Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 189 votes, 4.95 average.
Unread 11-25-2003, 07:27 PM   #211
Nancyboynoire
Glomp.

I don't know about the whole tape thing... *winces* Sounds painfull to remove... and it's so tender aorund there... yeowch! I personally prefer just wearing a sports bra, (( well last time I had to wear too. *coughs* they're getting bigger... )) and I find that if you're crossplaying a hero-type character like Tidus of Link it almost looks like you gots Man boobs!!! (um... pec-something... you know chest muscles) but that's just what works best for me personally I don't think it would work if you were particularly chesty...
Nancyboynoire is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2003, 08:34 PM   #212
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

Tape = how to look totally natural and unbound in an open-fronted shirt. Like: show REAL SKIN all the way down to the navel. Hot showers (for removal) are my friend.

Besides, it IS the most comfortable and breatheable method I have. ~__^ Just have to caaaaaaarefully take it off.
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2003, 10:28 PM   #213
ACXchan
I sink you now!

I should try the bare chest method sometime because I don't like it when the silver of the duct tape peeks out now and then @D@

I don't know if this has been discussed but lately my concern is whether taping will make thine boobs sag. This would be my main concern with trying Karisu's bare chest method. I'm a 36C.
ACXchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2003, 12:34 AM   #214
Karisu-sama
Board Moderator

More on tape: If after wearing it for a while, if it feels like it's rubbing and starting to raise a blister somewhere, - it probably IS. Remove (or at least at that location.) Duct tape (which I have not used) may actually do that less than sports tape; it has stronger glue. =/ Sports tape does not adhere so tightly, but is a more flexible tape.

I can't speak for other people on "sagging", since everyone has different firmness of breast tissue, etc. The only "sag" / loss of firmness that I have experienced (which to most people does not look like ANY sag at all - but I know the difference) had nothing to do with any form of binding. It's the result of breastfeeding two children.

Your Mileage May Vary, of course.
Unread 12-06-2003, 04:18 AM   #215
ACXchan
I sink you now!

LOL sweet, not *too* much risk with the mileage then XD

I usually manage to avoid skin irritation when using duct tape by wearing a bandeau bra then wrapping the tape over it. I don't know if sports tape would adhere to cloth material well and still be removable at the same time, but it does minimize the skin irritation by covering up some of your body area ^ ^ When removing the tape, wedge the blade between the tape and material so you can make an incision and tear the tape down the middle. In most cases the bandeau survives the ordeal. Both of mine have tape residue on them but neither are torn.
Unread 12-07-2003, 07:56 PM   #216
Karisu-sama
Board Moderator

I only use tape when I'm going for a full frontal skin look for a very open-in-front costume, otherwise I use an Ace bandage, a compression shirt, or a "waist-slimmer" thing pulled up over my chest (all much quicker to remove. ) If I can wrap something all the way around and the costume won't show it, I don't bother with tape. (But then, I'm not a C! )

Cloth sports tape adheres to cloth sports tape better than to other cloth, from what I've seen. (It didn't work folded over in place of double-sided tape to keep my unzipped jacket from revealing too much. )
Unread 12-09-2003, 08:46 PM   #217
ACXchan
I sink you now!

Karisu: otherwise I use an Ace bandage, a compression shirt, or a "waist-slimmer" thing pulled up over my chest (all much quicker to remove. )

LOL I used something similar over at AX03. I experimented with one of those elastic back support things and wore it over my chest. It actually works fairly well, but probably wouldn't support the illusion for an open shirt @D@
Unread 12-23-2003, 07:23 PM   #218
otakutre
Cake 'n' Cosplay

Heh. "Mileage."

Anyway, before beginning work on my first crossplay I figured that if I was going to be fitting garments to my torso, I'd better not have any extra curves that wouldn't be there when I wear it for real. Compensating for breasts during the construction and then suddenly not having them is sure to make a top fit funny.

So I bought a 4-inch velcro ACE brand bandage and attempted to do a quick wrap tonight to make sure I liked the look. I'm only a B so I figured it shouldn't be too hard. Yeah. Well, the shape wasn't ideal. I was flatter to be sure... but the profile was a little off.

Any recommendations? Is it best to wrap from top to bottom or from bottom to top? Should I try an additional bandage... just in case? What I have is enough to start the fittings with, but for the con, I want the shape to look better.
Unread 12-23-2003, 11:37 PM   #219
Karisu-sama
Board Moderator

You have to figure out where to relocate things so that they hide the best. For me (barely B) I wrap more from bottom to top, and adjust things upward and out to the sides as much as I can - sort of gives an illusion of pectoral muscles. A second bandage can help, but just make sure things aren't too tight on the ribs so as to cause pain (that is very bad.)

My daughter has to use 2 bandages - she is more endowed ( for her ) and cannot pull things upward much without it giving her more cleavage. For her, her compression shirt actually works best.

I use 6" (wider, so works much better than 4") NON-self-sticky ACE brand bandages (store or other brand are much weaker) with clips (when the clips break or get lost I use safety pins perpendicular to the direction of pull.)
Unread 12-26-2003, 11:41 AM   #220
otakutre
Cake 'n' Cosplay

Karisu: I think I'll try the tape method that you mentioned in post #1. Is this Johnson & Johnson tape available in the average drugstore? I may look for it in the next day or so and give it a test run. Thankies.
Unread 12-29-2003, 02:31 PM   #221
Hanyaan
at paranoia's poison door

I've read this thread and nobody seems to have mentioned this. I found a cheap (and pre-existing in my case) alternate for a compression shirt. Just because I was wondering if it would work on my C/D cups, I tried on a one-piece child's swimsuit (I'm 5'2", I can fit a kid's swimsuit) that I had from a few years ago that just barely fits me still. Although it's not as good as what smaller-chested people get, it got me down to the appearance of A cups or (most likely) smaller. Woohoo! It was some kind of Land's End swimsuit. ^____^ Not sure this helps anybody, but I thought I should share that.
Unread 12-30-2003, 03:36 PM   #222
otakutre
Cake 'n' Cosplay

Hmm. That bathing suit top thing makes TONS of sense! (PS love your avatar quote (it DOES) and the Good Omens ref in your sig)

Karisu-sama: Tried the tape method because I, too, shall have a low-cut shirt. I just used some 3M tape I had lying about that I had overlooked. I used maybe three strips around (just to get an idea) and... WOW. I... where did they GO??? That's awesome and I couldn't be more pleased. Admittedly, I'm a little tender on the sides, I think, from the tape... but that just means I need better medical tape. Yayeee!
Unread 12-30-2003, 05:07 PM   #223
dani
Boots were made 4 walking

Sorry for jumping in on an issue I can only see from the opposite side of the fence, but please humor me for a second and see if this makes any difference:

Instead of doing the binding standing up (presumably in front of a mirror), doing it while laying horizontally in bed, looking at the ceiling. Of course you need to raise your back a bit to pass the binding through, but I'd guess gravity can help you reposition you goodies, and you'd only need to make sure they stay that way when you stand up.

It occured to me because I sometimes bend my chest down when taping to MAKE cleavage. (wouldn't it be a lot easier if we could just lend and borrow *some" items?)

Best of luck....

Dani
dani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2003, 02:23 PM   #224
Lulani
\=o=/

Well, this is really useful! Thanks ^^
Though it's really easy for me anyway since I'm...32 AA xD
Lulani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 02:54 PM   #225
crossplay_girl4

I read the different methods and so I went into my barthoom and found this tan tape that you use for sprains and such. so I tested it out it works fine ( Using the method for #62 excepts crossing over the chest horizontaly.) but I need either wider tape or just more of it. Either way i think this is a good method for people who aren't above a b. It's accually comfortable but I think it could be improved a bit more. I'll keep messing with it.

THIS WORLD IS MADE OF LOVE AND PEACE! *chants*

Also should point out it works if you're covered up XP

Last edited by crossplay_girl4 : 01-12-2004 at 04:58 PM.
crossplay_girl4 is offline   Reply With Quote