Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 07-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
poptartpandora

what kind of tape for open shirt binding?

so since I will be crossplaying Kouha Ren, It just recently hit me, I will need to figure out how to bind! But since Kouha has a bunch of openings down his top, I figure a binding shirt from underworks is probably out of the question. I know duct tape is an option, but I've heard too many stories and a lot of people have told me not to. so is there a skin safe tape I can use to open shirt bind? and if so, where can I buy it or order it? Also has anyone had any good experiences with the duct tape, or ways to stop it from damaging skin, because I might have to end up using it, if I don't find another method.
poptartpandora is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
Devonry
Kick Ass. Drink Tea.

I use medical fabric tape, but I am also super flat. Don't use duct tape, it will eat your skin and tear off chunks when you pull it off. http://www.amazon.com/3M-Medipore-So.../dp/B000O0FQ50 This is pretty much the type I use.
Devonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
poptartpandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonry View Post
I use medical fabric tape, but I am also super flat. Don't use duct tape, it will eat your skin and tear off chunks when you pull it off. http://www.amazon.com/3M-Medipore-So.../dp/B000O0FQ50 This is pretty much the type I use.
Thank you!! I'm pretty flat too, so this will probably work for me! Did you buy yours at a store or order it online? I think I'll try to look for something similar at the drug store.
poptartpandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 11:41 PM   #4
Devonry
Kick Ass. Drink Tea.

I borrowed it from a friend who is a nurse who stole it from the supply closet at work. So uh.... I mean, if the store has it, awesome! If not, go online. And don't use foam tape instead, they do sell that at the store and putting that on your chest is a very bad life choice. Personal experience.
Devonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2014, 01:08 AM   #5
LordVoldy

I use duct tape and people think I'm crazy, but it's only injured me once (because I left it on too long). I hope to switch to using a binder for most of my crossplays, but duct tape is the only thing that I've found that sticks to my skin well enough to use for open shirt bindings. I encourage you to follow the advice of the lovely people here who know more about different kinds of tape than I do.

Best of luck with your crossplay!
LordVoldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2014, 01:53 AM   #6
moonlit-sky
call me TJ

I always use surgical tape for open shirt bindings, the easy-to-tear ones you would use to tape down gauze and bandages.

Mine is from Micropore from 3M.

http://www.3m.com/product/informatio...ical-Tape.html
Sin Kiske (Guilty Gear) - planning

2014 events: TGS 2014, STGCC '14, AFA '14

moonlit-sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 02:22 AM   #7
kicktheprussia
Celestial Wizard

I use sports tape. It's relatively easy to get off and doesn't damage your skin like how duct tape would.
Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III (How To Train Your Dragon)
Rin Okumura (Ao no Exorcist)
Natsu Dragneel (Fairy Tail)

kicktheprussia.tumblr.com
kicktheprussia is offline   Reply With Quote