Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-03-2014, 03:23 AM   #1
ShiroKanade
Yay Life Fibers

Determining dress size for male

According to measurements, I'm a size 6-8.

But then I run into two issues. Height and shoulders. How does everyone else deal with those?

Anime California - August 2014

Katsucon - 2015
ShiroKanade is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
Ion
Lyrical gangster

What character are you cosplaying as?

If this is something you are commissioning/having made, you should ask to have it custom made to your size. Most of the Chinese sellers will do this at no extra fee if you provide all your measurements and a commissioner would need them to make the costume fit anyway. If you go this route, measure yourself wearing any special undergarments and padding you will be wearing under the finished dress for a proper fit.

If it is something off the rack (e.g. you are going into a retail store/buying online at a place such as Macy's etc.), you should shop in the "tall" section (aimed at ladies 5'8" and up) and can try buying a few sizes up to accommodate the shoulders and height and take in the seams to accommodate the rest of your body. Same deal here, if you try anything on in the store/at home, do so while wearing any undergarments/padding you want to wear with the whole costume.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

You'll want the tall section if you're shopping off the rack. Also, you'll need to try on several dresses to get a feel for what a 6 or 8 in that brand is. Each brand is different, (especially thanks to vanity sizing) there's no standard dress size. Depending on what store I go to, I can really vary.
If I go to a store aimed at women over 30, I'm a 6-8. If I go to a store meant for women under 30, I can be anywhere from a 10-16. If I go to a store meant for plus size women, I'm anywhere from a 0-2. Even with letter sizes at some stores it really varies. Depending on the store, I'm anywhere from an S to an XL. (At Forever 21, I am an S, M, AND L in shirts. It just depends on which shirt I put on.)
Clothes shopping can be really annoying.

Currently working on:
Momoko Koigakubo -- Ghost Stories (Dub)
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #4
belligerent
Viking Metal

Yeah, everything they said. You might "be" a size 6-8, but what numbers they actually put on women's clothes is determined by throwing a dart at a list of numbers while blindfolded, so you will probably have to buy a few in different sizes, try stuff on, and take stuff back (unless you try it on in the the store. but if you don't, I don't blame you.).
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
ShiroKanade
Yay Life Fibers

Thank you very much everyone for the input. I guess the best thing I can do now is go to the mall and try out everything.

Wish me luck!

Anime California - August 2014

Katsucon - 2015
ShiroKanade is offline   Reply With Quote