Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-23-2014, 03:38 AM   #1
theeribird
Post Otakon Syndrome

Uh oh... King Joffrey not such a good idea??

Ok so my sister and her other half will be cosplaying Daenerys and Drogo at this years Otakon. I hoped right on board the GoT theme and started thinking about which characters my partner and I should do. Thats when Purple Wedding Joffrey and Margaery came to mind. In terms of appearance and skill level I feel we could do an AMAZING job on it. However, I'm beginning to get a little concerned about choosing these two. My would-be Joffrey is a tad on the shy side and prob wouldn't enjoy a random slap to the face very much. Do you think fan reaction may be enough of an issue here to shy away from the choice? :/
theeribird is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2014, 07:05 AM   #2
AnimeAndMusical

As bad mannered as some people are, I dare say that they know not to randomly hit a stranger in the face, whether they are dressed as an evil character or not.

That being said I have never watched GoT (except for that scene, coincidentally) and I know nothing about how reasonable the majority of the fans are, so I am probably not the best person to answer.

Cosplays:
Wasp - Marvel Universe (100%), Winter Soldier - Marvel Universe (100%), Sasha - Attack on Titan (40%), Link (secret version) - Legend of Zelda (65%), Lady Loki - Marvel Universe (70%), Fem!Prussia - Hetalia (100%), Envy - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (100%), Lily - Pandora Hearts (95% - on hold) and Pikachu - Pokemon (100%)

Last edited by AnimeAndMusical : 04-23-2014 at 07:08 AM.
AnimeAndMusical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
Monocle_Complex
Chessmate

I've seen people cosplaying Joffrey before and there's never been a reported incident yet of someone slapping the cosplayer. I would expect at a convention especially that people can discern that cosplaying someone doesn't make you that character. Conventions have a no-violence policy as well and everyone knows it.

Worst case scenario though, people are going to tell you how passionately they hate him, but I very much doubt anyone would actually hit you for it.

Anime Detour 2014:
• Corvo Attano [100% Complete]
•Spider Splicer [100% Complete]

Anime Detour 2014:
•Spider Splicer
Monocle_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

God no, people aren't going to just haul off and assault a Joffrey. It just won't happen. The Joffreys I've seen tend to be the focus of some good-natured catcalling, however, so your Joffrey might want to have a few remarks about peasants prepared ahead of time.

The rare few people who do inappropriate physical contact like that overwhelmingly do it to characters they like, not loathe. They also tend to be young inexperienced fans, and GoT fans are mostly past their early teens. Don't let worry about this stop you.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
Swiftstart

People getting violent towards characters is super super rare :3
I've had it happen once and it was a super minor goofy thing- I was cosplaying Jack Frost and walking down the hall and a pair of supernatural cosplayers decided to stab me with their fake knife before running off wildly. Which was..weird more than anything. It didn't hurt or anything it was more jsut 0-0

Weeaboo stories would make you think violant rampages on characters is a common happening, its not. If it happens and it makes oyu uncomfortable, find con staff pretty much
Unread 04-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
Roaringtide
Crashing Wave

You just need to make sure some is there to play your kings guard :3
Roaringtide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #7
lemuries

I would also imagine that if he is a tad on the shy side, I don't think he's going to be emoting a Joffrey-like demeanor. To me, that would be a flag that he's not up to playing out a scene with someone in GoT costume.

I would think that unless he was hamming up a petulant, pushy Joffrey, people wouldn't approach him to play out a scene where he might get abuse heaped on him.

Then again, the kind of people who might want to assault a cosplayer bringing a villain to life probably don't have that kind of forethought before their actions.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
ShiroKanade
Yay Life Fibers

I've yet to slap Leona cosplayers. You should be safe

Anime California - August 2014

Katsucon - 2015
ShiroKanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #9
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

You will be fine.

No one is going to slap you. The worst that will happen is people telling you they hate you (some people can't differentiate a cosplay from the actual character...this is rare though).
Unread 04-23-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
Kokoro Hane
Mangaka on a mission~

Only idiots would slap a Joffery cosplayer. That's like saying people will slap Joffery's actor, when they really should appreciate his epic acting skills for bringing such a despictable character to life that you're suppose to hate, it's mad skills! I would totally appreciate a villain cosplay! Makes a group more fun, I say! Sure, I myself as a GoT fan hates Joffery, but I wouldn't hit someone. I would probably ask "Can I have your picture, please?!" and comment on how awesome they look. Plus, if you're into roleplaying, it would make a lot of fun scenarios you can act out (without any assaults!) Shows always have good and bad characters, each which deserve some cosplay love to complete a group! I think you guys will actually get asked for more pictures than anything ^.^
Meiko [default] (Vocaloid)
Hajime (Hamatora) {debuted at; Anime Conji 2014}
Tomoyo Daidouji [summer uniform] (Cardcaptor Sakura)
Xiaoyu [school uniform] (Tekken Tag Tournament 2)

Currently in the works!
Keichii Maebara [casual, genderbent] (Higurashi)
Shinji Ikari [school uniform, genderbent] (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
Kokoro Hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #11
Kelley
Devil of Details

I really don't think anyone will care. Many people have already done Joffrey costumes and the actor walks around with his face stuck on his face all the time and he's not dead or maimed yet.

I think a better question would be if your person is comfortable doing this or if they might rather be a character who would suit their shy demeanor instead. How a person holds and comports themselves has a lot to do with the overall impact of a costume and if they're not comfortable in it, it can show.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #12
Chikkijet
I am a Woman-Child :P

I've heard of people catcalling as mentioned, but in most cases, the Joffrey responded in character, everyone laughed, and that was it! I wouldn't worry

Awards: EB Expo Runner Up Best Costume Just 'Cos Contest '12, Video Games Live Dubai Cosplay Winner '13
Chikkijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2014, 10:54 PM   #13
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

OK, so I'm a Joffrey cosplayer. Here's what I have to say on the issue

1. A random slap on the face is assault which is VERY illegal! I've never had this happen, but if it does, at the very least talk to con or hotel staff, and at the most you CAN press charges.

TBH for me I know that at one con I go to each year, there's a little person who cosplays Tyrion, and if I run into her as Joff, I will ask for her to lightly slap me for a vid, but that would be consensual so yah nvm.

2. Make sure everyone in your group is at least caught up on the show. People will make comments that could be spoilers.

3. People will make comments about how much they hate Joff. My response was always to get into character and say "Those words are treason! I'll have your head!" The worst that ever happened was someone this weekend called me the C word. From the context and tone, it was clear they meant Joff was a C, not me, but I still felt icky because I don't like that word...anyway that was the worst, and that's still not so bad.

Anyway, if your Joffrey is shy, here's an idea, if somebody heckles him, you or one of your friends could be the person to say "that's treason" or "how DARE you speak ill of the rightful king?!" or something.
youtu be channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote