Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 300 votes, 4.97 average.
Unread 05-02-2006, 11:08 PM   #841
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I've used toupee tape. It's nice stuff. The only time I had a problem with it coming unstuck was when I stuck it somewhere, then didn't like the position and re-positioned it. After peeling it off the first time, it just didn't want to stick back in the same place quite as securely. But otherwise, I've loved it. I can get it in individual strips here (at a costume shop) for 25 cents a strip, which is why I pretty much swear by it. And it holds my bulky Kougaiji jacket down noooo problem.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-03-2006, 02:30 AM   #842
Jujubeans
Constantly tired.

Does it matter if you lie down or stand up when taping? x_- I have big boobies...
Unread 05-03-2006, 12:05 PM   #843
Crimson Firefly
Paku Romi Wannabe

Capsule corp: My sister has some body glue which she says worked great to keep her dress on for prom... and it says it can be used for toupés too, so I think I will try that before buying any. If it doesn't work I'll definately go for the toupé tape though! Thanks for the testimonial.''

Jujubeans: I don't even know if it's possible to lie down and tape. The tape methods require tape circling around the back, so it'd be really hard to do it laying down. Just try it standing up and see how you do, you'll get it after a few tries .

Ayanami Rei [Evangelion]
Kuma [Persona 4]
Sheila (update) [Mahou Shoujotai Arusu]

Crimson Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2006, 04:53 AM   #844
Jujubeans
Constantly tired.

It's just a thought though. If I can't tape for certain costumes, maybe I can just sports bra it all. xD
Unread 05-06-2006, 06:43 PM   #845
Crimson Firefly
Paku Romi Wannabe

Sports bras can be quite useful. I wore one at a small convention instead of binding and you really couldn't see the girls in any of the pictures - half of it is from the hang of my outfit I think... but still it's good!
I'm only Bcup though... probably not what you consider big :-p.

Ayanami Rei [Evangelion]
Kuma [Persona 4]
Sheila (update) [Mahou Shoujotai Arusu]

Crimson Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2006, 11:55 PM   #846
crimson sky
Aikyo

I've actaully tried taping while laying down, I just didn't go around all the way with the tape.
I don't know how it would work with larger ones, but I'm pretty small, so they pretty much shifted into place, so that was very helpful (and mildly depressing XD). I just arched my back up a bit to get the tape under, and then I stood up once I had a bit on, because you can't really pull it tight while lying down. It worked pretty well. I still haven't had much luck with taping. I think I just need someone to help me though, because I can't pull hard enough.
crimson sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2006, 12:13 AM   #847
APandRB
Dracula called.

RB: I would think that laying down to bind would actually help (I never tried tapping sounds painful), I'll try it next time. I'm a C cup almost D and I can't completely hide my chest so I think posing helps alot, stick out your pelvis a little.
APandRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2006, 11:43 PM   #848
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I have taped while laying down, I find it helps me personally - and you can do funny yoga-breakdance-worm movements to get your back up off the floor long enough to get the tape around the back. I've done it. And I'm sure as many of my friends and roommates can attest to, it's the funniest thing they've ever seen me do.

Which is really saying something...

But it can be done. I like to use gravity in this way because I'm lopsided, and I personally feel that in order to get my oversized left side down to match the right, when taping for open-shirt cosplay, it helps. But I think if you're using tape for regular binding (if that is your preferred method) it may not make a difference.

Never underestimate the power of reaching down inside the ACE bandage/sports bra/whatever and shoving some flesh around until your cleavage is nice and securely flattened.

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
Unread 05-11-2006, 10:11 PM   #849
Rem Akimichi
Webcomiker & Costumer

Alright, so far the best meathod for me has been the tape (I haven't tried sports bra yet. I'm pretty big [45"], so it'd have to be a really tight one O.o). Getting flat with bandages means sacrificing breathing, but with the sports tape I managed to breath AND look as flat as I'll ever get.

However, I have this one big problem. I've got two crossplays coming up for AX. I know it hurts taking tape off no matter what, but so far every attempt with the sports tape has left me on the verge of tears. (which is saying something. I don't cry easily). Anyone have any advice on how to make taking it off a little less painful?

They have served me well.
Rem Akimichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2006, 11:16 PM   #850
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

i do it in the shower. Soak the tape first. Some have also suggested baby oil.

Unread 05-12-2006, 02:04 AM   #851
Chibi-kun
spam and rice! >D

lol, I second taping while laying down. I find it, that I get better results when doing open shirt binding and not having someone to help me, I'd lay down and tape myself. And I wear a B cup so I wouldnt really consider that small XD;;

@Rem - alot of people use shampoo, since it does eat away the stickyness as well as a mixture of a super hot shower. Come AX it gets pretty warm and I hate taking warm showers to burn my skin during summer. So I also use the shampoo method + soap XD and peel it quickly and I'll just sulk in my corner crying for awhile XDDD;; not exactly the best advice XDD;;

I've never taken any photos of me using the open binding method in all its completion since I'm always scared of dropping my camera on my dirty bathroom floor XD;; or walking out of the bathroom and have my parents see me in all my crossplaying glory XD
so I should attempt to do more trial runs while their not home o_<ll

Last edited by Chibi-kun : 05-12-2006 at 02:30 AM.
Chibi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2006, 10:47 AM   #852
Pantoffel

Hi Folks.
I've got some questions concerning the binding / taping tutorial, done by Asukas_Doll (http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread...=15709&page=51).
Do I have to ind the brest *up* with the first vertikal tape or not?
[If not, I've got to make this tape-stripe easy and don't pull it.. ?]
And she said, that this first stripe is not long enough, how long should it be?
Should it go down to my belly-button or up to my shoulders?

Are you all binding your breast up or down?
I've read that it's not healthy, if you bind it down because it may wet nder the breast and cause scars, am I right?

Thanks for answers
Pantoffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2006, 06:05 PM   #853
Chibi-kun
spam and rice! &amp;amp;amp;gt;D

I've become rather busy and lazy to update my site so I dont think the tutorials page is up but I have a very similar tutoria to Asukas_doll with photos and aslightly longer post on them.

opens shirt binding

When I bind while standing up, I do it from bottom up. But when I'm laying down, I do from top to bottom or bottom top, doesnt really matter as long as im flat XD;;

Unread 05-12-2006, 09:28 PM   #854
TransurrealisTristan
I'm a dude,got it?

Is binding really necessary,especially if I'm going as a guy and entering a costume contest?I'd like to,but my mom will probably oppose it... So,is binding my chest *REALLY* important or should I leave it as it is?

Looking for convention pictures?Hit up my DeviantArt to see if I got ya.
TransurrealisTristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2006, 10:11 PM   #855
Chibi-kun
spam and rice! &amp;amp;amp;gt;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACME-Rian
Is binding really necessary,especially if I'm going as a guy and entering a costume contest?I'd like to,but my mom will probably oppose it... So,is binding my chest *REALLY* important or should I leave it as it is?
Usually if your chest is small enough or if your costume is bulky enough to hide your gender you can pretty much get away with it. For the first time I wore Itachi out (during AX when it was a complete spur of the moment thing that I just jacked my brothers costume, I was unprepared and didnt bring any binding tools with me)but thankfully, the cloak was large enough to hide my gender and still managed to fool afew people. But I doubt its a complete necessity unless your really want to.