Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 261 votes, 4.97 average.
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #3781
Viveeh
necrocarnival

Lately my binder hurts my back and I don't know what to do... After wearing it my ribs hurt all day. ><
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #3782
Kelley
Devil of Details

What binder is it (and what size) ? And what size are you (measurements, not bra size) ? And where in your ribs ?

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #3783
Masenkohuh
lord of spandex

I've run into a similar problem. I haven't got a proper binder yet, and so for measurement purposes I subbed with woven cotton and wrapped like an ace bandage. I only wore it for 20 minutes tops and after removing the binding I had a sharp pain under my scapula (shoulderblade) on the right side. Its swollen and hurts like a bugger... not sure if maybe a trip to the emergency room is in order. Lesson learned, DO NOT USE WOVEN COTTON!
I'm going to try that sports tape method after I heal. I really hope I haven't broken anything. :s
Fan Expo '14 lineup:
Friday: Rinoa Heartilly ~ Final Fantasy 8
Saturday: Tsunade ~ Naruto
Sunday: Envy ~ Fullmetal Alchemist
Masenkohuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #3784
Kelley
Devil of Details

The fabric MUST be stretchy ! D: (try a Redicare or Urgent Care before an ER ! less wait, lower bill - great for all your needs that aren't totally life-threatening )

Be careful with the tape - if you would like, link to the method you're thinking of. "Open shirt" tape binding can be okay, but using medical or sports' tape can be iffy. I really don't go for using tape to bind unless you have to - if you actually need the shirt open that far and cannot use a binder.

What are your measurements if I may ask ? (actual measurements, not bra size) I'm working on a review of a $5 binder from China now, but the Tri-Top is still the best investment in my opinion when it comes to being able to bind "flattest" with the most comfort and no danger of harming yourself. The $5 might work for you, that's why I ask.

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #3785
Viveeh
necrocarnival

It's a pretty hard-core binder I made for cosplay, made from tape. It makes the lower part of my entire ribs hurt, and it's hard to move. I suppose I'm going to have to retire it. It just started hurting me a while ago, so I don't know what's up with it.

I've been working on a new, lighter one, and I think I should also buy another one as I wear them daily...
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #3786
Masenkohuh
lord of spandex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
The fabric MUST be stretchy ! D: (try a Redicare or Urgent Care before an ER ! less wait, lower bill - great for all your needs that aren't totally life-threatening )

Be careful with the tape - if you would like, link to the method you're thinking of. "Open shirt" tape binding can be okay, but using medical or sports' tape can be iffy. I really don't go for using tape to bind unless you have to - if you actually need the shirt open that far and cannot use a binder.

What are your measurements if I may ask ? (actual measurements, not bra size) I'm working on a review of a $5 binder from China now, but the Tri-Top is still the best investment in my opinion when it comes to being able to bind "flattest" with the most comfort and no danger of harming yourself. The $5 might work for you, that's why I ask.
I'm 40 inches total bust. I'm also in the process of weight loss. I'm in need of a method that allows for a stomach to show (I'm cosplaying Envy from FMA) so I'm not sure if I can get away with a binder or not. As it is right now the Top barely covers my sports bra straps as well.
Also I found out I just gave myself a hell of a bruise (about the size of an apple), but nothing broken from my failed chest binding experiment. I'm feeling much better.
Fan Expo '14 lineup:
Unread 09-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #3787
Ilafatyu
That guy

Does anyone have any tips for getting smooth binding? Stuff that won't be really obvious under a tight shirt. I'm considering a 'shirtless' cosplay and would rather not have a raised ends of fabric sticking out or bulgy shadows across my manchest leotard thing. I'm not very big, so heavy compression's not much of an issue.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #3788
Kelley
Devil of Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viveeh View Post
It's a pretty hard-core binder I made for cosplay, made from tape. It makes the lower part of my entire ribs hurt, and it's hard to move. I suppose I'm going to have to retire it. It just started hurting me a while ago, so I don't know what's up with it.

I've been working on a new, lighter one, and I think I should also buy another one as I wear them daily...
If you wear them daily, investing in a few Tri-Tops is pretty invaluable. I actually wear the $6 binder thing on days that I wear something bulkier - which is a lot of days. If you can get away with light compression (either wearing bulkier things or you don't need a lot in the first place) it's so worth the $6.

A binder NEEDS to stretch. The thing is, the Tri-Top is made to be strong, but it will give under the force of your breathing. It's not just stretchy, what's important is the force it takes to stretch - that's engineering that you can't really replicate with consumer fabrics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masenkohuh View Post
I'm 40 inches total bust. I'm also in the process of weight loss. I'm in need of a method that allows for a stomach to show (I'm cosplaying Envy from FMA) so I'm not sure if I can get away with a binder or not. As it is right now the Top barely covers my sports bra straps as well.
Also I found out I just gave myself a hell of a bruise (about the size of an apple), but nothing broken from my failed chest binding experiment. I'm feeling much better.
Both binders that I use - the Tri-Top and the $6 Chinese one don't go down to the hips - they're like sport's bras (the Tri-Top is a bit longer but it can be rolled up or hemmed). In fact, I always recommend a shorter binder except in very rare cases - they're just more comfortable - the fabric doesn't breathe that well so you don't want to be covered in it any more than necessary - so shorter is much better.

If you don't have a very large difference between bust and underbust the $6 Binder might work for you - it looks like the XL would be the right size, but check against your measurements. I mean, it's only $6 so you can't really go wrong - although if you can afford the Tri-Top it's a surer bet.

They also have strapless binders - but it's sort of hit-or-miss if they'll work for you or if they'll try to slide down you all day. I have a friend who loves theirs, but they've never worked for me. You can find them on eBay, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
Does anyone have any tips for getting smooth binding? Stuff that won't be really obvious under a tight shirt. I'm considering a 'shirtless' cosplay and would rather not have a raised ends of fabric sticking out or bulgy shadows across my manchest leotard thing. I'm not very big, so heavy compression's not much of an issue.
Personally, I would do a middle-layer of a slightly squishy fabric to even everything out if looking absolutely seamless was the goal. This might also be one of the few cases where suffering through wearing a long binder would be an idea since it would guarantee no stomach/rib cage line.

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 09-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #3789
Masenkohuh
lord of spandex

Thanks for the advice Kelley, I've put in an order for the $6 chest binder. I think it will work with my Envy Costume quite well, any straps or stuff can be tucked with fashion tape I think.
Fan Expo '14 lineup:
Unread 09-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #3790
Viveeh
necrocarnival

Thanks for linking to the binder, Kelley, I'm gonna get myself a couple of those. XD
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #3791
Ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
Personally, I would do a middle-layer of a slightly squishy fabric to even everything out if looking absolutely seamless was the goal. This might also be one of the few cases where suffering through wearing a long binder would be an idea since it would guarantee no stomach/rib cage line.
Bluh bluh, you're probably right with the long binder. Probably be easier disguising the hourglass that way, too. Thanks. You're everyone's hero.

its reserch teim nao

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #3792
korikachan
KiyuxTheSinger

I'm a 36B (my bust measurement is 36 inches) and want to cosplay Hideyoshi's swimsuit from Baka & Test. I need to do some sort of binding that won't show through the green sports bra I'm making into the top. Any suggestions? I also have asthma, so I can't be bound too tightly or I won't be able to breathe.

Has anyone actually bought those binding shirts? Because the picture just looks like a tank top for men. I'm really confused about it.

Thanks in advance!
Unread 10-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #3793
MelodyK

Hey, Korika - I've got asthma too and I'm going to get my first binder this week. Once it comes in the mail I'll try to remember to post and say what I think about binders + asthma.

I have a phobia of things being too tight on my lungs after having a bad theatre experience involving a tight dress, stage fright, and an asthma attack combined. But I've met other cosplayers who have binders and they say it's not that bad. So I'm going to give it a go.

Past & current cosplays: Death (Sandman), fem!Sam Winchester (Supernatural), Eleventh Doctor (Doctor Who), genderbent!Haruhi (TMOHS), Tamaki (Ouran), Castiel (Supernatural), L (Deathnote)

Cosplay dreams: Takuto (Fullmoon wo Sagashite), Break (Pandora Hearts), Watanuki Kimihiro (xxxHolic), Ciel Phantomhive (Black Butler), nearly everyone from Pandora Hearts and Tsubasa
MelodyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #3794
Monocle_Complex
Chessmate

I just bought one of those $6 chest binders, not gonna lie-- I'm pretty excited for it. Especially since for three years now for all of my crossplays I've been having to do without them. I'll write more when I've actually had the chance to try it out.

Anime Detour 2014:
• Corvo Attano [100% Complete]
•Spider Splicer [100% Complete]

Anime Detour 2014:
•Spider Splicer
Monocle_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #3795
Swiftstart

How good is the $6 one? I'm a 34B which I know is basically no boobs, but I'm curious as to how effective it is? Because I don't want to buy just some extra layer of fabric or something; I want something I know will work