Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 09-13-2015, 11:44 PM   #1
thelonelycloud

Questions about forming breasts

So, I have a few questions about what the best way is to form "breasts" for a crossplay. Would you recommend buying silicone pads like the ones that transgender women use (and if so where I could find ones of decent quality that aren't incredibly expensive,) or is there a decent method to padding one yourself. I don't want to go the super ghetto route of just stuffing a bra with tissues as A. I imagine it would not be very comfortable and B. I imagine that it would not look very good.

Additionally, and as a follow up (kind of) to the first question: How might one go about determining bra size. I understand that it is partially determined by the width of your chest, what I'm not sure about is how I should approach cup size. Since I am not actually a woman I cant determine that based on my breast size, so is there a legitimate method to knowing what size would look natural, or is it more along the lines of "try it out and just see." Or should the size of of breasts be dependent on the character you are crossplaying rather than what looks natural on your own body?

I know this is a lot of questions so if anyone could answer one or more of them I would greatly appreciate it, because I would really like avoid having mishapen or uneven breasts at a convention.

Last edited by thelonelycloud : 09-14-2015 at 03:22 AM.
thelonelycloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #2
ilafatyu
That guy

Bra size is two parts: Band size (circumference of your chest) and cup size (how big the boob-holding cups are). While you're right that band size is determined by chest size, cup size is basically throwing darts. Cup size can be pretty much anything on a cis woman regardless of the rest of her body (I have two friends with similar body types, one is a B and the other is a DD), so going with the character's size might be a good starting point. You'll probably be experimenting with size/shape/placement for a while, so don't sweat getting it perfect right away.

Do note that male breast tissue is located farther away than females', which are closer toward the center. A lot of beginner crossplayers slap boobs on top of their nipples and don't realize how odd it looks. Creepy as it sounds, look closely at ladies' boobs while watching TV to get a clearer idea of how they're positioned.

As for what to fill it with, that's something I hope a MtF crossplayer can answer for you. The 'chicken cutlets' they sell are a little pricey, but I hear they're very effective for women trying to look fuller, so it should be about the same for MtF crossplayers?

facebook page // nh/mass cosplay events
Next event: ???

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Actively constructing : Zell, Soren, Zexion
Back burner : Absol gijinka, Lie Ren
Coming next : Cloud
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #3
thelonelycloud

Hmmm... Ok thanks for the advice. As far as the band size is concerned I'm assuming that I can basically just measure my circumference and and just find a chart online that shows the right band size? If that's more or less how it's done I assume that I measure what, the midpoint of my rib-cage?
Unread 09-15-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
ilafatyu
That guy

For women, it's measured at the underbust (just below the boob tissue), so approx the same place on you. The band size is inches directly, no need to look up on a chart what you are.

facebook page // nh/mass cosplay events
Next event: ???

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Actively constructing : Zell, Soren, Zexion
Back burner : Absol gijinka, Lie Ren
Coming next : Cloud
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2015, 08:19 PM   #5
thelonelycloud

Well that's incredibly convenient. Thank you again!
Unread 09-30-2015, 02:18 AM   #6
NataliaPhxx

My best advice for this is "it depends!" Haha.

If you're not showing cleavage, I suggest filling them with a lighter material. They'll be less likely to move around and easier to wear for extended periods of time without being too heavy. I've seen some decent looks from people filling bras with foam (think couch cushion), etc.

There are some silicone breast forms on Amazon that aren't horribly expensive (<$50). I prefer these. They fill out a majority of the bra with a realistic size-to-weight ratio, then you can just pull your natural chest together toward the center to create realistic cleavage. Chest contouring can help accentuate that as well!

PS: Something that doesn't get mentioned often is how helpful a corset can be. In addition to creating the hourglass look, it also pushes your chest fat (if you have any) upward.

Good luck!

Some helpful YouTube vids:
Cleavage Contouring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oca-4BXJCp4
Creating Cleavage with "Boy Boobs": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjaKlp4Or5g
NataliaPhxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2015, 10:09 PM   #7
thelonelycloud

Hmm thanks for the advice. I was thinking about a corset, but I wasn't sure if it would actually help or not. I'll definitely consider using one though
Unread 10-30-2015, 08:19 AM   #8
builder396
Fresh Trans

For my miku cosplay I stuffed a bra with socks, but I could get away with it because the bra cups were stiff so it had the right shape, even if i put something un-round as socks in.

But it depends a bit on the exact cosplay whether or not you can get away with it.

Also a small tip is to maybe go for a bra slightly bigger than you need and simply stuff it less, because that way the shape on the upper part is a lot better, especially if your costume has a tendency to fold inward there. It would just look weird if the upper part of your breasts goes into your chest horizontally.
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid) at Cosday 2015 and Gamescom 2015

In Progress:

Maybes:
Eucliwood Hellscythe (Kore wa Zombie desu ka?)
Haruhi Suzumiya (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
Pzkpfw. VIII Maus (Its a TANK, its not from an anime, unless you mean Girls und Panzer)
Papi (Monster Musume)
builder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2015, 12:11 AM   #9
AuraLucario7

Personally I use a sports bra stuffed with socks. Its worked for the crossplays pretty good so far, but I plan to start using something else.
Anime World Chicago (2011)
Kollision Con (2011-2012)
Con Alt Delete (2014)
Anime Milwaukee (2013)

Upcoming Cons:

Con Alt Delete 2015
Anime Central 2016

2015/2016 Cosplays

Angel Stocking (Panty & Stocking w/ Garterbelt) (done)
Gohan (Dragon Ball Z: Revival of F) (done)
Parasoul (Skullgirls) (in progress)
World's End Dancehall Miku (Vocaloid) (planned)
AuraLucario7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2015, 02:23 AM   #10
cidriti

Just need buy a breast from suit online, that's all!
cidriti is offline   Reply With Quote