Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 239 votes, 4.96 average.
Unread 02-02-2004, 10:52 PM   #241
Young Blood

I KNOW this has probably already been posted on here somewhere but there are SO many posts to read through, so I apologize if it's already in here.

I'll be crossplaying as InuYasha at Otakon 2004, and I REALLY need to figure out how to bind properly. (Though I have some SLIGHT leeway because his red haori type shirt is semi-baggy, but I'll be taking that off to let 'Kagome' wear) So. Here's the issue. (I know this is probably TMI for some people.. but in truth there's no real way to get around it.
I am... well endowed. I have a DD and am most likely still getting bigger (me being 16), and I need to find a way to bind my chest at least semi-decently.

Otakon isn't until July, so I have time to try and lose some weight to see if that helps, but in all honesty, IF it does anything, it'll take off less than a cup size. *wishes she was still in fourth grade when she was mostly flat and looked like a boy*

Anyone have any suggestions?
I could really use the tips.

Unread 02-14-2004, 11:05 PM   #242
Angara
A`Sraointe Aingeal

Look at post #'s 1, 44 and 62. AND pay close attention if you see a longer post amidst this thread by Karisu-sama aww yeah

That'll narrow some of it down for you.

Last edited by Angara : 02-14-2004 at 11:06 PM. Reason: forgot somthing
Angara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2004, 08:48 AM   #243
Fault
Funtastic

Finally, I have my Iori Unchest photos. I am usually a 30DD, so the faux-bicep look is about as flat as I'm gunna get.

I consider this a 100% success. And I have Karisu-sama to thank for the tips on how to make it work so well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unchest.jpg (24.1 KB, 81 views)
Unread 02-16-2004, 01:53 PM   #244
Kokuu
Armed and Dangerous

*claps* nice job Fault! Which method did you end up using?

I'm surprised that noone has mentioned it here, but muslin cut on the bias (diagonal to the straight grain of the fabric) about a foot wide, and a couple yards long works fairly well, especially for women with larger boobs, since it's wider then the ace bandage. It does a fairly good job at smooshing me from a DD to around an A, though I'm not happy with the whole "uni-boob" effect. I still think I can do better, so I'm planning on trial running the compression shirt/back brace together as soon as my compression shirt comes in the mail.
Kokuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2004, 04:04 PM   #245
dani
Boots were made 4 walking

Looking at Fault and Kokuu avatars... are you two sisters separated at birth?

Dani
dani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2004, 06:36 PM   #246
Fault
Funtastic

*sweatdrop* I don't think we are. I have one sister already... You're right though, those grins are eerily similar.

..And I was using the patented Karisu-sama untaped cleavage method. The left pic would've been indecent otherwise.
Unread 02-16-2004, 08:49 PM   #247
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

That's excellent work, Fault. Makes me even more curious about finding a costume I can do that would involve testing out said method. *applause*

Kokuu - I'll mention that method to a friend of mine. She's not exactly looking to crossplay, but she's much bigger than I am and wants to simply get a little smaller for one or two costumes. Something about a Kill Bill jumpsuit. Muslin sounds like just the method that would work, and it's something both of us have lying around in piles!

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2004, 06:05 PM   #248
Black Glass <3
The writer of bishis

Ah...binding X.x;;; I love doing it, and from this nice long thread (I read every post XD) I think I'm gonna try the "un-chest" ^^

Me: I love Gackt. I am obsessed with Gackt. I am Gackt.
Bethy: Really? Where's the package?
Me: ...Somewhere. Down. There.
Bethy: I don't see--
Me: SHUT UP!
Black Glass <3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2004, 08:57 PM   #249
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fault
Finally, I have my Iori Unchest photos. I am usually a 30DD, so the faux-bicep look is about as flat as I'm gunna get.

I consider this a 100% success. And I have Karisu-sama to thank for the tips on how to make it work so well.
You're welcome. ^____________^

o.@ - you're normally a 30DD??? By those pictures I'd NEVER guess!!!
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2004, 05:34 PM   #250
KireiX

Question What the heck man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chai_fiend
ok i dont see the point in binding at all. maybe its cuz like Lolita Goth, i'm a D-cup too and the thought of mashing that much flesh to my chest doesn't appeal to me. (isnt that why women find mammograms uncomfy). first of all, if you're crossplaying someone well, it shouldn't matter whether or not we can see the tits. also, breasts are beautiful. so i say NO to binding and encourage others to join me in this protest.
I understand you have a right to your opinion and all.... but C'mon this isnt like a stand up for your rights podeum. These women can make up their own mind.
KireiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2004, 05:51 PM   #251
Karisu-sama
Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KireiX
I understand you have a right to your opinion and all.... but C'mon this isnt like a stand up for your rights podeum. These women can make up their own mind.
Don't worry; that post was pretty old and was responded to quite a while ago. Chai Fiend hasn't been back since.

Besides, I can tell you from experience that binding is a hella lot more comfortable, and VASTLY different, than a mammogram. >.<
Unread 02-24-2004, 10:23 AM   #252
Anele
Cosplaying the Rare Ones

I read through the thread, and didn't find the answer to a question I had.

If you buy a binding shirt (the one described in the first thread) and cut it down the middle in a "V", do you think it will still hold, or lose its grip (which is what I am thinking)?

I was going to use this as well as the athletic bandage / tape binding method to achieve my flat, open-chested Sephiroth look (first the shirt, then the bandages over that, or vice versa), because I have a chest bigger than a B size.

Can anyone help me on this? Or if my idea needs work, can anyone offer ideas? Thanks in advance!

Yours Truly,
~ Anele
Anele is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2004, 07:59 PM   #253
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

All right, tested out the tape-binding method (planning to do a battle-damaged version of Hiei with shirt ripped in the front) and I'm having a slight problem. Overall, well, one side is bigger than the other. Most women have this problem, I hear. But when I did the taping as directed, I got one side down flat...but not the other. Of course, the larger side. It doesn't seem to want to flatten. And I'm just an A! Karisu, how did you get uber-flat?

I will say I like the tape-binding. I may do it more often than regular binding, depending on the outfit I'm wearing. Good thing I tested this now, rather than find out at the con that I need to do something slightly different!

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 10:02 PM   #254
Karisu-sama
Board Moderator

Anele: If you cut a "V" in a binding shirt, I'm betting it will lose it's ability to flatten well. (Especially if it's a deep V.)

You can certainly combine multiple methods to hold your chest in. If you dye a compression shirt to a skin tone (I used acid dyes; combo of salmon and ecru for my skin tone), and use it over bandaging, it would give a fairly smooth "chest skin" effect with only the neckline up on top really giving the shirt away. (My kid uses this on occasion.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CapsuleCorp: I'm between an A and a B (A+? B-? ), but there's a lot of perfectly normal variation on shape and firmness and such. (I've nursed 2 kids, so mine are a bit more "malleable" now than they used to be, but everyone will be different.) Yes, most women will have one side slightly larger than the other. I'd suggest try getting the "larger" side flat first (your first few pieces of tape are the most crucial to this), and then flatten the other side to match so that at least you have an even look.

What I do is try to get the anchor strip effect even on both sides, then the first few strips, and I continue to alternate sides back and forth, trying to keep them as even as possible, until I'm done.
Unread 02-26-2004, 10:20 AM   #255
Anele
Cosplaying the Rare Ones

Thanks for the info, Karisu! *hugs* You should have seen me a week ago; I printed out every (well, almost every XD) post of yours that described the method and application of the athletic bandages and tape. I am trying to stay away from having any shirt underneath my Sephiroth (one of the advantages of having a "breathable" chest under all that black pleather: cooling system!). I really liked your method on the athletic bonding, and I wish / hope that the system will work on me, with me having a C-sized chest and all. Any other help would be GREATLY appreciated.

~ Anele
Anele is offline   Reply With Quote