Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Unread 09-22-2002, 12:42 PM   #1
Melchior

What exactly is 'cosplaying the in-thing' ?

This is kind of an offshoot thread of ranma's "Overdone Cosplays" thread. A great thread, but a few people mentioned just doing a certain costume because it is the "hot" thing at the moment. Although I'm sure this is valid for some people, I'd be willing to bet that there is a vocal minority of people who have seen the series, loved it, and cosplayed it for that reason.

Take our anime club for instance. While alot of us love to cosplay, usually we only have enough moola to do one costume or series a year. But I'd like to think our groups turn out very well for the time we spend on our costumes.

This year we did Inuyasha. Every one of us loves the series and this was our primary motivation to do the costumes from it. I love my Inuyasha costume, and I really want to wear it more, but anyone who was at Otakon 2002 knows that it was "Night of a Million-Zillion Inuyashas". So it's somehow the "hot" thing of the moment. Kinda depressing when you're one of 20 people with the same costume (as most of you have experienced I'm sure).

Next year, our club is doing Angelic Layer. We've had this idea since maybe, oh, September of last year. But we wont get around to cosplaying it until NEXT year (2003), and by then there will be a million people cosplaying that as well. Ah well. At least we'll have fun.

So the rest of you, what do you think about this? It's kind of hard to differentiate "hot series cosplay" from "good series cosplay". How many Chii's have actually seen Chobits? How many people have played FFX that cosplay Yuna (the majority, I would gather). Thats kinda what I'm fishing for. Maybe more people than you think do their costuming for the love of the series rather than the character design.

Just a thought, hope I didnt offend anyone unintentionally.

Unread 09-22-2002, 08:12 PM   #2
Space Invader
Sparkle Butt

I just dress up in an outfit I find appealing. I personally don't give a damn what everyone else is wearing, although I do have to admit that it would be weird with 20 other people dressed up as the same character as me ^^,. That's why I pick lesser-known / more complex outfit. No school uniforms or anything like that for me .

{ I N L U M I N O }
Space Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2002, 08:18 PM   #3
Tea-chan
Angry little girl.

Series that are massively, massively popular to cosplay currently:

CHOBITS(Most definitely. So many Chiis! *_*;; I was going to do a Chobits costume, but, now.. no.)
InuYasha(So many InuYasha cosplayers. A few are good, but a lot seem to have something that just doesn't work for it.)
FFX(Too popular. x_@)

I believe Chobits will be the next Sailor Moon of cosplay. Yes. That's exactly it.
i am the angel
of your destruction"

http://demon-faerie.net/acid/
Tea-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2002, 09:12 PM   #4
Mei Lan Chang
Its a "shoulder massager"

I was planning on doing a Mai...but I admit I was discouraged to see that it has been done so many times.

Now that is not to say you should not make a costume because everyone else thinks that the charactor you like is really cool too.

I will proudly strut my stuff an Ani-Magic in the highly overplayed Rei Ayanami plugsuit, but to I care? Heck no! I am balancing it out with an original charactor later, but still. PLAY WHATCHA WANNA!

Last edited by Mei Lan Chang : 09-24-2002 at 06:34 PM.
Mei Lan Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2002, 09:25 PM   #5
Space Invader
Sparkle Butt

>PLAY WHATCHA WANNA!

That's really true. Leave it to me to do either a) a really little known/ undercosplayed character, or b) an outfit that almost no one would try to attempt. Except me, but maybe that's because I'm kinda nutty ^^,

{ I N L U M I N O }
Space Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2002, 08:14 AM   #6
Himemiya
AAAHHH INTERFACING

I prefer doing a character that I love, AND I doubt that anyone else will cosplay. Like for chobits, I like chii and all, but I'm doing a Yumi costume ^_^ So I can pose with all the chiis! Yay!
I've developed a twitch to people who see a picture of a character, watch an episode, and crank out a costume. I think I'm allergic to them.
Himemiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2002, 08:19 AM   #7
KuroBara
dog of the military

Melchior- You're the fourth person I've heard mention cosplaying Angelic Layer at Otakon 2003 (including me!) I always have fun posing with someone cosplaying from the same series. Does anyone remember the chorus line of Vashes at Otakon 2001? They were hilarious! My first cosplay was the very common Suzaku no miko. Even though I ran into 5 more, we had each done it in our own way. The best was running into a suzaku seishi group that had everyone but a Miaka and Tamahome. Had I decided against doing a "common" cosplay, I would have missed out on a great photoshoot.

Cosplay who you want to because you like the character, not because it's been done, or it's the trendy thing.
Unread 09-23-2002, 10:57 AM   #8
HuongStar

It's one thing to cosplay as something that everyone is doing (ie Chobits) but it's another thing when you don't bother to find out about the series or anything.

This happened to J-Rock a couple of seasons ago where everyone started to make J-Rock costumes for no reason other than everyone started to do it. Chobits is the current fad and I've heard people talk about cosplaying it without even bothering to read the series. >_< I can understand if something is next to impossible to play/read/find information on (ie Korean or super-new Japanese series) but I wouldn't cosplay something I knew absolutely nothing about. *shrug*

As for overdone cosplay, I have a ton of "overdone" characters I'd like to make but I won't try to make them until I know I can improve on the design and construction.
Unread 09-23-2002, 11:13 AM   #9
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> Had I decided against doing a "common" cosplay, I would have missed out on a great photoshoot.

And you would not have had the temptation to get a sign to go with your costume. I considered it a few times when Rosiel was being consistantly mis-identified. ^___^

But I have to admit, I /like/ obscure cosplays...
Unread 09-23-2002, 12:38 PM   #10
KuroBara
dog of the military

Obscure cosplays are fun, the few people who do recognize you are usually really cool.
Unread 09-23-2002, 01:02 PM   #11
John Booty
The Waffle Truth

I like obscure costumes!

I was Frog from Chrono Trigger at Otakon2K2 and while most people had no idea who I was, the small number of people who did recognize the character were extremely happy! That made the costume worth it.

The other sorta-obscure costume I have is Wildstar (Kodai) from Star Blazers (Yamato). That hasn't been on the air in the U.S. since I was a tiny kid.

Hardly anybody recognizes that one except for like, 35 year-old dudes (I'm 26, for the record). But a few younger people recognize now and then. Whoever recognizes it, it always makes me happy. ^_^
John Booty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2002, 01:26 PM   #12
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

I do obscure cosplays of characters I love, but I also do popular characters if I like them. I am sure I will be one of many Kagomes at AWA this weekend (but I will hopefully have a ghetto InuYasha around to be a bit different) - but I am trying to finish up another costume that I have only seen done 3 times before so at most I would major maybe 2 of this character will be there.
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2002, 08:54 PM   #13
Kurenai

While I think some of the really popular costumes deserve to be because of awesome character design/development, some are just a fad. Personally, I'm not sure why, but cosplaying the more obscure characters can be really fun ^_^
Kurenai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2002, 09:29 PM   #14
Karasu
my tortured senses. . .

I cosplay the characters I love! When I cosplayed Akane (Sailor Lead Crow) only one person recognized me. I truely don't care for the 'in' cosplayed character.

My next ones are the adult Katan (Angel Sanctuary) and Sora (Escaflowne movie).
Unread 09-23-2002, 11:09 PM   #15
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

So far my costumes have had a good balance of obscurity and recognizability. The most wonderful thing about my FFVI costumes is having those rare people recognize it and get excited *_*. But it's not so fun when the outfit is SO obscure that only two people at the biggest con in North America recognize you >.<. And I thought Pretear was more popular than that :P.

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote