Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 07-07-2003, 11:40 PM   #1
Underscore

First Crossplay

Okay, I'm going to be crossplaying as Komugi from Nurse Komugi Magikarte (recently liscenced by ADV) and Soul Taker.

This will be my first Crossplay ever.. and I just wanted to know if anyoen hs general tips on dress-making for guys and any other helpfull crossplay hints.

Thanks in advance!
Underscore is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2003, 12:45 AM   #2
Wyna Hiros
Rookie Turk

[Deleted. Sorry, left Cosplay.com due to lack of time/interest]

Last edited by Wyna Hiros : 01-12-2006 at 01:11 AM.
Wyna Hiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2003, 12:47 AM   #3
Underscore

*thinks about Manfaye*

*looks at bottle of niar*

Got it, thanks.
Unread 07-08-2003, 08:16 AM   #4
Gren
Gender Bender

Nair doesn't work for me at all, stuid stuff... but shaving's not all that tricky. Heck, 13 yea old girls can do it. XD

Looking to create an horglass figure will really help you out. I don't know the costume, but if the skirt is enough that you can put in a petticoat or the like to poof it out, that will help detract from your lack of womanly curves. If you have hands that could be a woman's painting your nails can subtley influence someone, but, if you have big meaty man hands, it will only atract attention to them.
Unread 07-08-2003, 08:48 AM   #5
TsukiGuujin

WOO
Lookit me jump into the thread!!!

>>I suggest shaving your legs if you're going to be showing them

SO agreed.
X_x

>>Nair doesn't work for me at all, stuid stuff... but shaving's not all that tricky. Heck, 13 yea old girls can do it. XD

*laugh*
I know a couple boys who shave their body hair all the time, just like girls do.....no biggie.
Nair is stinky and never works the way you want it to.
I have yet to try NADS.
I just can't trust something named NADS!

*ahem*

>> I don't know the costume, but if the skirt is enough that you can put in a petticoat or the like to poof it out, that will help detract from your lack of womanly curves.

Enh, that's true, but I've found that hourglass isn't always right. Depends on the character...
I've also noticed that just a little hip padding usually is ok. But you gotta have boobs, or you look like a boy in a dress and makeup with your legs shaved.
I guess that sounded bitchy. Gomen. ^^

>>If you have hands that could be a woman's painting your nails can subtley influence someone, but, if you have big meaty man hands, it will only atract attention to them.

That is a REALLY good point.
I don't know the costume either, but gloves (not big leather ones, of course!) make your hands look more feminine. ^^

I hope I helped some. ^^

~~Tsuki Guujin, who might be doing a crossplay panel next year with her group that no one cares about. ^^~~
TsukiGuujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2003, 10:26 AM   #6
Lady
Sexy vonSexpants

I use NADS*nods* It hurts like a bitch, and the first time I used it, I bled. But if you have VERY fast growing hair, it's really the only way to go (I have to shave at least twice a day if I want to stay hair free...lucky me*sighs*)

Another thing you may want to consider is practicing your poses in a mirror. You can have all sorts of femanine attributes (curves, boobs, small hands), but if you stand like a linebacker, no one will buy it*laughs*

I'm also unfamiliar with this outfit, but if it has a skirt, you'll want to cross your legs, or keep them together at least when you sit down, or else you'll be showing all sorts of nifty things to the world*winks*

Hope it helps!

-Lady
Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2003, 10:34 AM   #7
Underscore

well.. Nair seems to work for me. I've used it before.

As for the hourglass figure thing, the dress is a little poofy.. i'm gonna have to wear two skirts to get the right effect, i think.

gloves are ood.. I have littel white gloves .. Let me get you pictures so that its a little easier to help me... maybe I can get tips on this specific costume.

http://www.skewedres.net/images/Cosplay/komugi.gif
http://www.skewedres.net/images/Cosplay/komugi.jpg
http://www.skewedres.net/images/Cosplay/komugi24.jpg
http://www.skewedres.net/images/Cosplay/p-mc-komugi.jpg

Last edited by Underscore : 07-09-2003 at 01:47 PM.
Unread 07-08-2003, 03:54 PM   #8
Menchi
Tee hee <3

oh an carrying yorself like a girl helps too. its like you can put a guy in a dress but if they act liek a guy its like obvious that its a guy in a dress
Menchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2003, 04:24 PM   #9
Burrito

...So someone other than me noticed the man-Faye? *rubs eyes* Scarred for life.

Unfortunately, I'm not that good at guy crossplaying yet. (My friend's just starting to get into it, he hasn't made his costume yet, so we're still figuring a lot out...and yes, I'm a girl.) Not much else to be said, really.

The pics won't load for me, but yeah, it's a good idea to practice being poised like a girl. XD I'm not a graceful girl at all, but my best bet is that it would really help. ^^ And, from experience with another male friend, if she wears high heels, PRACTICE WALKING IN THEM. o_o; My friend was falling all over himself because he didn't. ^^; But if she doesn't have heels, you're lucky. o_o Oh, so very lucky.

ALL FEAR THE MAN-FAYE! *shudders*
Unread 07-08-2003, 07:27 PM   #10
Underscore

Lucky me! I get to wear Tennies!

Those will be the most fun to make, methinks.

anyway.. I guess I'll have to have some of my girl friends show me how to walk and carry myself.. i guess its something you can't really give me instructions on how to do over text

thank you again!!
Unread 07-08-2003, 11:18 PM   #11
Chun Li
Shes Got a New Microphone

Anyone have any suggestions for makeing me look more feminine. i`m cosplaying as chun li

And about he NAIR thing
Thank the gods Chun li wheres tights
Chun Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2003, 07:49 AM   #12
evaneko
under construction

>< actually-even if you wear tights people can see the hairy legs... i know if i ever miss a spot shaving or whatever and then wear tights the tights get weird bumps or the hair actually pokes through ><
evaneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2003, 01:15 PM   #13
Underscore

Thats true. But at least Chun Li has broader shoulders than most women. The actual game-sprite is very muscular, so it won't be as hard as you'd think. But yeah.. you'll want to shave your legs for that... I mean.. you're showing off a LOT of leg there.
Unread 07-09-2003, 01:25 PM   #14
Chun Li
Shes Got a New Microphone

quite true
Chun Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2003, 01:34 PM   #15
Menchi
Tee hee <3

the method hair removal is up to ya really. but for leg coverage...ya make sure ya get tights or nylons that are the same color an such allt he way p to the top. a friend of mine had done a nadia costume an she needed a specific type of nlyons that didnt have the diff material at the panty level. (forgot the name of em). ay might also consider getting a pair or lollipops for decency issues on covering yourself.
Menchi is offline   Reply With Quote