Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 264 votes, 4.97 average.
Unread 08-11-2003, 08:54 AM   #76
Sephiroth-chan
Miniature Sephiroth Clone

Chest binding IS a royal pain, sometimes. -_-. For my Sephiroth Costume, i had used the ankle wrap bandages about my chest. Well ,they kept slipping, so I bound the suckers tight and safety pinned them then use clear skin latex over a nude body top. BAD move. it discolors it a darker hue. Then again...it seemed well enough to look appealing.

Now for the big problem. While I was waiting for the Cosplay to organize and eventually START, I began to feel tightness..then suddenly PAIN. Try placing a about 5-7 Houston Area phone books on your chest and lay down. Yeah..THAT pain. Well, because of their disorganization, they were about an hour and a half late...and just my luck...we were one of the last to perform. The crew was nice enough to let me lie down behind stage until it was our turn, but I was determined to continue.

Well, we went through the battle skit (ouch). I must admit, acting out pain was easy...but regaining a pokerface was tough. But I felt something give...and what Candice (Cherry) warned me about with breaking ribs scared me. And then, Joy of joys, we had the awards. Which I couldn't wait to be over. I nearly went up to throttle to the winsome wench judge who prattled on and on about ANYTHING but what the people were here for. Finally, as they announced the last, I was out of there.

Bless your heart, Candice...I love you for helping me unwrap and checking to make sure nothing was broken.

oh, and the reason I found out WHY the wraps kept slipping....-_-...was I was too flat to have anything to HOLD the wraps on.

The moral of this story?

1. Be Careful when binding girls. Nothing hurts quite like slowly crushing your ribs
and
2.Treat the Medic Staff like Gods (or Goddesses). They are our saviours.

Sephiroth-chan

PS- Did anyone else find the corset scene from Pirates of the Caribbean as ironically amusing as I did?
Sephiroth-chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-12-2003, 12:34 AM   #77
Karasu
my tortured senses. . .

Quote:
By: Sephiroth-chan
Did anyone else find the corset scene from Pirates of the Caribbean as ironically amusing as I did?
I found it hilarious! "Clearly you've never been to Singapore." *laughs*

Last edited by Karasu : 08-12-2003 at 12:37 AM.
Karasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 01:02 AM   #78
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

I haven't seen the POTC movie. But, although I do not own one, I HAVE been fitted for a properly made corset.

They don't crush your ribs.
They DON'T hurt. (A properly fitted one won't!)
They do slim your waist down scarily. (I looked breakable in half. I'm scrawny to start with.)
They do impair breathing from the diaphragm - but not as much as a badly-fitted corset.
They do not let you bend from the waist.

Unless I absolutely NEED one for something (heaven forbid!), I shall not be buying one.
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 01:37 AM   #79
mochihead
All about the scarf, baby

*imagines Dilandau in lacy red & black corset*

O_O oh, my....
mochihead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 02:33 AM   #80
Karisu-sama
Board Moderator

HEY!!!! WHO told you that I got that darned thing fitted at Loscon last year; I WAS wearing my Dilandau costume at the time (coincidence! I swear!!), and that the corset really WAS Black and Red (with Chinese dragons on it)????? (No lace though, thank GOODNESS)....

Cost over $300 too. Another reason I didn't buy it.

Mochihead, you are either telepathic or you hire very good spies.

EDIT: It was a woman's corset though - I didn't try on a men's.
Unread 08-12-2003, 02:42 AM   #81
Beware_UY7
Reckless Youth

Sephiroth-chan... how did you manage to hurt yourself so badly? I mean... I have large breasts, and I don't feel very uncomfortable at all doing binding. Hm, all I can advice is just to breath propperly, when you inhale or exhale it shouldn't affect how tight bandages are wrapped. (Take one of those phonebooks, place it on your chest and breath. It shouldn't move. Actually, I practice with phonebooks... I have to lay down and put one on my stomach and breath and sing warm-ups every day, it makes it so I have greater control of my diaphram... wee.)

BTW: Candice (Cherry) who now lives in Northern California? *If so, I must go 'Ha! i know her!'*
Unread 08-12-2003, 02:50 AM   #82
Karisu-sama
Board Moderator

The trick is to know how tight is tight enough, and NEVER tighten too much below the breast (on the rib cage.) The wider the bandage, the less it tends to slip - (I use 6" ACE), but sad to say, ACE bandages WILL slip some, especially if you are "spare" on top like I am.

Sports bras and compression shirts don't slip (have shoulder straps), but for a visible chest skin costume I'd swear by that tape method (and I'd do it again if my significant other didn't have a gigantic problem with it. Tape = one day or so, living with him = forever.)
Unread 08-12-2003, 04:45 AM   #83
mochihead
All about the scarf, baby

Quote:
Originally posted by Karisu-sama
Mochihead, you are either telepathic or you hire very good spies.

*jumps up and down, shaking head*

Darn it Karisu-sama! Get out of my head! I knew I shoulda hired spies instead of doing this telepathy thingy.

OUCH! I'm glad that I don't have big boobs. When I bind, it doesn't hurt to breathe. YIKES!
mochihead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 04:50 AM   #84
Tainted Donut
My Spoons too big

ok. then.........
Tainted Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 04:51 AM   #85
Tainted Donut
My Spoons too big

ok..then.... im confo0sed on which one to use...my brain is going to fry DX
Tainted Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 07:08 AM   #86
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Originally posted by Karisu-sama
I haven't seen the POTC movie. But, although I do not own one, I HAVE been fitted for a properly made corset.
I have quite a few (used to do historical costuming) and that corset line bugged me, as did the whole fainting bit, because a *Georgian* corset does *not* compress the waist and constrict breathing in anywhere CLOSE to the way a Victorian corset does. It's designed to form the torso into an inverted cone, pull the shoulders back, push the breasts up and smooth out the line of the torso - not to dig into or place extreme emphasis on the waist.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 08:22 AM   #87
Sephiroth-chan
Miniature Sephiroth Clone

Quote:
Originally posted by Beware_UY7
Sephiroth-chan... how did you manage to hurt yourself so badly? .....
BTW: Candice (Cherry) who now lives in Northern California? *If so, I must go 'Ha! i know her!'*
As for Breast size...let's just say, I haven't even made it to the alphabet. Lol...I'm a lil person, and when I bound what little of a chest I had, I had to to it extra tight to keep the bandages from slipping. -_- Bad move. REAL bad move. Later on in the evening when I was getting more hot and needing to breath deeper, I felt the constriction...and on the stage performance I moved a lil too much. Lucky me, I got away with just bone bruises.

Yup, that's Candice Cherry. Jpop cosplay Angel herself. She always takes good care of me. ^_^

As for the topic of Corsets, I work at the Texas Rennaissance festival, have been for years and you should SEE the horror stories related to that. Broken ribs, asphyxiation, etc. Since I HAVE nothing to lift and tuck, and I really enjoy the hobby of free breathing, I usually wound up playing the assist in the games of "Cynch the Wynch." in the bathroom dressing area. Then again, sometimes the same happens with men and their armor. -_-

Karisu- I can't wait to try out your tape idea...it's so brillaint. I just wish I'd have known about it earlier, lol.
Unread 08-12-2003, 08:40 AM   #88
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Originally posted by Sephiroth-chan

As for the topic of Corsets, I work at the Texas Rennaissance festival, have been for years and you should SEE the horror stories related to that. Broken ribs, asphyxiation, etc. Since I HAVE nothing to lift and tuck, and I really enjoy the hobby of free breathing, I usually wound up playing the assist in the games of "Cynch the Wynch." in the bathroom dressing area. Then again, sometimes the same happens with men and their armor. -_-
Ugh. I think a lot of people just don't know how to wear them properly without injuring themselves - since most people don't wear corsets every day, it's real easy to overdo it.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 09:26 AM   #89
Gren
Gender Bender

Garrg. I just figiured you were lying down because that costume looked friggin hot. I didn't realize it was pain. >_o
Gren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2003, 05:43 AM   #90
Karisu-sama
Board Moderator

Sports Tape

Oh yeah; pic of my "secret weapon":
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sportstape.jpg (22.8 KB, 169 views)