Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 09-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
Mermaidpower

Building up the courage

Hi everyone. Do any of you have tips on how to build up courage? I want to but I am really nervous about it

Last edited by Mermaidpower : 09-07-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Mermaidpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Well one question comes to mind..Are you a guy crossplaying a girl, or girl crossplaying a guy? I ask because really, if you are a girl crossplaying a guy, you pretty much don't even need courage because it's already so well accepted in normal everyday wear. However, MtF is a completely different ballpark..What I do is have friends with me. Make sure they are very good friends or people I can trust in some way because that will REALLY help..If you have friends that also are very compliment heavy, that's a plus. It helps raise your self esteem..Like, one "hey that looks awesome" is a super boost right there..This will get you more comfortable. My last 2 female cosplays were just last weekend (con last weekend lol) and day 0 I was was walking out to help my roomie get his stuff in (he may even come on here to say stuff too) and no sooner did I get out there and 2 people told me how amazing my outfit looked and wanted pics..I told them to hold on a sec (room sliding door was RIGHT there) and I went in to get my weapon and got the pics taken..So what happens? MORE people want the pic now and telling me I look great. Now why did I say all that? Well I did another one 2 days later. I didn't even second guess myself because of that.

Basically, don't fret it at a con, it's normal. Hell you will see guys, totally unshaven, beards and leg hair and all in dresses. These guys do it for the laughs, but look at the reactions they get (usually always good), and realize they aren't even trying..Imagine how YOU look compared to someone not bothering to try? That's a big boost too.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Yui Hirasawa (Attack On K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Link (Zelda: OOT)
-Miku (Vocaloid, Galaxy Girls [fan models])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
Mermaidpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
Well one question comes to mind..Are you a guy crossplaying a girl, or girl crossplaying a guy? I ask because really, if you are a girl crossplaying a guy, you pretty much don't even need courage because it's already so well accepted in normal everyday wear. However, MtF is a completely different ballpark..What I do is have friends with me. Make sure they are very good friends or people I can trust in some way because that will REALLY help..If you have friends that also are very compliment heavy, that's a plus. It helps raise your self esteem..Like, one "hey that looks awesome" is a super boost right there..This will get you more comfortable. My last 2 female cosplays were just last weekend (con last weekend lol) and day 0 I was was walking out to help my roomie get his stuff in (he may even come on here to say stuff too) and no sooner did I get out there and 2 people told me how amazing my outfit looked and wanted pics..I told them to hold on a sec (room sliding door was RIGHT there) and I went in to get my weapon and got the pics taken..So what happens? MORE people want the pic now and telling me I look great. Now why did I say all that? Well I did another one 2 days later. I didn't even second guess myself because of that.

Basically, don't fret it at a con, it's normal. Hell you will see guys, totally unshaven, beards and leg hair and all in dresses. These guys do it for the laughs, but look at the reactions they get (usually always good), and realize they aren't even trying..Imagine how YOU look compared to someone not bothering to try? That's a big boost too.
You have no idea how helpful this is! Thank you!
Mermaidpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2014, 11:10 PM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

I take it that means you are male crosplaying female then? Seeing as that was teh only help I was able to give..lol I wish you luck and don't be afraid to ask questions. if you feel the need, you can PM me as well. I will help as best I can.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 09-08-2014, 05:18 AM   #5
builder396
Crossplayer

What I found helpful in building up my confidence was buying the costume. When I had it ordered I was committed to it and couldnt turn back. After that it was really a piece of cake. Manage that first step and youre halfway there.

Next Cosplay:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)

Planned cosplays:
Char B1 (Its a TANK, its not from an anime, unless you mean Girls und Panzer)
Kaito Kid (Detective Conan/Case Closed and Magic Kaito)
builder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2014, 06:24 AM   #6
lemuries

Although you feel scared because your body is trying to protect you, if you're looking to get up the courage, then it's because this is something you know is right to do. You know letting fear rule you is not right, and you know that trying this is something that feels right right now.

Courage is about doing what's right despite the fear. You can't be courageous unless you're scared. Doing this will help you get used to doing other life-changing, scary things in your future. We don't know how you will be received, but we know what statistically should happen: people will admire you in proportion to how much work you've put in and how good your taste is.

I create because I feel "not right" when I fight it. It's who I am, fighting it feels unnatural.

Crossplay is something you want to do, to say "this is me" and have that truth be realized. Whether it's something you are or something you want to try on, you are drawn to this. Be afraid and do it anyway. The people who matter will receive you openly. I like to say "I don't need the respect of people I don't respect." I suspect you will agree that listening to fools and bullies is not something you'd do during any other moment in time either, so doing it over this would be just as wrong.

Be who you are, because you never know who will be inspired by your courage. I don't have the urge to crossplay, but I do fight with hampering fear every day of my life. I find it easier to be courageous when I see other people being courageous. You may never even know who you inspire by being strong enough to bare your truth. But you will inspire, and you will make the world better when you strengthen other people so that they can be courageous.

So do it because it's healthy, do it because it's you, and do it for others. This is right, and you are awesome to do it.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #7
PolyVinylAres
Friendship is Plastic

Focus on the fun you are going to have! I guarantee you, if you go to the con expecting to have a good time, you almost certainly will. Crossplay is great, and there's only a few insecure people who really have any problem with it.

Definitely attend with a wingman (or wing woman). Having a friend you trust close by is a great way to improve your confidence, and beside, cons are more fun with friends no matter how you're dressed.

Remember that you are awesome for cosplaying in the first place. There was a short time a decade or two ago when people stopped dressing up for cons, and the fan world became more boring because of it. Pushing your cosplay to the next level = extra awesome on top of that.

Quote:
Hell you will see guys, totally unshaven, beards and leg hair and all in dresses. These guys do it for the laughs, but look at the reactions they get (usually always good), and realize they aren't even trying..Imagine how YOU look compared to someone not bothering to try? That's a big boost too.
Hey, I'm not doing it for the laughs, I'm doing it to wear a cool costume, and I try hard to make the outfit look good and look as good on me as possible. I'm just resigned to the fact that I'm not very passable these days... but that's no reason I can't have a fun outfit! And you're totally right on the great reactions

*-*-* Beards and skirts, we're making it work! *-*-*
PolyVinylAres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyVinylAres View Post
Hey, I'm not doing it for the laughs, I'm doing it to wear a cool costume, and I try hard to make the outfit look good and look as good on me as possible. I'm just resigned to the fact that I'm not very passable these days... but that's no reason I can't have a fun outfit! And you're totally right on the great reactions
This is one of those some but not all type things..I didn't think it needed to be said, but what I'm saying is like "all crossplayers that do it for laughs will be like that, but not everyone that is like that does it for laughs". Does that make sense?
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 09-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #9
AuraLucario7
Kaio-Ken!

I did my first crossplay this year. I'll tell ya I was nervous, but once I went out and did it I had a lot of fun. I didn't have one negative reaction, and even a few compliments and pictures. I understand why you would be nervous. You don't know what to expect, but take it from me, at a con, no one is gonna mind if you crossplay!
AuraLucario7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2014, 12:08 AM   #10
ArcaneSpringbrd

I did my first cosplay AND crossplay at GenCon this year. At 41.

And I had a BLAST.

There was only one guy who was a bit of a jerk, and one other who I overheard say, "I'm not sure, but I think that's a dude."

But I had tons of compliments from men AND women, including surprise high fives when a group of women realized I was crossplaying.

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Scarlett O'Hara prayer dress
ArcaneSpringbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2014, 03:45 AM   #11
builder396
Crossplayer

Only high-fives? I got tons of hugs. Hugs are 20% better!

Next Cosplay:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)

Planned cosplays:
Char B1 (Its a TANK, its not from an anime, unless you mean Girls und Panzer)
Kaito Kid (Detective Conan/Case Closed and Magic Kaito)
builder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #12
lemuries

Maybe high-fives were the only way of crossing over that beautiful tea-cup skirt?
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #13
PolyVinylAres
Friendship is Plastic

Quote:
This is one of those some but not all type things..I didn't think it needed to be said, but what I'm saying is like "all crossplayers that do it for laughs will be like that, but not everyone that is like that does it for laughs". Does that make sense?
Makes perfect sense. I didn't really think you meant it in a negative way at all, I just wanted to clarify.

It's kinda like how every so often someone I know will say, "So, be honest: do you wish you were a girl, what with all the costumes?" And I say, "Nope, I'm quite happy being a boy. But those outfits are too awesome not to wear!"

*-*-* Beards and skirts, we're making it work! *-*-*

Last edited by PolyVinylAres : 09-12-2014 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.
PolyVinylAres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2014, 10:07 PM   #14
ArcaneSpringbrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuries View Post
Maybe high-fives were the only way of crossing over that beautiful tea-cup skirt?
Hugs were exchanged as well.

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Scarlett O'Hara prayer dress
ArcaneSpringbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2014, 02:36 AM   #15
Gaarashatan

youre thinking about this all the wrong way. youre just cosplaying a trap. thats all there is to it
Gaarashatan is offline   Reply With Quote