Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 276 votes, 4.97 average.
Unread 08-14-2003, 10:15 PM   #91
katrinastrife

Karisu:

Thanks for the great info! I'm gonna have to try it out when I'm wearing the Kuja costume I plan to start working on soon! @_@ You rock!

Anyway... I was wondering about binding for a while before I checked out this thread...Now it all makes sense ^_^

Unread 08-18-2003, 10:39 AM   #92
Eliza
Hannin wa Rika-chan!

This is going to sound crazy (and I've poked around and not found the answer to this question, so I'm sorry if it's one of those questions that's been asked half a million times ^^; ), but if I, for example, wanted to crossplay in a costume without a shirt, is there a good way to tape/cover one's bare chest? While I realize it's probably going to look a little weird and fake, there must be a better way than to have an obvious wrap of bandages around my torso...

And if that doesn't work, I'm doing the backup plan--it's a Doujinshi version of the outfit, but he's wearing an open jacket over.

any suggestions are appreciated ^^ (I know that must sound so strange)
Eliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2003, 08:37 PM   #93
LiL QoH
Queen of Hentai

I suffer from big boob syndrome.. this will help a LOT thank you!
LiL QoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 07:41 AM   #94
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

Hmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza
This is going to sound crazy (and I've poked around and not found the answer to this question, so I'm sorry if it's one of those questions that's been asked half a million times ^^; ), but if I, for example, wanted to crossplay in a costume without a shirt, is there a good way to tape/cover one's bare chest? While I realize it's probably going to look a little weird and fake, there must be a better way than to have an obvious wrap of bandages around my torso...

And if that doesn't work, I'm doing the backup plan--it's a Doujinshi version of the outfit, but he's wearing an open jacket over.

any suggestions are appreciated ^^ (I know that must sound so strange)
I have a working solution for an open-front costume ("guaranteed" for B-cup or less) which is the very first thing I addressed when I created this thread (there's a TMI of nitty-gritty details on a later page too), but as for cosplaying a totally topless guy, I'm rather at a loss. Sports tape works wonders for a bare front look, but you need to be wearing at least a vest for that method.

I honestly don't know how you'd do a guy with no top at all, and not have some sort of binding, or coverage of binding, showing. I could possibly imagine latex in some sort of back & front arrangement to cover binding (a major pro job), or a well-painted bodysuit over binding (easier to do - and I've seen that sort of thing - a friend of mine once costumed as a male stone gargoyle; it was incredible. You'd never know she was a women.)

However, it will also draw some pretty major stares if you are recognizable as a girl (my friend had a mask) and have visible nipples, even if they are fake. (Wonder if hotel security would pitch fits?) Also, wearing at least a vest allows you to be creative with the designing the top to make more of a wider-shoulders narrower-waist "guy look". Me, I'd go with the "backup plan" - but of course your mileage may vary. ~_^
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 08:51 AM   #95
Sephiroth-chan
Miniature Sephiroth Clone

If you go to a dance store, they have the nude colored bodysuit tops. Skin tight. With a lil theatrical 'fake skin'...ok, maybe more than a lil...you can cover it and it will adhere and blend to your flesh. If you follow Karisu-sama's suggestions with the tape and the top it sohuld work fine for you. I did that this year for my Sephiroth costume except with the bandages under. I made the mistake of accidentally using CLEAR liquid latex. Not bright.

Anyhow that would allow you to go bare topped without baring all.
Unread 08-19-2003, 09:32 AM   #96
Eliza
Hannin wa Rika-chan!

Thank you!! ^.^ I'll try it! Sounds like I might be able to pull it off.

Not sure if I'll be obviously female. This technique is for the swimsuit version of a character I cosplayed earlier (chaos from Xenosaga) and a couple of people seemed to think I was a guy in it (before they heard my voice, of course ^^). He's a verrrry skinny guy so I don't think the shoulders will be much of a problem.

I've been thinking about the nipple thing... bare chests look funny without 'em, but yeah, people might be weirded out by a girl in fake ones. ^^

I wanted to at least try to do the real version though, before taking the little doujinshi jacket. Thanks for all the suggestions ^^
Eliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 03:16 PM   #97
ACXchan
I sink you now!

Hum... I don't know if this suggestion has been made yet but I experimented with something new this year at AX'03. Instead of using duct and sports tape, I used one of those sporty back brace support things ^ ^;; A friend of mine brought it from her house, it was her mother's. It worked really well for me and it wasn't as harmful to my breasts as tape usually is because the brace itself is one wide compressing strip. It toned me down from a C cup to a flattened AA or something. You can wear it with the padded side against your chest or the elastic side against your chest. It never slipped nor was it any more uncomfortable than tape ^ ^

On the subject of tape though! I found it more comfortable taking a deep breath to widen your chest cavity a bit and holding that breath while binding with duct tape or sports tape to give yourself a little freedom without sacrificing the look of a flat chest. That way you know the tape isn't so tight that you can't take a deeper breath if needed.

I love bodices and corsets, wear them to the local Ren Faire and Dickens Fair XD
ACXchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2003, 12:40 AM   #98
Karisu-sama
Board Moderator

Lets PING this thread back to where it can be accessed....
Unread 09-26-2003, 08:47 PM   #99
Cait

I second the 'misuse' of pieces meant to restrain other things. I've noticed my underbust 'corset' or, as they're called now, body slimmer (which looks either like a corset with bra hooks instead of laces or giant rubberbands made in the size of a torso and out of a stretch subtance similar to ace bandages) works wonders for flattening my tiny chest. All I have to do is bump up the underbust body slimmer a few inches and I have a painless, skincolored, flat surface. I actually got the idea from a show I saw about a woman getting a sex change and she used one of the body slimmers meant to accentuate your waist to hide her chest until she could afford a *cough* removal and was passing off well as a man in the mean time.

^_^'''''''' I like to cheat.

Last edited by Cait : 09-26-2003 at 08:49 PM.
Cait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2003, 10:16 PM   #100
BIOJECT
Long Pointy Elf Ears! Mmm

Skin coming off? That makes no sense

I don't get it. How do you lose skin? Are womans breasts that soft where skin will randomly peel off?
Unread 09-26-2003, 10:28 PM   #101
Karisu-sama
Board Moderator

Cait: I've never seen those in stores. Do you know of an online source?

Bioject: if you must know, the skin on the underside of women's breast is its thinnest and tenderest area, and supposedly "skin-friendly" tape, which in other areas (ie: nipples), will peel off reasonably well, may actually take off SKIN when it's peeled off the underside of the breast.
Unread 09-26-2003, 11:00 PM   #102
Hitori
Tra la la

I haven't actually read all this thread, it's so long>.< I posted what I do in warumono's thread, but in regards to peeling skin off, I actually use circles of fabric under the tape (masking tape I use) and so when I take it off there's no skin loss^_^
Unread 09-26-2003, 11:02 PM   #103
Karisu-sama
Board Moderator

Hitori: I was talking about tape that was SUPPOSED to adhere to that area in order to shift the breast location higher, not just flatten it.
Unread 09-26-2003, 11:10 PM   #104
Hitori
Tra la la

Oh... mi bad, so embarressing>.<
eh heh, well if anyone was wondering then. Yeah...
Unread 09-26-2003, 11:41 PM   #105
Cait

Fleexes Body Slimmer

Fleexes Waist Nipper

I ran into the problem of my full skirts creating a line under my Marlene overdress, and I knew there had to be a solution. I know you wouldn't have seen them, not watching much TV, but these things have been being advertized on TV as the instant solution to those hard to smooth out love handles and such. The ones I linked to are the variety that have the bra hooks, but if you go to just about any department store and look around the lingere section you'll see a rack of them in different legnths, sizes, colors, and styles. Mine is almost exactly like the ones I posted, but is of a different brand. It has boning in it, so it doesn't lay as flat on my waist when I move it up, but I'd be willing to bet there wouldn't be as much of a problem with the other variety. To tell the truth, though, the flaired bottom was easily tucked into the pants I was wearing and, though the outfit wasn't very tight fitting, couldn't be seen. I've just started exploring this option, though, so I haven't really investigated throughly yet.
Cait is offline   Reply With Quote