Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 08-18-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
Donfoxy
Is restarting her gallery

Dulling down a wig color

Hi hi~! Okay story goes I was debating on what color wig to get for my C.C. cosplay http://code-geass.bandai-ent.com/cha...es/cc_COMP.gif
I was going to go ahead with the Ivy wig in Moss Green but upon seeing it in person my friend said I should go with a more lime green. So I bought the Ivy in lime green (love it~!) but I'm kinda thinking the color may be too intense.

I was wondering if there were any methods of toning the color down alittle to a moss green. I heard about using grey sharpies so with the hair I had left over from cutting the bangs I tested out the grey. It turn out a sorta of emerald green I don't want it too dark like that :/ so are there any other ways to accomplish this color.

Or should I just leave it alone the color will work fine?

Donfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
Ashbrie
SUDDENLY MIRACLE TRAIN!

Well...Moss Green is green with a little bit of brown wig fiber in it. You could try sewing in some brown wefts? I don't know, that might just look odd though, because I think the green fiber in the Moss Green wigs is technically lighter than a lime green wig would be.

I would have just gone with the Moss Green wig in the first place...but perhaps I am biased because I am madly in love with my Moss Green C.C. wig XD;; hahaha.
Unread 08-18-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
Donfoxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEdibleSeed View Post
Well...Moss Green is green with a little bit of brown wig fiber in it. You could try sewing in some brown wefts? I don't know, that might just look odd though, because I think the green fiber in the Moss Green wigs is technically lighter than a lime green wig would be.

I would have just gone with the Moss Green wig in the first place...but perhaps I am biased because I am madly in love with my Moss Green C.C. wig XD;; hahaha.
It was your moss green c.c. that I loved XD totally should have went with it (regret) maybe I'll try testing brown sharpie but that sounds like it would only go darker too. I'll test anyways.
Unread 08-18-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
Lothlin

No. I wouldn't do that XD. brown sharpie is just going to.. brown it up

Could you post a picture of the ivy? I haven't seen one in lime green.
Lothlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
Ashbrie
SUDDENLY MIRACLE TRAIN!

When you did the gray sharpie, did you trying a bit of rubbing alcohol on it afterwards?

I don't know how the gray would look, but I would think if you did that with the brown, it would, at least, be a bit lighter...or so my experiences using a dark blue sharpie to make a light blue on a white wig tell me lol.

Might end up still being too dark since it's color over color though. My sharpie-color experience is limited, unfortunatly.
Unread 08-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
Lothlin

A blue sharpie makes a white wig light blue because the white wig doesn't have any color to screw with it. Wig dyes are transluscent, so if you're drying to do weird things with weird colors, you'll screw things up. Honestly, I think a gray or brown sharpie would just muddy up the wig in an undesired way.
Unread 08-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #7
Ashbrie
SUDDENLY MIRACLE TRAIN!

Ahh, I had a feeling. Thanks for the clarification!

The only other thing that comes to mind is maybe adding wefts of a different green tone into the wig. I'm doing that to a jade greeen wig with mint green wefts to just give it a hiiiiiint of lighter color.

I wouldn't know how to go about toning a bright wig down that way, though. Sorry, not very helpful ^^;;
Unread 08-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #8
Donfoxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlin View Post
No. I wouldn't do that XD. brown sharpie is just going to.. brown it up

Could you post a picture of the ivy? I haven't seen one in lime green.
I guess so XD
I snapped these just a moment ago for you since there aren't really any photos of it in this color. Please excuse the last one I didn't bring my wig brush with me @_@; or noticed it...
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/Donfoxy/ivy.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEdibleSeed View Post
When you did the gray sharpie, did you trying a bit of rubbing alcohol on it afterwards?

I don't know how the gray would look, but I would think if you did that with the brown, it would, at least, be a bit lighter...or so my experiences using a dark blue sharpie to make a light blue on a white wig tell me lol.

Might end up still being too dark since it's color over color though. My sharpie-color experience is limited, unfortunatly.

I'm testing it on both now one sample is grey with rubbing alcohol the other sample is brown thought the brown pretty much came off when I used the rubbing alcohol.
I'm starting to like the grey and rubbing alcohol sample its semi darker but its not too intense or emerald its turning out the way I wanted infact ^__^ thank you so much!! I'll try this on the a small section of the wig and see how it goes.
Unread 08-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #9
Lothlin

well, if it's the way you wanted, run with it ^^. Honestly, I'd say the wig you have is going to be hard to get to the exact color; it's the same tone as the reference, but much lighter, and wigs can't really be lightened.

But if the gray does what you want, it works XD
Unread 08-18-2008, 07:42 PM   #10
Ashbrie
SUDDENLY MIRACLE TRAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donfoxy View Post
I'm testing it on both now one sample is grey with rubbing alcohol the other sample is brown thought the brown pretty much came off when I used the rubbing alcohol.
I'm starting to like the grey and rubbing alcohol sample its semi darker but its not too intense or emerald its turning out the way I wanted infact ^__^ thank you so much!! I'll try this on the a small section of the wig and see how it goes.
Cool~ Hope it works out well for ya!

C.C.'s hair color is surprisingly tricky, isn't it? Hahaha!

Last edited by Ashbrie : 08-18-2008 at 07:43 PM. Reason: typoooooo noooo
Ashbrie is offline   Reply With Quote