Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Death Note

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-25-2008, 01:11 AM   #1
MelloYello

Question Death Note-Matt Help

Ok im aware there are sooo many threads about this but mostly about his striped shirt but this time its about his vest is there any place i can find one?? Well when i think about it i need his vest,pants(would light blue skinny jeans work??)and boots mabey his goggles AHHHHHHH I Need all of it Help PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bigcry :
MelloYello is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2008, 05:57 AM   #2
navigated
Derp.

Did you check eBay? eBay is your best friend. If not, Google. The internet is the best place to find the street clothes cosplay that is Death Note.

THough when it comes to Matt's exact vest, I've said it numerous times, it does not exist. Its something that really has to be made. You can get something that might be passable, but the 3/4 panel swede vest that's that long, in all of my searching, does not exist. You can probably find a fur lined swede vest on the internet or in thrift stores, which might be passable (it just depends on how picky you are about accuracy), but it's not going to be his exact vest.

As for pants, again, something that you're going to have to make. You can use whatever you want since people don't seem to be too keen on making his seamed pants, (which can easily by made by getting pants that are too long and just making some folded hems and running some stitching through them), but if you want to use skinny jeans, go for it. My only concern about that would be, if you're crossplaying (I don't know for sure here, but I'm going to make that assumption), skinny jeans really stick to your hips and butt, which will make you look girly, when cosplaying a man, I've found its good to buy mens jeans, as they'll be a bit too big in the hips and butt (assuming you buy them that way), so that'll disguise any sort of feminine shape you've got going on. Though if you're just as flat as a board, skinny jeans would be fine.

For boots, again, whatever you want. I've seen Matt's boots on a real person once. They weren't cosplaying. I have never seen those boots again. So you can just go for some Army Surplus boots if you want or look at a place that sell industrial punk clothing. I'm sure you'll find something.

navigated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
Kasy_C.

My Matt outfit was just randomly thrown together from thrift stores, but still gets recognised. I have seen boots, gloves, and goggels closer to his online and in biker shops but they were all very pricey! For a vest you could either make it from scratch or find a plain vest in a similar cut and add the strips of fur to it. I did the latter. Much simpler!

My outfit isn't actually that accurate, so I may not be the best one to be giving advice!

cons -Tekkoshocon -UBcon -Colossalcon -Blurriecon -Tsubasacon - N.E. Geek Expo

new cosplay:
Rosebud (Bioshock)
Margo (Despicable Me)
George Washington Lolita (original design)
Nonon (Kill la Kill)
Litwick gijinka (Pokemon)
Kasy_C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
MelloYello

Thank you!!!
Unread 07-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
Dartanion

My goggles only costed me $12 on eBay. They were being sold by a punk accessories store. I got his striped shirt on clearance at Hot Topic and a pair of jeans from the thrift store. But I had to make the vest from scratch. It isn't as hard as you think if you have access to a sewing machine and can buy a cheap sewing pattern.

Not to be a party pooper, but I have big hips and thighs and girl's jeans tend to make me look more masculine. Not skinny jeans, but hipsters. Because I have big hips, the men's pants are extremely tight in the hip and thigh area, just making them look much larger. Make sure you try on both men's and women's jeans for crossplaying. I know men's works for some, but with my hips and thighs, I always find myself being all that more obvious as a woman.

My boots are my mom's from the eighties...but I'm quite sure they would be some at a thrift store. Just keep checking in.

Matt [Death Note] - 95%
Zuko [Avatar] - 50%
Dartanion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2008, 02:46 AM   #6
Dango!
Perverted Milk Tea Fiend

Vest

Since this thread is already here, I might as well ask. >_>' Sorry for the thread mooching.

For the vest, I'm thinking of making one. But suede is pretty thin. I'm wondering what could/would make is more thick/poofy like Matt's vest.
Dango! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
MelloYello

what kind of boots does matt ware???
Unread 07-31-2008, 12:14 AM   #8
kenshin-chan64
Titillating Tuba Player

"what kind of boots does matt WEAR" and its basically any awesome punk/army/biker boots you want. if you want to be uber specific, get ones with buckles across them that go to about middle shin height.

but most importantly, matt's jeans are NOT light blue, his are much darker. light blue jeans would better describe L's pants. but, when trying to get the lines/pleats, if you cant sew them in, dont worry. just please dont draw them in with sharpie, it just doesnt look right when people do that. i personally think it would look better to have no pleats than half-assed pleats (in no way trying to be mean, just my personal opinion).

.... (\/)
.... (. . )_ ....~ Friday ~ 4-8-10
< # cc , _),

Last edited by kenshin-chan64 : 07-31-2008 at 12:17 AM.
kenshin-chan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
navigated
Derp.

I've only seen Matt's jeans done properlly once (and I hate to sound like a dick, but it was done by my friend), but I think just about everyone is willing to forgive the fact when people DON'T do the pleating. I know I am, I'm mostly shocked when people do do the pleats. So it's not a big deal, if you can't sew them, just don't do them at all.

As for the boots, I know a lot of people link these boots for Matt:
http://www.rivithead.com/product_inf...products_id/69
Or in worst case scenarios:
http://www.rivithead.com/product_inf...roducts_id/534

The first pair would be alright, I know a lot of people go for the banded look with their boots so they can have that segemented look that Matt's boots have. Though after sitting down with the friend I mentioned earlier, we came to the conclusion that Matt's boots are closer to Napoleon Dynamite's puffy black winter boots than anything else. And that would just look stupid. Really I think if you could find some flat soled, or even with a SMALL heel (please do not use boots with the chunk sole like the second link I provided) that went up high enough, you'd be fine. What I'm trying to say here is, Matt's boots are pretty much your call, just use good judgement.

As for the question about making the vest a bit puffier, you could get some cotton quilting batting and line your vest, putting the batting between the outside of the vest and the lining of the vest. This will give you some puff, but it'll also make your vest super warm.

navigated is offline   Reply With Quote