Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.
Unread 07-08-2003, 03:39 PM   #1
avaleon

Techniques to make a male face appear more feminine

Here's a question for ya. What techniques do you use to make yourself look passable? I would love to crossplay but my perfectionist streak won't allow me to because I know that I wouldn't look good. Any suggestions?
avaleon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2003, 04:42 PM   #2
odango-mango

make sure you face is nice and clean shaven, pick up some concealer apply even coverage, finish with some light powder. Apply any other make-up you wish to use to enhance your face, eyes, lips etc.
Perhaps have your eyebrows waxed or plucked to make them more delicate and fine.
just some ideas
odango-mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2003, 06:57 PM   #3
tinechan
me ni mienai

Look at magazines, more of to the girl's tastes.

Cosmopolition.
Seventeen.
Duh... some kind of modeling magazine.
YM.

There's bunches of girls there! And they have some more feminime-istic make up needs and helpful hints. Also, if you don't want to actually do your own brows, like Odango said, you could go to the barbershop or a hairdresser. They may frown at cha, but they won't ask impudent questions. (Hopefully not ^^; )

~Tine
tinechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2003, 09:31 AM   #4
Karalora

I would also point out the importance of expression. It's a little harder to explain or quantify than makeup tips, but practicing feminine expressions and mannerisms can work wonders.
Unread 07-17-2003, 11:21 PM   #5
Hibiki-chan
Satsuki in the making

How I actually am handling my "male face" transformation is by asking two open minded women to do a make over on me so that you can have a fresh opinion of the issue. There are some cases that staring at your face and going gung ho isn't the best way to handle it... Also, take in consideration the wig that you're using for the costume since it will either expose or hide certain portions of your face. How "youthful" your face looks also makes it easier (imo) to transform your face into a more feminine version of it.

As much as possible though, shop with your girl buddies (don't be embarassed -- since you got a friend with you they won't think of asking otherwise) for cosmetics... you DO NOT need to spend over $60 on makeup! Going to a SavOn or a Rite Aid for cosmetics works too as you won't be spending a fortune on tons of stuff you probably will be using either once or twice depending on who you're playing.

Afterwards, have them apply the makeup on you. Now, if you or your friend has a digital camera, have them take a picture of it after you're satisfied with the results, go home, then try reapplying the makeup as shown on the photo. Reason why I said two people is because two people have different perceptions of how "feminine" a guy's face can be. Perhaps you can mix and match how they apply things on your face?

Well, that's that...

Last edited by Hibiki-chan : 07-17-2003 at 11:30 PM.
Hibiki-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2003, 01:44 PM   #6
Kitten
U+K Kitten

I'd go heavy on the mascara and eye makeup if I were you, but it really depends on who you're going as... XD
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2003, 02:18 AM   #7
LuckInSpades

Avaleon - In addition to what everyone has mentioned already, if you had a clean, head-on shot of yourself, I could give you additional tips on enhancing the more delicate features of your face, and ways to mute the more masculine. However, I warn you, the tips will probably require a bit more makeup than you may have originally intentioned.

Go ahead and give me a PM if you are interested.
LuckInSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2003, 05:47 PM   #8
Beware_UY7
Reckless Youth

Making a face look more feminine can be really easy, with makeup applied properly-

Make sure you even out your complextion first, with concealer and the such. Use some blush, girls have WAY more of a natural flush then men. Don't apply blush to the cheekbones though, it should go right on the apple of the cheek. You'll also need pinker lips (I would suggest a pinkish tinted lip gloss/balm)

Someone mentioned eyebrows, well, girls of course have thinner eyebrows, but the biggest differences between men's and women's eyebrows are that women's eyebrows are higher and have more of an arch. (Thick eyebrows can be feminine- they just need the right shape)

And make sure you never use TOO MUCH MAKE-UP, or else you'll look like a second rate DQ.
Beware_UY7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2003, 01:44 PM   #9
Hibiki-chan
Satsuki in the making

Actually, are there any online reference sites where I can refer to in regards to this?

My "tools" are:

Lip gloss
Concealer
Lip liner
Blush
Liquid Powder
Liquid Eyeliner

I know you apply the concealer to even out the dark areas then you apply liquid powder ontop of it. Then you have to highlight the apples of your cheek with blush. My friend suggested to apply the liquid eyeliner just right where the edge of my eyelids are and kinda lead out outward a little bit away from the eyes.

Any more words of wisdom, ladies & gents ?
Unread 07-31-2003, 02:55 PM   #10
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Pick up Kevyn Aucoin's makeup books, "Face Forward" and "Making Faces." They are the best makeup books out there, plus he shows several examples of male-to-female (and vice-versa) faces.
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2003, 04:38 PM   #11
Mizuno Tenshi
Shiawase wa itsumo.

I just got some of Aucoin's books out of the library. WOW!!!! GET THEM!!!

Tenshi

"Normal is for those who can't do any better." - Me
Mizuno Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2003, 06:39 PM   #12
crayolaboi

I think its all about the eyes, big pretty eyelashes, eyeliner. It would be cool if you lacked the braod jaw line. It would make things easier
crayolaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2003, 07:39 PM   #13
Skullez
BOO !!

pluck yur eyebrows !! i swear that works so well !!
my brother let me do it to him and i swear he looks like my long lost triplit ! * i have a twin*

realyl pluck the eyebrows ..it will be apintful for the first time but it works so well !!
and alos triming long eye brow hairs and maken them apear thiner.

thats all i can think of becides eye makeup, lipstick and a good wig.

Site of art and cosplay.

http://www.heisestudios.com
Skullez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 10:20 PM   #14
Hibiki-chan
Satsuki in the making

Okay, first of all I'm revisiting this thread because I really want to pull this off properly - and now that I have a pic of what the end product of my friend's "help" with the makeup, I can ask some more suggestions as to how to improve the look.

I would pick up Aucoin's books but I'm kind of in a financial bind right now. ^_^;;;;;;; (no job)

The link to a pic of me with the make up on (ixnay the lip liner and the gloss) is...

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto....=486 5&page=1
Unread 09-10-2003, 03:08 AM   #15
DarkindDreamer

well you've got a great foundation for everything... you just need to apply shadows and highlights.. something Aucoin doesn't cover to much ni the books (although i love them and have both)so add to your list of tools a good shadow (a bronzer pretty much), and a light powder, white works( but pink theatrical powder works best)

use the light powder where light would naturally hit your face.. top of cheeks under your eyes up into your hairline.. not straight out, but follow the natural line from your nose to your outter eye outward.

use the shadow following that same line that your created from the light powder upward to your timples.. and fade back into your hairline and around the rest of your upper head.. this will create the more female contoured face.
also use it from your ears fading out towards your lips following the shape of your natural cheek bones..

once done.. blend everything out so you don't look so painted..

if you don't quite get it i can send a photo.. and some drawings for ya.