Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-17-2008, 10:31 PM   #46
GabrielDarkhawk
is Yukon Ho!

@ Far Cry: XD I just noticed that too...Happy Rorschach!

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.” -Calvin and Hobbes

In Progress: Alice (Pumpkin Scissors)
GabrielDarkhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2008, 10:34 PM   #47
!*Jessi-Chan*!
Teach Me, Miss Litchi!

haha. I love other Rorschach mask variations!

Looks like i might have to put off the Rorschach costume...Dont you all just hate when college starts back and all your money seems to be drained away... -cries-

Potential Costumes Aisha Clan Clan, WilyKat, Storm
!*Jessi-Chan*! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2008, 11:05 PM   #48
Satallgees

you guys are forgetting that though Walter Kovacs is short, Rorschach wears platform shoes, refer to where they arrest him for proof. And about the sharpies, why not just cut out holes in the white half then sow the two together to keep it together. That way, you don't need to worry about the bleeding
Satallgees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 02:26 AM   #49
Juego
Do you want a 2nd opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Far Cry View Post
I have a request for the Rorschach cosplayers, because I just noticed something. Please make this mask variation.

Why?

:3

I can't unsee it.
Hee. He makes a version of that face near the end when he shakes hands with Daniel, too. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satallgees View Post
you guys are forgetting that though Walter Kovacs is short, Rorschach wears platform shoes, refer to where they arrest him for proof.
True, though I doubt that would get him to, say, 6'. I'm 5'11" and feel I'm too tall by a few inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satallgees View Post
And about the sharpies, why not just cut out holes in the white half then sow the two together to keep it together. That way, you don't need to worry about the bleeding
Well, my mask was a question of time - I had very little of it. Plus, you are really only cutting eyeholes, not the entire inkblot. I'm not sure how well you could pull off an appliqué-style inkblot using only nylons/mesh.

The problem is making the mask look entirely featureless, even under harsh lighting. I've tried a luchadore/zentai style mask where the inkblot is an appliqué with separate mesh eyeholes. Unfortunately, the change in fabric between inkblot and eyeholes is too much and noticeable under flash.

So, back to the Sharpie masks for me. Though I'm looking forward to making multiple inkblot designs.

Last edited by Juego : 08-18-2008 at 02:34 AM.
Juego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 12:41 AM   #50
GabrielDarkhawk
is Yukon Ho!

Just a thought, for Rorschach mask eyehole problem, would making the entire inkblot out of doubled up mesh work? Then it should be opaque enough to not see features and still have some visiblity...hurm...

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.” -Calvin and Hobbes

Unread 08-19-2008, 09:02 AM   #51
Technoir
Scaley Manfish

I'm not sure if this is "on topic", but I thought I'd post it anyway. I'll delete it if I need to, since it's not -exactly- cosplay-related.

Quote:
Bosses at Twentieth Century Fox have launched a legal battle to block the release of new comic book movie Watchmen.

The film, based on the comic books written by Alan Moore, is due to hit cinemas in March 2009.

But the release has now been thrown into jeopardy after chiefs at Fox filed legal papers in Los Angeles claiming they bought the rights to the series in the 1980s - and seeking an injunction against rival studio Warner Bros in a bid to halt the picture.

A spokesman for Fox says the company will be "asking the court to enforce our copyright interests" and urging the judge to stop the release of the movie and "any related Watchmen media that violate our copyright interests in that property".

A representative for Warner Bros adds, "We respectfully disagree with Fox's position and do not believe they have any rights."
From here.
And a more in-depth article here.

Most importantly, from the second link:

Quote:
Fox's legal team says it isn't looking for monetary compensation and instead wants to prevent the big-budget film from being released altogether.
I certainly hope it doesn't go through, and I doubt it will, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see how everything turns out. :/

Last edited by Technoir : 08-19-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Technoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 12:55 PM   #52
fightstar
Kage-Kanbu Master Ninja

Far Cry - No this is appropriate. Lets hope the legal system will work this out. In truth they, FOX, want money. This is a tactic that business and corporations do to get $$ out of people. See Spike Lee vs. Spike TV to name one of MANY.

On to the costumes. Glad to see a group of folks doing this and getting it together. Wish I had more screen shots of some characters, but in due time. Good luck on your progress everyone.

fightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #53
Last_Chael

I've not yet read the comic, but my friend is going to lend it to me to have a gander over.

One of my friends is going to be working on a Silk Spectre costume for a costume group viewing of the movie next year. i wasn't that interested in the costumes until she showed me a pic of Silk Spectre 1! OMG! It's perfect for me! I love all things vintage and I love superheroes, so a super with a 40's hairstyle = love Plus she has a corset, so that just seals it for me!!

Don't know if I'll get around to it, but I'm going to tentatively put it on my to do list for whenever the movie comes out. It looks like a really fun costume, and just totally my thing :P
Last_Chael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2008, 01:06 PM   #54
!*Jessi-Chan*!
Teach Me, Miss Litchi!

completely off topic, but, had my first day of classes today and I'm an english major taking a popular fiction course. Our final project has to be to defend/argue a work of popular fiction and how its just as vaulable as canoical/classical fiction. Guess what i'm choosing Watchmen! I know its graphic novel, but i'm sure my professor will let me since its a different approach. So nothing set in stone, but i'm already excited.

*cough* On topic:

Far Cry: whoa! That's like big news. Thanks for informing us *goes to find out more*

Aaaand, movie Silk Spectre -will there be a movie now *cries* - will be worked on soon! I'm excited. Still wish i could pull off Rorschach but money is tight and time is short

Unread 08-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #55
GabrielDarkhawk
is Yukon Ho!

Just some more speculation on the Watchmen legal stuff from aintitcool: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38002

@ Jessi: We studied V for Vendetta in one of my Lit classes.

Hrmmm are there any more females in Watchmen besides Silk, Sally, the indian painter, aaaaand Silhouette? ^^;; Think I may try to pull together a Rorschach for the movie premiere...or a fall con.

Unread 08-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #56
Juego

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielDarkhawk View Post
Hrmmm are there any more females in Watchmen besides Silk, Sally, the indian painter, aaaaand Silhouette? ^^;; Think I may try to pull together a Rorschach for the movie premiere...or a fall con.
Do Silhouette! We need more minor Minutemen!

A buddy just asked me for help on the Comedian's 'Nam outfit. Hopefully we'll get it done in time for D*C!
Unread 08-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #57
!*Jessi-Chan*!
Teach Me, Miss Litchi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielDarkhawk View Post

@ Jessi: We studied V for Vendetta in one of my Lit classes.

Isnt it AWESOME when professors are cool like that? lol

But i dont think there are that many females in Watchmen. At least not many that people would recognize when wearing a 'costume'. There's the lesbian couple as well as Walter's Pyschologist's Wife...but clothes are pretty regular and ordinary...not enough to stand out at any convention. So the ones you named are pretty much the ones that will be known/recognized.

Unread 08-22-2008, 09:20 AM   #58
prototype138
Big Fan of Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juego View Post
Well, I learned today that it takes 2 RIT dye (dark brown) cycles in the washer to get a 50/50 cotton/polyester trench to the same tan shade that's in the comic. I've got a before/after pic here.

Next, I'm fine-tuning the grunge/age job on the wardrobe, then will take care of the mask and small props I intend to bring. (No grappling gun this time...)
I finally found a 'near' perfect trenchcoat, but I believe I may have slightly overdone the blood on it. Nothing too gruesome, just more than I'd like.
Do you have any advice on how I might tone it down a bit? I used 'Wine' and 'Cocoa Brown' RIT.
Do you think the RIT brand Color Remover would work? My original color was pretty much spot-on, so I don't want to bleach it.

MANSpolymer

Simian Angel World Betterment
prototype138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #59
Juego

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype138 View Post
I finally found a 'near' perfect trenchcoat, but I believe I may have slightly overdone the blood on it. Nothing too gruesome, just more than I'd like.
Do you have any advice on how I might tone it down a bit? I used 'Wine' and 'Cocoa Brown' RIT.
Do you think the RIT brand Color Remover would work? My original color was pretty much spot-on, so I don't want to bleach it.
I've never worked with the Color Remover, so I don't know there. But you could try just putting it through the wash and seeing if the color fades. Make sure it dries completely, too, before you assess the color.
Unread 08-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #60
prototype138
Big Fan of Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juego View Post
I've never worked with the Color Remover, so I don't know there. But you could try just putting it through the wash and seeing if the color fades. Make sure it dries completely, too, before you assess the color.
Yeah, my first run through barely stained it at all, so I think I went a little too hardcore on my second attempt. All in all, if I can't get it right, it doesn't really make a huge difference. I'll put it through a good soak and see what happens.
Thanks!

MANSpolymer

Simian Angel World Betterment
prototype138 is offline   Reply With Quote