Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 09-05-2016, 08:40 PM   #1
bronislav84

Where/how do people recommend changing?

Hi!

First-time cosplay and I'm not going to be a guy going as a guy, mostly because every character I even half want to cosplay is female. I cannot think of even one male I'd ever go as.

For people who are guys going as girls or girls going as guys, how is changing into the costume you will wear at a convention usually done? Is it as simple as using your sex's bathroom? It can't be that simple, can it? A "girl" walking in/out of the guy's bathroom or a "guy" walking in/out of the girl's bathroom is bound to make people uncomfortable.

Assume the following:
1. One is not staying in a hotel room so there is no personal space by/at the convention venue (Say it's at a hotel and you're not staying in said hotel) to change in. This is usually cause of traveling daily to a relatively close to home convention.
2. One is not comfortable traveling in the costume. Either it needs preparation time to put on or might get damaged if worn during travel.
3. One is not comfortable walking around in the costume outside the convention for even a block, mostly because of potential for getting robbed/attacked/insulted on the way.

Please help?
bronislav84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2016, 07:46 PM   #2
IamAnonymous

I have been in the same situation. I have used the handicap washrooms, and parents rooms to change in at the cons that I have attended while crossplaying. I have used the womens washrooms in a pinch but I have always had a female friend with me to make sure that there was no one in there first.
IamAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2016, 01:38 AM   #3
kenshin-chan64
Titillating Tuba Player

I have changed at conventions, both hotel and convention centers, using my own gender's bathroom several times before with no issues (and yes, even peed in there in my crossplay). It's a convention, and people dressing up as their opposite gender happens all the time and should really be no surprise or issue for them.
Granted I am a girl and girls cosplaying guys seems to be a more frequent thing than the other way around, so if you're feeling uncomfortable then maybe as IamAnonymous suggested you can look for 'family' or single stall bathrooms. Havent seen them in hotels, but at my local convention center they have a restroom in several of their dedicated first aid stations; you could ask the people working first aid if you could use that bathroom (if they have one).

Another alternative if it's a hotel, is see if any friends are rooming there, and ask if you could change in their room when you arrive from your commute.
kenshin-chan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #4
Marika

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
Hi!

First-time cosplay and I'm not going to be a guy going as a guy, mostly because every character I even half want to cosplay is female. I cannot think of even one male I'd ever go as.

For people who are guys going as girls or girls going as guys, how is changing into the costume you will wear at a convention usually done? Is it as simple as using your sex's bathroom? It can't be that simple, can it? A "girl" walking in/out of the guy's bathroom or a "guy" walking in/out of the girl's bathroom is bound to make people uncomfortable.

Assume the following:
1. One is not staying in a hotel room so there is no personal space by/at the convention venue (Say it's at a hotel and you're not staying in said hotel) to change in. This is usually cause of traveling daily to a relatively close to home convention.
2. One is not comfortable traveling in the costume. Either it needs preparation time to put on or might get damaged if worn during travel.
3. One is not comfortable walking around in the costume outside the convention for even a block, mostly because of potential for getting robbed/attacked/insulted on the way.

Please help?
If you are male, and identify as male, I don't care HOW costumed up you are, use the right bathroom. Just because a transgendered individual can do it doesn't mean someone who isn't trans should! That's just common sense.
Marika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2016, 06:58 PM   #5
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

Trust me. At a convention, EVERYONE is used to seeing people in all kinds of costumes coming out of both bathrooms. No, a female character walking out of the men's bathroom will not raise a single eyebrow. Especially if you're not passing.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #6
bronislav84

That's the thing. I identify as weird, and been forced into the just male thing by upbringing. Albeit the closed minded kind I've been trying to shake off.

I'm legitimately trying to pass and will be getting makeup and pads, so what Mari suggested kinda doesn't really apply. Add on the fact that I'm technically transgender (I believe I'm a girl who likes girls and born into the wrong physical body), and it really doesn't apply. This would be one of the few times besides Halloween I can be myself without scrutiny, and you guys can see why I'm unsure where to get changed. I'll be preferring to be called she and answering to my character's name.

So anyway it's really that simple to just use my physical assigned sex's bathroom? I've just never done any kind of costuming before, so would just like to be sure is all.

Last edited by bronislav84 : 09-11-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Unread 09-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #7
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

When you're trans, you have to comply with state laws.

I know, there are a lot of states where said laws are unfair and discriminatory. But you WILL get arrested if someone not with the convention who doesn't understand sees you in the women's room and they will unfortunately be in the right because they have the law on their side.

If you have nowhere else to change (a hotel, a family/unisex restroom) and are in a state where you will get arrested for not conforming to birth sex, then that's the unfortunate truth. It's hard for all of us trans people, but it's something we have to accept right now.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2016, 01:19 PM   #8
bronislav84

Well then that settles it I guess, thanks. In the absence of a family or unisex bathroom I'll have to use the men's room and freak out a couple of people. I'll have to look up what kind of bathrooms the venue has.

At least it's good to know other convention goers are generally used to it!
Unread 09-14-2016, 04:25 PM   #9
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

if your with friends, and are using a parking ramp, you can do the
"shield me while i change" gig

its not as "private feeling" as a stall or room but unless your just unlucky
theres usualy very little traffic in the ramp

and then do makeup in the building

that way even if your in with the girls, all you need to do is makeup and leave
i would assume that not much attention is given to a couple gals in the corner doing thier makeup, but id have no clue

i feel like it makes it "less intrusive" feeling to those who might get upset, if your accompanied apropiatly

disclaimer, i havent made any projects, so my input is only repeating things ive read here
or simply adding in "my 2 cents", which for the most part is valid advice, or atleast "sound in theory", having a second opinion is always a safe bet

Last edited by Dictamnus Albus : 09-14-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Dictamnus Albus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2016, 07:00 AM   #10
Viveeh
mango puff

I don't even know. I use the guys bathroom as male characters and sneak into the girls bathroom as female characters. In the end wherever you go it's what you look like that matters. Gender-marked bathrooms are an anxious hell.
Calne Ca human ver.
Prince Alphie

Support me
My Instagram
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2016, 11:02 AM   #11
Flammie
Fluff Dragon

Just use whatever bathroom you'd normally use. If you're still clearly male outside of cosplay then you will be safer in the men's room. At worst you might get a few stares whereas in the ladies' room, you are far more likely to upset the women there, who may then cause a scene over it. Plus, you're at a convention, so there's all kinds of bizarre costumes that show up in both bathrooms anyway, including crossplay.

But if you are already transitioning and pass outside of cosplay, and have been using the women's room in the world outside of conventions, then go in there.

Locke Cole (Amano) | Final Fantasy VI
Flammie | Secret of Mana
Sans | Undertale
Flammie is offline   Reply With Quote