Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 289 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-08-2011, 01:02 AM   #5311
crazdpastry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
My Madam Red costume cost me upwards of $250 to make, but I did her full outfit with the bustle skirt, overskirt, jacket, shirt, hat, bustle pillow, petticoat, corset, wig, boots, gloves...yeah, it was intensive. I spent 75 hours make it because I decided to make it a mixture of historical accuracy and manga accuracy. So be ready to cost a little more than you might expect.

Do you have a picture of the exact one you want to make though? That would help with getting some better help on patterns and all. I used Truly Victorian patterns for most of my costume, but if you are wanting the one I am thinking of, then those probably won't work. But again, if you could link a picture of the exact one you want to do, we could definitely give you some assistance.
Intensive sounds like an understatement! I really admire all the work you put into it, it's pretty insane. (but in a good way, of course) As for the outfit: http://www.mangareader.net/102-2018-...chapter-9.html

I just realized I got this one and the first one confused. XD All that red kinda blends together in my memory, my bad!

As for the price, it'll end up being expensive either way, so I figured I'd spend my money on making it myself and at least I'll know it's done right and that it won't look like a cheap, mass-produced costume. I'm not in any way a hurry to make it, seeing as it'll take me a long while to save up the money to do it (not legally allowed to get a job yet.) But I'd like to have some kind of plan for when I do do it, otherwise I'd end up completely frustrated with a project this large. (thanks again!)
crazdpastry is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #5312
SpiffyPoptarts
needs to upload pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazdpastry View Post
Hello everyone!

I'd like to cosplay Madame Red, but I would much prefer if I could make it instead of buying it from someplace. You never know what you're going to get sometimes and I figured it'd be a tad bit cheaper than the 100-115 dollars (plus who-knows-how-much shipping) that I've been seeing online.

I was wondering if anyone has patterns for her (first, I think?) dress. The one with the vest, I believe. It'd be much appreciated. I admit that I'm rather a novice sewer and what I *do* know is pretty much self-taught, but my friend's Grandma is seamstress so I'm sure she could help me out when I need it. (though feel free to give tips, I'm open to learning anything I can)
Yeah mine wasn't as intense as Mehdia's... xD I spent less than $100 on the dress, but mine wasn't very complex. I'm assuming you want to do this version?

Last edited by SpiffyPoptarts : 10-09-2011 at 04:57 PM.
SpiffyPoptarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #5313
magesticflame
nom nom nom

i want to cosplay grell so badly but i'm broke since this summer i worked on sora(kingdom hearts 2) zexion(kingdom hearts com) honey(ouran) and my alice (wonderland my version) so for christmas imma ask my mom and my dad to buy me some stuff so i can enter my first masquerade with grell

one more thing do you guys think i would make a good grell i'm not tall i'm 5 ft 1 but i will have his shoes hope that will make me taller but is it ok to be well short a little?
heres a pic of me :

http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=memoi.jpg

if i really don't fit the part please tell me i might do ciel instead

thank you
Mary (Ib)
future cons:
Hal-con 2013

onhold cosplay:
honey (ouran)
magesticflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #5314
crazdpastry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyPoptarts View Post
Yeah mine was as intense as Mehdia's... xD I spent less than $100 on the dress, but mine wasn't very complex. I'm assuming you want to do this version?
This one actually: http://www.mangareader.net/102-2018-...chapter-9.html

I got them confused because they both have ruffles in similar places and all that red blends together in my memory.

While I actually like the one that Mehdia did more than the one I chose, I picked this one because-other than the overcoat- it looked to be the simplest one to do, and hopefully cheaper.
crazdpastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #5315
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by magesticflame View Post
i want to cosplay grell so badly but i'm broke since this summer i worked on sora(kingdom hearts 2) zexion(kingdom hearts com) honey(ouran) and my alice (wonderland my version) so for christmas imma ask my mom and my dad to buy me some stuff so i can enter my first masquerade with grell

one more thing do you guys think i would make a good grell i'm not tall i'm 5 ft 1 but i will have his shoes hope that will make me taller but is it ok to be well short a little?
heres a pic of me :

http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=memoi.jpg

if i really don't fit the part please tell me i might do ciel instead

thank you
If you want to cosplay Grell, go for it. If you get some heeled boots, it will help you with not feeling too short. Besides, I've seen some shorter people cosplay him just fine. Just portray him well and make a really nice costume and you will be fine.

*Edit*
I referenced that figure SpiffyPoptarts linked. That's where most of my inspiration came from. That and the original character sketch, though I changed the skirt to go straight instead of mermaid out...that just doesn't work really well with a bustle.

Last edited by Mehdia : 10-08-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #5316
TortureBunni
Living in a Dreamworld

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on Hannah's masquerade gown. I have all of the accessories finished (collar, fascinator, gloves, ect.) I'm working on the wig at the moment, and wanted to get some opinions. I recently attempted my first dye-bath, and the colour didn't turn out quite as dark as I would have hoped, but it did give the wig and overall purplish-grey tint, and left an interesting ombre effect.

My question is if I should keep the colour as is, or try to dye it a darker colour for better accuracy? (Excuse the bad 'shop-job)

Wig Colours

Convention Schedule 2014:
Katsucon
Otakon
TortureBunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 11:55 PM   #5317
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortureBunni View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on Hannah's masquerade gown. I have all of the accessories finished (collar, fascinator, gloves, ect.) I'm working on the wig at the moment, and wanted to get some opinions. I recently attempted my first dye-bath, and the colour didn't turn out quite as dark as I would have hoped, but it did give the wig and overall purplish-grey tint, and left an interesting ombre effect.

My question is if I should keep the colour as is, or try to dye it a darker colour for better accuracy? (Excuse the bad 'shop-job)

Wig Colours
I think it's very good as-is. Honestly most Hannah cosplayers go with just plain white rather than trying to go for the purple tint.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2011, 02:59 AM   #5318
ZexionLover48
1Heck of a scythe-spinner

Yeah, I'm still here XD

I have abandoned my Alan and Will cosplays, kicked them to the curb, dropped them like they were hot -puts hand to forehead dramatically- It was a hard thing to do, but I did it. For several reasons: I decided to go with other easier cosplays, I don't have an Eric (and Alan without and Eric is like Pizza without cheese!) I don't have the money, etc...

I am still doing Grell though, I can't find a red coat! I might just get a black one that looked like his butler!Grell outfit, like pre-killing Madame Red XD I have the glasses and the skull for it I just need to connect the two somehow (my sister said she has something for it, she just misplaced it -_-') And a new vest, the other was clingy and showed off my rolls (and boobs) way to much for my liking (still don't know how I'm gonna go about binding) Since my next cons in December (if I'm going) I plan to drop some pounds, huzzah!

Heres another curse for ya, may all your bacon BURN.
Time to Suit Up!
And thats what you missed on GLEE!
ZexionLover48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2011, 06:47 AM   #5319
Gypsyangelf4i
Places to go,People to be

Just a heads up for all the Grells. Goodwill has brought out all their coats and I have seen several that could easily be turned into Grell's by adding some bias tape Around the edges and a butt bow.
Unread 10-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #5320
Akune-chan

Oh awesome!
I'm close to Grell's height. Just half an inch off xD! (5"8 1/2)
But is he that height with or without heels since those things look like they must add a good 2 inches to his height.(god knows how the heck he walks in them).

As for a red coat, I'm sure it would be best just to draw your own patterns, etc. I have nothing against store bought items but if you want Anime/Manga accuracy, I would think it would be difficult to modify something then just starting fresh.

Also, does anyone know how to style his bangs? I'm having trouble with a commission of mine
Unread 10-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #5321
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZexionLover48 View Post
Yeah, I'm still here XD

I have abandoned my Alan and Will cosplays, kicked them to the curb, dropped them like they were hot -puts hand to forehead dramatically- It was a hard thing to do, but I did it. For several reasons: I decided to go with other easier cosplays, I don't have an Eric (and Alan without and Eric is like Pizza without cheese!) I don't have the money, etc...

I am still doing Grell though, I can't find a red coat! I might just get a black one that looked like his butler!Grell outfit, like pre-killing Madame Red XD I have the glasses and the skull for it I just need to connect the two somehow (my sister said she has something for it, she just misplaced it -_-') And a new vest, the other was clingy and showed off my rolls (and boobs) way to much for my liking (still don't know how I'm gonna go about binding) Since my next cons in December (if I'm going) I plan to drop some pounds, huzzah!
YOU LIVE!!! XDDD

Awwwh. *pets* Eh. I suppose you could always pick em back up when you wanna.

And yeah...I would. Those coats are back 'in' now ;3 Or you can go to Goodwill(vvv) Hurrah for improving Grell, though~! 8DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyangelf4i View Post
Just a heads up for all the Grells. Goodwill has brought out all their coats and I have seen several that could easily be turned into Grell's by adding some bias tape Around the edges and a butt bow.
I. Will. Not. Beg. Mom. To. Take. Me. To. Goodwill.....But it's for my Halloween costuuuume. So I so will. x'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akune-chan View Post
Oh awesome!
But is he that height with or without heels since those things look like they must add a good 2 inches to his height.(god knows how the heck he walks in them).

As for a red coat, I'm sure it would be best just to draw your own patterns, etc. I have nothing against store bought items but if you want Anime/Manga accuracy, I would think it would be difficult to modify something then just starting fresh.

Also, does anyone know how to style his bangs? I'm having trouble with a commission of mine
I...have no clue x.e And oh jeez. I found some the other day that were perfect. And they made me look taller and more like him but...god knows I could hardly stand in them. XDD I couldn't even turn around to look at myself from the front in em without nearly face-planting XDD;; So...I'll wait.

-shrugs- It's simpler for me, at least o: Idrc since it's just a Halloween (or amateur night :P) costume.

And...sadly, no. x.x I'm having the same issue. I have waytoomuchhair on this wig. I got the middle-spiky and a very half-arsed one, but I'm pretty much just randomly taking hair from the bangs and spiking it with Got2B. If your wig is thick enough, I'd just experiment like this. If not...I really dunno. xC

Bright side...This wig doesn't tangle as easily and is thick without weighing my head down 8D And and...I look more Grell-y than I ever expected myself to.
Down side...I'm an idiot and forgot to take pictures. And. I stuffed it back into it's bag. I'm going to wig Hell whenever I release that shemale-shinigummi-tangle monster. >>
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #5322
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akune-chan View Post
Oh awesome!
Dunno if his height is with or without the shoes, but either way, you will have a heel with them. And I would say 2 inches isn't so bad...I've worn 4 inch heels for a cosplay that I had on for 12 hours...
Unread 10-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #5323
HidingintheMist
A lion still has claws

Edit: One of my friends finally made up his mind that he's going to for sure cosplay Grell for our Kuroshitsuji group. It just made my day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZexionLover48 View Post
Yeah, I'm still here XD

Oh wow. Long time no see!

Alan without Eric isn't too odd. I saw one at AX, but the cosplayer was with a Grell, Ronald, and William... nevermind, it is odd without Eric(in my eyes anyway).

Like its been said, check Goodwill and other thriftstores. Coats and jackets will be more common since it's fall, and winter will be here sooner than we realize.

As for binding, I've recently discovered my love for compression shirts. If you can afford one, I'd highly recommend it. If you can't though, theres always ace bandages. I suggest staying away from the self-gripping ones though. Wearing that all day at a con isn't the greatest idea. I tried it for one day of AX(it was a friends, and she didn't want to wear it again- she neglected to say why)... it wound up digging into my skin and leaving a major rash and a few cuts(no idea why/how it did that). I couldn't bind the next day due to the pain, so I went without cosplaying. e____e;; Instead, I was my group's photographer.

Last edited by HidingintheMist : 10-23-2011 at 09:02 PM.
HidingintheMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #5324
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HidingintheMist View Post
As for binding, I've recently discovered my love for compression shirts. If you can afford one, I'd highly recommend it. If you can't though, theres always ace bandages. I suggest staying away from the self-gripping ones though. Wearing that all day at a con isn't the greatest idea. I tried it for one day of AX(it was a friends, and she didn't want to wear it again- she neglected to say why)... it wound up digging into my skin and leaving a major rash and a few cuts(no idea why/how it did that). I couldn't bind the next day due to the pain, so I went without cosplaying. e____e;; Instead, I was my group's photographer.
Binding with ace bandages can be bad for a very extended period of time. That's because they are made to keep themselves tightly compressed because they are usually for binding wounds or sprains in the body. So to keep them over a part of the body that shouldn't be bound, and needs the circulation, such as the breasts, it actually can become quite dangerous to wear them. Compression shirts, sports tape, or making a binder out of extra wide elastic is best.
Unread 10-23-2011, 11:45 PM   #5325
HidingintheMist
A lion still has claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
Binding with ace bandages can be bad for a very extended period of time. That's because they are made to keep themselves tightly compressed because they are usually for binding wounds or sprains in the body. So to keep them over a part of the body that shouldn't be bound, and needs the circulation, such as the breasts, it actually can become quite dangerous to wear them. Compression shirts, sports tape, or making a binder out of extra wide elastic is best.
I've had no problem with ace bandages before this, just with the self gripping one. ^^; Before a compression shirt, there was this ace bandage I used all the time. I used it for on and off for close to two years and had no ill effects(from that one at least).

Believe me, I learned my lesson from that particular kind of ace bandage though!
HidingintheMist is offline   Reply With Quote