Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 07-10-2003, 04:05 PM   #1
BayushiKachiko
Lvl. 10 CLR| Lvl. 4 PALY

Peculiar Wig--Lion's Mane

Question for everyone out there--

If anyone has looked at my costume page or anything (or wants to now) and has seen the pic for the character of Matsu Tsuko from the Legend of the Five Rings game, they may notice the unsual headpiece. And by head piece I don't mean the smaller one--I mean the poofy, long, blond-ish mane lookin' thing.

So, here's my question..

How could I go about constructing a good wig/head piece that has can hold up REALLY long, kind of back brushed spikes (Kinda Sonic the Hedgehog style) yet it soft enough to lay somewhat flat in back, but still look coarse, as if made of straw or reed?

I've tried getting a "punk" style wig, but it was curlier than I wanted it to be and didn't maintain the straw-look. I've considered constructing one myself from actual dried starw stems and such, but that seems like it would be very time consuming. I wouldn't have a problem with it of course, it it would actually hold up.

Any suggestions on how to go about making one myself?

Support your local Paladins and Vampire Slayers.

Team Awesome, Wolf Pack Elite, and Awesome Industries

Current Works in Progress:
Mathias Cronqvist: Castlevania, Lament of Innocence
???Richter Belmont: Castlevania, Harmony of Despair
???Smoke: Mortal Kombat 3

BayushiKachiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-10-2003, 07:03 PM   #2
Gren
Gender Bender

If you want to make it yourself, loose hair can be bought of http://www.ragdolly.net/ don't get the super nice silky. I'd go for the mid-grade yaky I suppose if you're brave enough, you could go for the jumbo braid.. but I think it would be to difficult to work with.

Why low quality over high? Because the lover quality hair tends to be thicker, and the individual fibers are a bit kinked. This helps them hold together. Weft the hair together (I could dig you up links on how to do this if you can't find any though a search engine) and then sew it in a great big spiral onto the base. Now you can use hair spray, or hair cement, or wax or glue or peanut butter or whatever floats your boat to style this big poofy mess into your spikey style.

I hope this helps... There's no pic on your costumes bage, but I've got the sourcebook, so I'm just guessing by other lion clan pictures.
Unread 07-10-2003, 07:48 PM   #3
BayushiKachiko
Lvl. 10 CLR| Lvl. 4 PALY

Ah, thanks a bunch! ^_^

Guess I need to update some stuff, ne? LOL I'll give that a go, and see how that works out.

And I'm surprised you actually have the source book. I say LoFR and people either go "huh?" or "don't you mean LoTR?" Argh, LoL.

I did an awesome Kachiko costume too. I really need to put up some pics.
Unread 07-10-2003, 11:41 PM   #4
Gren
Gender Bender

I'm a proud D&D nerd. I'm actually eagerly anticipating the release of the DragonLance campaign setting. Keep me posted on how the wig comes along! It sounds like it will look delightful!
Gren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2003, 10:13 AM   #5
BayushiKachiko
Lvl. 10 CLR| Lvl. 4 PALY

::Kablink:: ANOTHER proud D&D nerd? Omigoth! LoL...I'm actually waiting on 3.5, but who isn't?
Unread 07-11-2003, 04:13 PM   #6
Gren
Gender Bender

I've heard the changes aren't amazingly drastic, so I'll probably hold off on it and just skim through a freind's copy. Between anime and cosplay and college and sourcebooks, I'm eating a lot of ramen. XD
Gren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2003, 08:07 PM   #7
BayushiKachiko
Lvl. 10 CLR| Lvl. 4 PALY

Here here!

I have a theory that the couches of all college students automatically produce the ten cents needed to buy ramen, LoL.
Unread 08-11-2003, 07:41 AM   #8
Sazie_the_Beast

whoa thats awsome
Sazie_the_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote