Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 240 votes, 4.96 average.
Unread 09-28-2007, 01:18 AM   #1471
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

Another thought... You could make a shirt or tube top out of stretchy, flesh-colored fabric and wear it over whatever you use to bind. You'd still get the depth and shadow effect of skin showing through the hole in the back of the shirt, but your binding materials would be concealed under the flesh-colored fabric.

Let us know how it comes out.

www.AndSewingIsHalfTheBattle.com
いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい
"Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it." Maimonides
AVAAntares is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-28-2007, 10:29 AM   #1472
Clive-kun
Secretly a supervillain

Hi guys! Since it's kinda hard to look through every one of the thousands of posts, I figure I might as well post a new one...

The cosplay I'm working on is an Atlantica version of Demyx from Kingdom Hearts 2 (it's an original cosplay but i'm using http://temporary-glitch.deviantart.c...turne-47137109 as a reference) I've already figured out that the top is going to be a bodysuit/leotard sort of thing. I wanted to ask: what kind of biding would you guys suggest?? I was afraid that a compression shirt would have the lines so...>.> any suggestions?? (If you need it, I'm a size 32A)
Clive-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2007, 02:29 PM   #1473
tybear009
The Comic Book Girl

For one of my costumes I had an issue where anything I wore underneath, (sports bra, girdle, etc) would completely show through because of the seams. Ace bandaging and tape saved my life but I've never been that uncomfortable before.

Because I have EXTREMELY sensitive skin I highly suggest using a reside remover or something to ease the glue off when you take off the tape. It can hurt pretty bad, so be careful with the assets, girls!
tybear009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2007, 02:32 PM   #1474
tybear009
The Comic Book Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive-kun View Post
Hi ... 32A)
Since you're an A cup, have you tried the leotard on and seen if it flattens you out a bit? When I used to be a gymnast my girls would go a bit more flat when I slipped on my leotard. The elastic should work in your favor here.
tybear009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2007, 03:35 PM   #1475
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

Quote:
The cosplay I'm working on is an Atlantica version of Demyx from Kingdom Hearts 2 (it's an original cosplay but i'm using http://temporary-glitch.deviantart.c...turne-47137109 as a reference) I've already figured out that the top is going to be a bodysuit/leotard sort of thing. I wanted to ask: what kind of biding would you guys suggest?? I was afraid that a compression shirt would have the lines so...>.> any suggestions?? (If you need it, I'm a size 32A)
For a 32A, I think a compression shirt or breast binder would be overkill; they're designed for major squishing, and you don't want that much pressure on your ribs. ^_^ A couple of suggestions come to mind for your costume:

First, wear two layers. See if you can find (or make) another Lycra or Spandex bodysuit that has a similar cut to the one you're wearing on the outside, so the seam lines won't show underneath. The double layer of stretchy fabric may be enough to hold you in (though you'll probably want to use Breast Petals or soft paper tape to cover the nipples, so they don't show through).

If that doesn't produce the results you want, you might try taping from the center over to the sides, under the armpits. Since you're more petite, you shouldn't have to wrap the tape all the way around the body to hold everything in place, which means a) you won't have any restricted mobility or breathing, and b) the tape won't show across the back. The double-layer bodysuit should smooth out the edges of the tape so they aren't really noticeable.

A note on taping: On more sensitive areas, use a low-adhesive paper medical tape directly on the skin, and put your sports tape over that. It will make it easier and less painful to remove. You can also use baby oil to loosen the tape before you peel it off.

Another option, failing the above, is to build musculature into your bodysuit so you have defined pecs and abs, which will hide your body's natural curvature. You can accomplish some of this visually by painting (airbrushing) the bodysuit, or you can sew foam or thick fabric into the suit to give it shape. That's a bit more work, though. ^_^

Good luck!

"Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it." Maimonides
Unread 09-29-2007, 09:21 AM   #1476
SaiyanSerenityV
Why do you feel nothing?

Quote:
Hi guys! Since it's kinda hard to look through every one of the thousands of posts, I figure I might as well post a new one...
I just wanted to say that your Roxel cosplay just made my day. <333

The Epic of Zektbach - Hannes - 40% done
Mother 3 - Hinawa - DONE!
Gurren Lagann - Yomako Sensei - DONE!.
Baccano! - Nice Holystone - DONE!

Swans singing, before they die;
Their songs resound throughout the sky,
And I drop a rose petal
Down a sea of blood and tears...
SaiyanSerenityV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 11:54 AM   #1477
Clive-kun
Secretly a supervillain

Thanks so much guys ^.^ We're going shopping for stuff this weekend, so I'll be sure to keep it all in mind (I think we're going to get supplies and THEN the body suits so we can try to see which ones fit best with what...>.> ^.^ Thanks again!!!!
Clive-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 10:54 PM   #1478
battybrawni
Dangerously Cheesy

Hi There! I'm kinda new here, but have a bit of a tip here. I've got some pretty big girls and tried to do the ace bandages for my Prince Ali costume but they kept popping out inbetween. I needed a much more substantial binder. I decided to make a non stretch leotard that closed with a zipper. The flattening was perfect even for my Ds (whatever wasn't flattened didn't show from the taughtness in the piece vertically)and the lower half of the undergarment got rid of my waist and girl butt. though I would probably put stretch fabric between the legs as my try at it was quite the perma-wedgie. I hope that helps some of you.
battybrawni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #1479
sailorgallifrey

My attention span was going to run out long before I read through all of this thread, so I figured I would just ask my question here instead of hunting for it. Yeah yeah, I know, I'm lazy.

Next March I'm going to be cosplaying Zoisite from Sailor Moon. As I'm cosplaying Zoisite instead of Zoycite (aka- the dub version X__x; who was a chick randomly) I will be in need of binding meself down.

I'm a big girl (36/38 D, if you need to know), so what would be the easiest, cheapest way to bind me down? I don't care about breathing, but I am rather poor XD;;
Unread 10-03-2007, 10:44 PM   #1480
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_chan View Post
I'm a big girl (36/38 D, if you need to know), so what would be the easiest, cheapest way to bind me down? I don't care about breathing, but I am rather poor XD;;
You should definitely care about breathing, as well as other things. I know one girl who broke a rib binding herself down too tightly, and another who bruised herself very badly.

If a commercial breast binder or compression shirt is out of the question (they start around $30), you might try the back brace/waist slimmer method ($15-$20). Given your size, I'd be cautious with any sort of wraps or bandaging. If you decide to ACE bandage yourself for some reason, make sure you leave plenty of breathing/flexing room.

For future reference, you can use the Search feature (in the upper right corner) to find what you're looking for. You don't have to read through all 100+ pages. ^_^

Unread 10-03-2007, 11:20 PM   #1481
D001
D

With the taping method, what is it that causes blisters? Is it the stretching of the skin? The sweating under the tape? Is it the adheasive and the blisters don't actually form until you take the tape off?

I did get blisters during the convention weekend I used this method. Overall, I was extremely happy with the method, however, by Sunday, I couldn't bind as much because of blisters that had formed. If they don't form until the tape comes off, then I can do the method again, and then take the tape off in the shower. But even the bandaids I used to protect the wounds ended up giving me blisters, so I had triple the wounds >_<

If the blisters form during the wearing of the tape, then I'll have to find another method, as it seems that there's nothing I can do. (especially since showering was hellish for those first couple of days, since omg it burned it BURNED *weeps*)

Any info on this? Any tips or advice on how to prevent it?
D001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2007, 11:51 PM   #1482
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

I think there are multiple kinds of injuries stemming from various causes. -_- Some blisters form from the skin getting pinched where there are wrinkles in the tape, or where the skin gets stretched or puckered under the tape. You can also have bruises or blood blisters from the pressure of layers of tape or wrinkles digging into your skin. Skin can also peel or tear off with the adhesive, which (especially after multiple days of taping) exposes raw, tender skin that will blister or bruise more easily.

As far as I know, the best way to prevent blistering is to make sure that there are NO wrinkles in the tape, and that your skin does not pull or pucker anywhere.

If the tape isn't wrinkled and you're still getting blisters, you might want to look for an alternate method.

Unread 10-04-2007, 01:19 AM   #1483
AnimeLore
Timey-wimey stuff

So I like my compression vest, but it doesn't get me as flat as I was hoping it would. I'm a 38C and I use this compression vest. At the moment, however, I'm looking for a new one because, like i said, mine doesn't work as well as I'd hoped, and it's also gotten a bit stretched out due to the amount I've been using it.

I'm looking at this vest at the moment because it seems to be the sturdiest and sturdy vests mean flatter (from my experience).

Anyway, what do you guys think? Anyone bought this vest before? I know it's a surgical vest, but I figure someone might have tried it out at some point. So should I go with that one or does anyone recommend another one by either that company or another one?

Thanks in advance!!

Dragon*Con 2012: Samwise Gamgee (Lord of the Rings), Bilbo Baggins (The Hobbit), John Watson (Sherlock), Peeta (The Hunger Games), Prince Ferdinand (Snow White), Peter Pan (Disney's Peter Pan), Colin Creevy (Harry Potter), Peter Pettigrew (Harry Potter), Bobby Singer (Supernatural)
AnimeLore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2007, 03:09 AM   #1484
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeLore View Post
Anyway, what do you guys think? Anyone bought this vest before? I know it's a surgical vest, but I figure someone might have tried it out at some point. So should I go with that one or does anyone recommend another one by either that company or another one?
Hmm... my only question on the surgical vest would be, exactly *how* adjustable is it? I've never used anything from that company, so I don't know how stretchy the fabric is.

If you look at post #1456 (back one page), you can see photos of my T-Kingdom binder, which has a 6" Velcro adjustable tab across the left side. The style I bought has pros and cons, but the same site (www.t-kingdom.com) has different models with the same Velcro system. I don't know how it compares to the ones you've had, but it might be something else to look at.

If you do end up getting the vest, you might post photos or a review for other cosplayers. Good luck!

Unread 10-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #1485
FaithInDeidara
Servant of Evil

hm, not a bad idea,Lore. if its a surgical vest, the chances are that itll get you fairly flat, and it should be comfortable, too.
ill have to look into this as well.
if you love KYO KARA MAOH, then sign the petition in my journal on DA so we can have a fourth season!!!!
FaithInDeidara is offline   Reply With Quote