Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #31
Juego
Do you want a 2nd opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Far Cry View Post
PS: Juego, I already nerded out over your costume elsewhere, but seriously, your Rorschach is the best I have ever seen.
D'awww, well, thanks! I didn't get a chance to rough up the seams of my coat for Otakon, but I have time before D*C. Plus... extra masks!

And awesome for doing Silk Spectre, plus good luck on movie Nite Owl to your friend. And I thought I had some crazy movie stuff on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paper cosplay View Post
what about the watchmen's older heroes the 30s heroes masked justice dollar bill
I think a Minutemen group would be rad. I have an urge to do MothMan, but I'm sure most folks would confuse me for Arthur from The Tick. But, if there was a group...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Peregrine View Post
Avast! There's going to be a Watchmen meetup at DragonCon this year, Friday, 11am, Marriott Bar. I was the comic version of SS last year, reprising it this year...the more the merrier!
Woo hoo! I'll try to be there -- I'll be the bloody coat Rorschach.

Unread 08-15-2008, 02:14 AM   #32
Unholymigit

This thread is amazing! I want to cosplay Rorschach so bad for ACEN this year!

Juego your costume is amazing! how did you get those awesome stains on your trench coat Id love to know.

*edit*

forgot to ask Juego where did you get your trench coat at? and how much was it?

Last edited by Unholymigit : 08-15-2008 at 02:21 AM.
Unholymigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 09:20 AM   #33
prototype138
Big Fan of Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightstar View Post
What no Comedian? Someone has to be planning the Comedian?? I don't have the look to pull him off or I would do it. I mean sure the guy is A morale, but you still need a good Comedian out there. That and an Ozymandias.
I was going to do the Comedian for Halloween, because my fiance is going as Rorschach, but I opted to go another route. If she recycles Rorschach for a Nightmare Before Christmas party in December, I'll probably do the Comedian for that. (If I can pull of that scar to my satisfaction)

Also, I have to unanimously agree that Juego's Rorschach is brilliant. I'd also love to ask about your trenchcoat, as I'm putting together her Rorschach for her, and everything I've found is either all wrong, cheap looking, or Burberry and way out of my 'mess up for a costume' budget.

MANSpolymer

Simian Angel World Betterment
prototype138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 10:40 AM   #34
Juego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholymigit View Post
Juego your costume is amazing! how did you get those awesome stains on your trench coat Id love to know.

forgot to ask Juego where did you get your trench coat at? and how much was it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype138 View Post
I'd also love to ask about your trenchcoat, as I'm putting together her Rorschach for her, and everything I've found is either all wrong, cheap looking, or Burberry and way out of my 'mess up for a costume' budget.
Thanks for the comments, guys, I really appreciate them!

First, the bad news -- the trench is indeed a Burberry. By a stroke of supreme luck, I found one on ebay in my size and for only about $80. Which is INSANE (they retail for over $1k).

Remember, you can dye any trench if it is part cotton. So, mainly look for one that is double-breasted and has epaulets. I actually need to alter my trench to make it shorter -- Rorschach's coat ends around the knees.

Now the good news -- Blood/grime effects are pretty easy. For overall grime, I put brown RIT dye in a spritz bottle and sprayed the coat. The blood stains are done with layers of watered down acrylics in various mixtures of rust and brown. Just take the coat outside and drip paint all over it.

Last edited by Juego : 08-16-2008 at 03:46 AM.
Juego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 11:36 AM   #35
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

LOL yeah I always hated the comic Silk Spectre costume. The movie one looks extremely difficult to reproduce, though - looks like latex, which is a b*tch to work with, plus there appears to be a separate latex corset on top of the bodysuit. :P

I'm virtually exploding with excitement since the previews and stills look SO great (and so close to the comic), but I do feel that the actors look way too young and in-shape for the characters; they're supposed to have been retired for years while Laurie looks like she's maybe 25, tops. I guess they couldn't swing a pudgy Nite Owl with the producers. LOL

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #36
prototype138
Big Fan of Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juego View Post
First, the bad news -- the trench is indeed a Burberry. By a stroke of supreme luck, I found one on ebay in my size and for only about $80. Which is INSANE.
Yeah, I had a feeling your coat was pretty top-shelf, and that you either spared no expense, or just happened to have one around.
I doubt I'll find a deal like that, so thrift store combing I go. LOL, maybe I'll find one with the grime already on it.

MANSpolymer

Simian Angel World Betterment
prototype138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #37
Technoir
Scaley Manfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm-hime View Post
I guess they couldn't swing a pudgy Nite Owl with the producers.
From what little I've seen of Dan out of his Nite Owl costume, he IS pretty pudgy. I think him looking thin might just be an effect of the costume. Because he looks pretty dang chunky in this leaked picture. Patrick Wilson's rear is definitely looking pretty wide there, LOL. But I do agree that most of them look really young.

And yeah, movie Silk Spectre is going to be a complete nightmare. >:| I'm allowing myself plenty of time, since I haven't ever worked with that type of material before. What a project to start with, huh?

Are -you- cosplaying anything from it, though? That would be fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juego View Post
Plus... extra masks!
That's going to be hilarious, if not just for the reactions of people who'd seen you earlier with a different face. Haha.

Also, a Minutemen group WOULD be pretty rad, you guys. D8 DO IT. (Please.)
Technoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 09:40 PM   #38
!*Jessi-Chan*!
Teach Me, Miss Litchi!

I was thinking movie SS was maybe pvc vinyl...Thats what i was going to use for mine, but latex DOES look cooler...

Anywhoot, i decided not to wait until i make my movie SS costume to have a Watchmen costume (which i should start in Dec as a christmas present to myself) Sooo, theres a small, first year comic convention happening here in Oct - on the 31st of all days - and I've decided that I should do Rorschach since i really want to do that costume and he's awesomes (and crazy)

Here are some questions:

1. How does one see in the mask? And what about breathing? I pretty much know how to make the mask thanks to this thread, but i dont think i know how to see out of the mask.

2. The hat is a fedora? correct...?

Potential Costumes Aisha Clan Clan, WilyKat, Storm

Last edited by !*Jessi-Chan*! : 08-15-2008 at 09:43 PM.
!*Jessi-Chan*! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 09:51 PM   #39
Juego

Quote:
Originally Posted by !*Jessi-Chan*! View Post
Here are some questions:

1. How does one see in the mask? And what about breathing? I pretty much know how to make the mask thanks to this thread, but i dont think i know how to see out of the mask.
LOL, everyone wants to know how Rorschach sees!

I made my mask from 2 layers of nylons. The under layer is black because doubled-up whites still showed my features. (The problem with this is that the mask isn't as stark-white as it could be. But I'll take it over my features showing.)

The outer layer has the inkblots drawn on with Sharpies -- the inkblot needs to go over your eyes for the best effect. The inner layer has the eyeholes. Visibility is pretty good (I could walk without aid and read the con booklet in good lighting), though I had slight problems with dark stairs.

Breathing is fine. But the Sharpie ink will start to spread after a few hours and make the mask look grungy, so it's really a one-day accessory.

I'm actually about to experiment a bit with a luchadore-type mask I got. The inkblot is stitched on and the eyes are mesh. I'm hoping that with a layer of black tights inside over my eyes + my hat brim shadow will hide the eyeholes.

Quote:
2. The hat is a fedora? correct...?
Ebay and thrift stores are your best bets for the hat and trench. Since I kept getting sniped, I got a cheap, small brimmed fedora from villagehatshop.com, though the color and crown are kinda off-model. (I could probably tweak the crown to look correct.) I made the hatband myself.

Last edited by Juego : 08-15-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Juego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 10:02 PM   #40
!*Jessi-Chan*!
Teach Me, Miss Litchi!

I was thinking about using mesh for the inkblots, but i wasnt sure how that would work out. Maybe i'll fool around with a couple of things and find out which works best for me. I really like the double layer thing. I had completly forgot about not having my features showing *pokes chipmunk cheeks*
It feels so good to be cosplay Rorschach. Its my first masked costume and i'm SURE i'm going to get people thinking i'm male...which will be fun when i talk or something. haha. I've crossplayed before, but hardly believeable as a male. This should be fuuun.

Last edited by !*Jessi-Chan*! : 08-15-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Unread 08-15-2008, 10:05 PM   #41
Juego

Quote:
I was thinking about using mesh for the inkblots, but i wasnt sure how that would work out. Maybe i'll fool around with a couple of things and find out which works best for me. It feels to good to be cosplay Rorschach. Its my first masked costume and i'm SURE i'm going to get people thinking i'm male...which will be fun when i talk or something. haha. I've crossplayed before, but hardly believeable as a male. This should be fuuun.
If you're short, you already have an edge on me.

Also, a tip for the trench -- still wear a suitcoat underneath to pad out your shoulders. That'll help with the crossplay. (Me, I've just got boney shoulders, lol.)
Unread 08-15-2008, 10:09 PM   #42
!*Jessi-Chan*!
Teach Me, Miss Litchi!

I'm about 5'7''. Not exactly 'short'. lol
And oooo, you're just full of tips arent ya! Maybe if i wear those many layers i wont even have to bind (cause binding is the bane of a crossplayers existence)

Unread 08-16-2008, 01:05 AM   #43
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Far Cry View Post
And yeah, movie Silk Spectre is going to be a complete nightmare. >:| I'm allowing myself plenty of time, since I haven't ever worked with that type of material before. What a project to start with, huh?

Are -you- cosplaying anything from it, though? That would be fantastic.
I dunno, probably not. 40s Silk Spectre isn't really my thing, and new movie SS is too much hassle for me to really want to bother since I already have like a billion costumes on my to-do list, and they're pretty much the only women in the story. :P

Unless I were to wear a sari and go around drawing pictures of Cthulhu. LOLZ

I still have to make my Legion of Superheroes costume (Shikari, who doesn't even exist anymore, damn their endless reboots) now that I finally have a turquoisey-green wig.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories

Last edited by Sarcasm-hime : 08-16-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #44
GabrielDarkhawk
is Yukon Ho!

I too am geeking out over the level of awesome of the movie stills and just the amazing level of detail with the production as well (they have in-cannon BOOKS in the character's houses! @_@), not sure who I'd want to be though...

I may consider a rorschach at some point, though that would be WARM for a summer con but nice and toasty for Halloween or a fall con.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.” -Calvin and Hobbes

In Progress: Alice (Pumpkin Scissors)
GabrielDarkhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2008, 06:27 AM   #45
Technoir
Scaley Manfish

I have a request for the Rorschach cosplayers, because I just noticed something. Please make this mask variation.

Why?

:3

I can't unsee it.
Technoir is offline   Reply With Quote