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
Hydraskylar
...promise...

I'm using the tape/ribbon one. When I tested it, I set the iron on silk/low setting as instructed but the fabric kept falling of, so I tried the second time, this time using the medium setting and it worked just fine. So I did the same thing for the costume, one side of the tape sticks to the fabric but the other side cooled off and became stiff really fast and didn't attach anything.

It did say in the instruction that in case the adhesive sticks to the iron, it can be removed using a softener sheet but I'm not sure how well that'd work so I haven't bought some to try yet
Hydraskylar is offline   Reply With Quote