Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-22-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
SquallsGirl
I is in your Yaoi stash.

Ariel (The Little Mermaid) Cosplay 8]

Ok, I may be insane for doing this one.

I think I'm going to do Ariel in her pink ballroom dress for '09. I know, crazy, right?

Well, I was wondering: How many people have done that dress, and how difficult is it?

I know I need a giant petticoat for it. And I won't need a wig, because I'm growing my hair long and dying it red.

I get to comb my hair with a fork, rather, dinglehopper, and sing Part Of Your World randomly! 8D *is big nerd*

If I could get some help on this cosplay, it would be greatly appreciated!

Convention(s) for '09: Animaritime 2009
SquallsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
UchihaGirl
The Cosplay Mouseketteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquallsGirl View Post
Ok, I may be insane for doing this one.

I think I'm going to do Ariel in her pink ballroom dress for '09. I know, crazy, right?

Well, I was wondering: How many people have done that dress, and how difficult is it?

I know I need a giant petticoat for it. And I won't need a wig, because I'm growing my hair long and dying it red.

I get to comb my hair with a fork, rather, dinglehopper, and sing Part Of Your World randomly! 8D *is big nerd*

If I could get some help on this cosplay, it would be greatly appreciated!
It's not insane but I think only one or two other people have done it. On Deviant-Art, Bri-Chan has a great picture as to why people probably don't do it.

As for the dress, you could easily get a pattern for it and adjust where necessary.

However, I would recommend a wig anyways because in my opinion, with a large dress based on an animated cartoon, having to use your regular hair will look flat in comparison. Plus, if you wanted to wear the dress again, you'd have to keep your hair color maintained and at that length. Also, the bangs are annoying to get in place, even using natural hair. I think a wig will make it look more complete.

Someone will come along after me with more experience though. Good luck!
MegaCon, SWW, MetroCon, AFO, DragonCon, ShadoCon, Holiday Matsuri.

MegaCon Cosplay List

Merle
Giganta
2nd Doctor Aurora
UchihaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
SquallsGirl
I is in your Yaoi stash.

thanks so much!

somebody sent me some links to a couple of really close patterns that the sleeves would have to be adjusted and a couple of small details like that ^___^

It does look ort of easy. I think the hardest part will be making a giant petticoat.

Unread 07-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
TR Rose
Meowing About

You don't have to make the petticoat if you don't want to.
I've had lots of success with a hoopskirt crinoline I ordered from eBay - the hoops are adjustable and I've used it for several different costumes. Definitely worth the $30 I paid for it.
• 10th Doctor
TR Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
UchihaGirl
The Cosplay Mouseketteer

I second ebay for a hoop skirt.

I got the one I used for my Rose Bride Utena from AngelsBridal on ebay. Sadly, no new photos with the new hoop skirt as opposed to the poofy petticoat I had before.

My new one is a 4 hoop, so I'd suggest maybe a 5 or 6 hoop for Ariel. It can be adjusted down as well, if it's too big.

MegaCon Cosplay List

Merle
Giganta
2nd Doctor Aurora
Unread 07-22-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
SquallsGirl
I is in your Yaoi stash.

I was just looking at some hoop skirts and petticoats on eBay, and I came to a conclusion:

HOOP SKIRTS SCARE ME.
THEY LOOK LIKE CAGES OR SOMETHING. X_X *hides in corner with box of cookies and juice boxes*

The petticoats look light and easy to walk in, considering I'll most likely be walking up stairs, and there'll probably be little kids asking for pictures and hugs. haha. XD
And Ariel looks like she's wearing a petticoat for the pink dress, too.

Unread 07-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
Jonetsu
Seamstress Extrordinaire

I personally perfer not to use a hoop skirt, but you can get regular petticoats in that kind of size-I like the way they move better ^^

http://cgi.ebay.com/EXTRA-FULL-BRIDA...QQcmdZViewItem

Something like that ^^ And it's waaaaay less stress than trying to make your own.

~Planned~In Progress~Wishlist~Completed~

~Nolanverse Harley Quinn~Seras Victoria~Fran~Rayne~L~Faye~Lulu~Gaara~Priss~Harley Quinn~Sei~Maya Natsume~Nuriko~Femme Vash~Rouge~

I do take commissions! They're high-quality, one of kind pieces custom-made for each client!
Jonetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #8
UchihaGirl
The Cosplay Mouseketteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquallsGirl View Post
I

HOOP SKIRTS SCARE ME.
THEY LOOK LIKE CAGES OR SOMETHING. X_X *hides in corner with box of cookies and juice boxes*

Lol, really? Mine was quite easy to sit and walk in, and very swooshy!

I had no problem with stairs or escalators (well, after I remembers to lift a bit since the brushes on the sides kept getting my dress dirty).

And it folds down onto itself for easier transportation. Plus, when compared to the petticoat, I found I can take better overhead photos than I could with the petticoat since the hoop skirt flattens out more than the petticoat.

Plus, if you are wanting to consider the accuracy, I can tell you that in the parks at WDW, they use hoop skirts for all of the princesses except Aurora. Or rather, they have circular hoops they attach to the skirts with velcro and add a matching petticoat for added fullness.

But either way, it's your decision. I'm sure whatever you have will look great!

MegaCon Cosplay List

Merle
Giganta
2nd Doctor Aurora
Unread 07-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #9
Moon_Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by UchihaGirl View Post
Lol, really? Mine was quite easy to sit and walk in, and very swooshy!

I had no problem with stairs or escalators (well, after I remembers to lift a bit since the brushes on the sides kept getting my dress dirty).

And it folds down onto itself for easier transportation. Plus, when compared to the petticoat, I found I can take better overhead photos than I could with the petticoat since the hoop skirt flattens out more than the petticoat.

Plus, if you are wanting to consider the accuracy, I can tell you that in the parks at WDW, they use hoop skirts for all of the princesses except Aurora. Or rather, they have circular hoops they attach to the skirts with velcro and add a matching petticoat for added fullness.

But either way, it's your decision. I'm sure whatever you have will look great!
I agree, a hoop skirt is great, I have a three hoop one myslef. For her pink gown i think you'll really want to use a hoop skirt, just to get that extra fullness.
Shampoo ~ Ranma 1/2
Giroro pj's ~ SGT Frog
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2011
Seishun Con 2011?
Dragon Con 2011
AWA XVII
Moon_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2008, 11:40 AM   #10
SquallsGirl
I is in your Yaoi stash.

Thanks a million for everyone's help! ^______^

Unread 07-24-2008, 05:05 AM   #11
dreamsofnever

Now that is an awesome idea! LOVE The Little Mermaid. I think it's very doable if you can sew. There are so many dress patterns out there that you should be able to find one that's close.

And the fact that it hasn't been done often makes it all the more unique (albeit, harder to get advice) I would definitely go through patterns online and at your local sewing store to see if you can find one similar. It looks like the puffiness of the sleeves could pose a challenge, so maybe look online for puffed sleeve tutorials.

Good luck!
dreamsofnever is offline   Reply With Quote