Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 283 votes, 4.97 average.
Unread 07-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #3766
Ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearthem View Post
Hi! I've done a bit of research about binding.. I've never done but for some cosplays I want to try.
I'm a 34B and I was wondering if a sports bra would be good enough? I have one but it was only about 11 bucks, so it's pretty thin and I thought maybe it wasn't the best sports bra for this sort of thing.
Any recommended companies for binders? Or specific binders?

Thanks!! :')
You could try doubling up on sports bras, if you have the funds to buy another. Before I made my binder, two thin sports bras worked just fine.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #3767
Hearthem
Behbehfish

Pirogoeth: Ah I did see it but I thought maybe I would want a different way because the size is different. I thought some binders are better for certain sizes.

Ilafatyu: Doubling sounds doable! I read somewhere that you put the first one on backwards, but I also read that that can lead to problems?
Hearthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #3768
Tiramisuki

So I got my Underworks Tri-top in the mail the other day. I'm a 32B, 35" around my bust, 29" under my bust, so because the average was 32", I ordered a small.

Now, maybe it's just me, but getting that mo-fo on and off is a two-person job, and the end result is still kinda uncomfortable (though that discomfort may just be from the fight in getting it on). I thought about exchanging this binder for one of a larger size, but I thought it might be less effective. Though if I'm going to make an exchange/return, I have to make the decision soon.

Is there some secret method to equipping a binder or breaking it in, and I just missed the memo?
I could really use some advice to making the process of putting on my binder easier and less painful please. Any tips?
Lambda-11 (cloak outfit) - Blazblue
Gou (street clothes) - Free!
Tiramisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #3769
SilentCAt
Twisted Hi-def Fly girl

Thank you Kelley. I would have responded earlier, but I wasn't sure if anyone was going to.
SilentCAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #3770
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

Tiramisuki: I step into it and pull it up. It can be a little tricky getting your arms in, but it's much easier than trying to get it on over your head. To get it off, I cross my arms in front of me, grab the bottom and pull up. It gets it off without needing another person to help you strip. It does take some practice, but eventually you're putting it on and taking it off like you always use it. GL!

Working on:
First Doctor Bathing Suit, The Doctor, Dawn, Shigure Sohma, GIR, Science Officer [DS9]

Eventually:
Science Officer [TNG], Science Officer [FC], Pirogoeth (D&D oc), The Dude (on The Grid)
Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #3771
Ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearthem View Post
Pirogoeth: Ah I did see it but I thought maybe I would want a different way because the size is different. I thought some binders are better for certain sizes.

Ilafatyu: Doubling sounds doable! I read somewhere that you put the first one on backwards, but I also read that that can lead to problems?
I tried wearing the first one backward because I thought it would reduce the uniboob, but it just ended up pressing down on my chest and made it difficult to breathe. You can give it a try, though.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #3772
Tiramisuki

Pirogoeth05: Oh, snap. It never occurred to me to try to step into it. I just figured I'd never get it over my thighs. I'll have to give that a try though. Thank you so much! I'll let you know if it works out.
Lambda-11 (cloak outfit) - Blazblue
Gou (street clothes) - Free!
Tiramisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #3773
Cosplaymemo

Unhappy

Please please PLEASE DONT USE TAPE OR BANDAGES!
These are really very bad for you and strapping yourself too tightly with tape or bandages can cause fractured ribs! It's so incredibly dangerous, I just... I worry for everyone that does it.

I reccomend sports bra's as a quick fix (its still not good for you but better than the other options I've seen here) But honestly if you will be crossplaying a lot girls buy yourself a good quality binder!

These are made for transmen for Every day use that means they are safe, efficient and comfortable. That pain you get when you bind with bandages? you wont get that with a proper binder. You can buy them here - > http://www.t-kingdom.com/ they have a sizing chart as well so you can get the best fit and a return policy if you order the wrong size.

Please cosplay safe guys!
Cosplaymemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #3774
GilnoKoibito

I know this has likely already been discussed but there's over 250 pages and I have no idea how to search for this. >_< So I apologize if this is a repeat but...

What would work best for a very large girl, chest binding wise?
I normally wear between a 44C-44D depending upon bra brand. And so far I've only gotten close to making my chest flatter with corsets, but of course, that's not perfect...there's the whole thing where my boobs cause super cleavage in a corset (it kind of pushes them up) as well as the corset adding even more of a curve to my body. So, is there any other methods I could use?
GilnoKoibito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #3775
CosplayJelly
The Greatest Jelly

is it possible for a size 32 D (which is the same as a 34 c and 36 b i believe,) to get this flat? http://s5.favim.com/orig/54/cosplay-...com-528434.jpg and if so, HOW?
Miss Fortune (LoL)- 0% thinking
Tera Elin- 0% thinking
Hermione- 99% waiting for shipment to arrive
Conventions~
OtakonAnime USAKatsucon!
CosplayJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #3776
Kelley
Devil of Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilnoKoibito View Post
I know this has likely already been discussed but there's over 250 pages and I have no idea how to search for this. >_< So I apologize if this is a repeat but...

What would work best for a very large girl, chest binding wise?
I normally wear between a 44C-44D depending upon bra brand. And so far I've only gotten close to making my chest flatter with corsets, but of course, that's not perfect...there's the whole thing where my boobs cause super cleavage in a corset (it kind of pushes them up) as well as the corset adding even more of a curve to my body. So, is there any other methods I could use?
Look into getting a binder that's designed for binding. They're less expensive than a good corset and don't create and enhance curves (which corsets do even when they're designed for men - which was in fashion at some points historically).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosplayJelly View Post
is it possible for a size 32 D (which is the same as a 34 c and 36 b i believe,) to get this flat? http://s5.favim.com/orig/54/cosplay-...com-528434.jpg and if so, HOW?
Maybe, it really depends on the person. While the VOLUME of 32D and 36B might be the same, the PROPORTION is different - and makes binding much different.

If you attach tennis balls to a street lamp pole and then to a pencil, the volume of the tennis balls is no different - but they're going to be much larger proportionally on the pencil. The pencil can't get "flat" whereas it would be easy for the street lamp.

Your best bet is getting a Tri Top binder. It can get 30E "that flat" - although it depends on the individual. It's really the best bet. There are some other great binders out there these days, but not like that.

However, if you don't need to wear something tight or only the binder (you can dye the white) you don't actually need to get "that flat" and would be more comfortable not doing so. The reason why I bought some less "intense" binders is because after a few hours being "that flat" from a 30E it's not comfortable and can be painful. Great for a photoshoot, but not all day wear. This isn't inherent to the Tri-Top itself, but just to the size that I have and the extreme pressure it puts the rib cage under to turn a 30E into a pancake. I've considered buying the next size up Tri-Top, but I found some binders for $6 on eBay that are comfortable and provide "moderate" binding that's comfortable all day even if it's not "totally flat" (which, again, isn't a good thing always - if you're wearing something that isn't skin tight being "totally flat" will work AGAINST you because you're only making your rib cage look tinier than it needs to - which makes it look more feminine).

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #3777
GilnoKoibito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
Look into getting a binder that's designed for binding. They're less expensive than a good corset and don't create and enhance curves (which corsets do even when they're designed for men - which was in fashion at some points historically).
Any idea where I can find one? I've looked on a few sites before, but they never carry my size.
GilnoKoibito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #3778
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilnoKoibito View Post

Any idea where I can find one? I've looked on a few sites before, but they never carry my size.
http://sillysisshisunshine.deviantar...-Gone-79034559 might be able to help.

Working on:
First Doctor Bathing Suit, The Doctor, Dawn, Shigure Sohma, GIR, Science Officer [DS9]

Eventually:
Science Officer [TNG], Science Officer [FC], Pirogoeth (D&D oc), The Dude (on The Grid)
Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #3779
NeonPoptarts

There's this binder that's been floating around Tumblr the past few days, a lot of people have said good things about it and I was wondering if anyone can tell me about it? (there's also been crap about cosplayers using them for costumes, but i won't talk about that)
~Throwback Friday
NeonPoptarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 03:45 AM   #3780
Kelley
Devil of Details

I bought the short version and is moderately effective, but not amazing. I wouldn't recommend a long one because like other binders it doesn't really breathe and it's hot and sweaty.

I bought the medium based off my measurements, but I am holding off doing a review until I get a small and try it too. The one I have is okay for smaller chests

or if someone only needs light binding - like under a loose t-shirt or something bulky. It is comfortable, but so far that's a trade off in that it's not greatly effective - I suspect the small will work better but will be less comfortable.

Edit: I bought the small today so I'll have a proper review with pictures in a week or so. The medium I would wear for "everyday" use (where I want to be comfortable first and foremost and usually wear a jacket, anyway) , but if I was just a cosplayer looking for something to wear a few times a year I don't think it's worth it, but I think the next size down will work well for that, but we'll see exactly how much smaller it is when it gets here. I'm wearing the medium on the smallest latch and hope the small is comparable in the largest so that as it stretches from wear I can downsize and thus extend the life.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan

Last edited by Kelley : 08-21-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote