Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 246 votes, 4.96 average.
Unread 10-20-2003, 10:24 AM   #121
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

I haven't had any problems with change in balance at all, but I'm barely a B. I tend to walk with straight posture anyway, especially when I am at a con and "on alert", as it were.

(Not only do I have to be aware of my costume (not just how I look in it, but whether or not might get damaged or is getting in people's way), I have to watch my stuff, watch out for other people's costumes, watch out for photo ops, watch out for & prevent unexpected assault attempts (ie: flying tackle-glomp) and keep track of my kidlets. )
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2003, 05:47 PM   #122
Asukas~Doll
Trust me.

LOL flying tackle glomps are the worst when you're not expecting it. Especially if the person knocks you down and lands ontop of you... *has forgotten and is now thinking of her experiences*

Oh sorry! Anywho, would the 1 1/2" wide sports tape thingy be wide enough? I'm only a mid-B anyway, and not very big anyway, but I don't want to be like a mummy-reject ^.^;;
Asukas~Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2003, 06:40 PM   #123
Karisu-sama
Board Moderator

That's the sports tape I use (1.5" white cloth), and I put makeup on over the visible parts so it does not give a "mummy" look. (The edges of the tape are not terribly visibly prominent anyway.)

But I'd only use tape for the "only skin down the front" look - if I'm binding all the way around, I will not use anything that sticks to my skin (so it will be ACE bandage, or "waist-slimming" girdle pulled up over the chest, or compression shirt, or very tight sports bra, or combo of such.)
Unread 10-21-2003, 11:32 PM   #124
Asukas~Doll
Trust me.

Oh really? Cool! ^.^ Yeah, the crossplay I'm going to do has a shirt that's slightly open in the front so your taping method seems to be the best choice.

Oh and before I forget. I bow down to your Dilandau man-chest! *bows*
Asukas~Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2003, 08:02 PM   #125
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Finally read through the tips out of curiosity, and man, am I inspired! I was thinking "eh, I'm a 36A, my tight sports bra is enough," but after seeing the unchest, I recant! Great tips, Karisu, I'm going to use them for my Hiei costumes from now on. Especially if I want to do a little battle-damage to that black sleeveless shirt of his...

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2003, 08:50 PM   #126
Savior_Faire
OBJECTION!

Karisu-sama, you were talking about the compression shirts before and how it made you look like you had pecs. I'm a 42 D (goddess help me), do you know of any good shirts I can order that will squish me down to a convincing manly chest? I finally got my mom to say yes to ordering one for me ^.^

and don't worry about me handling the squishing; I sleep flat on my stomach on a hard mattress every night and I don't even notice. ^.~

Next Con: NYAF
Vampire Hunter D (Amano Artwork Collab): 90%
Savior_Faire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2003, 01:34 AM   #127
Karisu-sama
Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savior_Faire
Karisu-sama, you were talking about the compression shirts before and how it made you look like you had pecs. I'm a 42 D (goddess help me), do you know of any good shirts I can order that will squish me down to a convincing manly chest?
Whoa. Goddess done blessed you, girl. Hmmm... the compression shirt flattened things very uniformly - even on my daughter, who is probably a 32C at this point. I wasn't sure on the sizing, so I ordered 2 - turns out the Small fits me (35B-ish), and it's just about too hard for me to get into the XS (I'd need help), so that one is now officially my daughter's...

The back of the shirt is a single panel, and the front is a double panel - both elastic, but a bit hard to stretch (which makes it try hard to get back to its original shape, which makes it compress so well.) They're long in the torso, so I sometimes fold the bottom of that shirt up and over my chest as well, making another flattening layer.

While they compress well, they also fit really snug (if they fit, they should be snug!) and it can be a bit of an effort to put on (but it CAN be done! Just try to pull it on while it's straight, not rolled up!)

If your "blessings" resist the compression panel too much, I'm willing to bet a second compression shirt on top would help, but you might try the fold-up of the shirt bottom first - that might be enough. It's also possible to combine this with other methods listed. And probably adjust things outward so cleavage isn't major - although the compression shirts go right up to the neck, so it won't really show, I suppose.

The stupid things come in white only (or at least from that website I linked in the first post), so I dyed ours "flesh-tone" with a mix of salmon & ecru acid dyes (what one needs to dye nylon.) Whoo-hoo. I found out the hard way that I DO need to THOROUGHLY mix the dye first - I've got some blotches. I'll need to get a new shirt to dye if I wear something where it shows.

Good luck! ^____^

Last edited by Karisu-sama : 10-25-2003 at 01:39 AM.
Unread 10-25-2003, 10:07 AM   #128
Fault
Funtastic

Karisu-sama, it seems you have perfected a technique that I had only dreamed of. I too bow down to your Dilandau chestlessness.

As I am a 34DD attempting the 'man cleavage' technique, I will keep all posted as to how it looks and whether it works. I am expecting that I won't be chestless, but I am hoping that I will attain 'pecs', which would fit very well in the costume, since I am attempting an Iori crossplay.

On the topic of crossplay and Iori, does anyone have any similarly l33t techniques for reducing hips/bottom and enhancing shoulders? I will trawl this forum for tips, but, you know, easy information access is a blessing.
Fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2003, 02:53 PM   #129
Lolita Goth
Kaoru is MYNE!!

I think I'm cursed when it comes to cosplaying j - rock >.< I got a D cup well 36D >.< and I wanna do another Kaoru outfit from Dir en grey (my damn chest is too big) umm any suggestion on what to use?? >.< I really need help..
Lolita Goth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2003, 09:44 PM   #130
chai_fiend
hopelessly asleep

ok i dont see the point in binding at all. maybe its cuz like Lolita Goth, i'm a D-cup too and the thought of mashing that much flesh to my chest doesn't appeal to me. (isnt that why women find mammograms uncomfy). first of all, if you're crossplaying someone well, it shouldn't matter whether or not we can see the tits. also, breasts are beautiful. so i say NO to binding and encourage others to join me in this protest.
chai_fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2003, 10:45 PM   #131
Fault
Funtastic

Not bind? Good for some, but not for me.

I like to go for as much accuracy as possibly when cosplaying. I tend to pick characters with a similar body type to me, and to obsess of design details, including things like whether Auron's coat should be made of linen or wool. So when it comes to my attempt at Iori, I take heed of the fact that the fabric of his shirt bunches just so at his waist/hips, and extends to point X on his legs etc etc.. So when it comes down to that sort of detail, it only makes sense to bind as well to continue the level of accuracy.

As for my trial of the man cleavage method:

I tried using a combination of paper and fabric sports tape that was around the house, unfortunately only 1" wide. However, using it I was able to reduce my cleavage to 1" deep, and considerably flatten the curves. I believe it will be adequate for my costume, even though it isn't quite the 'pecs' look I was hoping for.

I have some interesting notes:
-it's difficult to keep myself even on both sides
-it is very comfortable, it's like a bra only it doesn't let me bounce. Perfect for DDRing.
-it's so comfy that I took it off in the morning (the tape was sticky enough to need a shower removal and 2am showers are loud)
-I had the full range of movement in my arms and torso with minimal discomfort. The only thing was it tight enough across the back to help me keep a straight posture.
-I had absolutely no balance problems, though I didn't do anything like a handstand or try to sprint.
Just in case I wasn't clear, breathing problems weren't an issue whatsoever.

It would've taken me several attempts to get it that good without Karisu-sama's advice, so I thank you once more Karisu-sama for your leet techniques.
Fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2003, 01:09 AM   #132
Lolita Goth
Kaoru is MYNE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chai_fiend
ok i dont see the point in binding at all. maybe its cuz like Lolita Goth, i'm a D-cup too and the thought of mashing that much flesh to my chest doesn't appeal to me. (isnt that why women find mammograms uncomfy). first of all, if you're crossplaying someone well, it shouldn't matter whether or not we can see the tits. also, breasts are beautiful. so i say NO to binding and encourage others to join me in this protest.

well i like my breasts nothing wrong with it but not when it comes to cosplaying j rock and especially skinny men >.< its hell, like i was doing a costume of kaoru from dir en grey and my breats just stuck out and it ruined the whole effect of the costume and just gave it a diff ugly look to it, so i prefer to do something bout it, but if its just any kinda lolita j rock outfit then ill just leave it like that but if its for cosplaying any j rocker in specific i prefer to get it binded somehow
Lolita Goth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2003, 02:29 AM   #133
Suzushichan
outta here

anybody got advice for a chick crossplayin' as Sephiroth? -_-'
Unread 10-26-2003, 11:23 AM   #134
Savior_Faire
OBJECTION!

I don't mind my boobs much either... save for the fact that I hace back problems because of them >.< There just comes a time when they're just too much, especially on a girl like me only being 5'3" (barely). Also, by aiming for these characters, I'm losing the weight that I need to lose (I'm also overweight). So the crossplaying thing is actually doing my body good! XD

Anywho, thanks Karisu-sama! So I would probably try... a medium shirt?

Next Con: NYAF
Vampire Hunter D (Amano Artwork Collab): 90%

Last edited by Savior_Faire : 10-26-2003 at 11:28 AM.
Savior_Faire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2003, 12:17 PM   #135
mad_hisoka

Ano... i'm kinda new here but i just wanna ask a question... i heard that boobies tend to grow bigger after binding.. is that true?? coz i'm a b cup and i dun exactly want my them to increase in size..
mad_hisoka is offline   Reply With Quote