Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 48 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-16-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
RubyJewelz

Where can I buy colored contacts in-store?

I'm doing a Hinata cosplay this weekend and I was hoping to find a store that sells white colored contacts that I could use. I looked in Walmart, but they don't carry the kind that I need. If anyone knows of a store that might sell them, I would appreciate it if they told me
RubyJewelz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
benihime
Kimono Queen

DO NOT BUY CONTACTS AT WALMART
you could HURT your eyes using those.

the only place you SHOULD buy them is through your optometrist or online through a reputable store

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
muthfullofwords

Quote:
Originally Posted by benihime View Post

the only place you SHOULD buy them is through your optometrist or online through a reputable store
That's interesting, I never knew they had contacts at Walmart o_O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJewelz View Post
I'm doing a Hinata cosplay this weekend and I was hoping to find a store that sells white colored contacts that I could use. I looked in Walmart, but they don't carry the kind that I need. If anyone knows of a store that might sell them, I would appreciate it if they told me
Buying them online are the best bet.

This is where I get mine: http://extremesfx.com/

Good luck !

Last edited by Michi : 09-16-2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: merging a double post
muthfullofwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
LegacyOfMadara

Quote:

You do realize that Wal-Mart has their own Optometry staff and wouldn't sell anyone contacts without the correct exams and procedures....And their contacts are exactly the same as anywhere else...
LegacyOfMadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
Legatosgurl
I am a BANANA!!!!

Personally, I really doubt that you're gonna get the contacts you need by this weekend.
Walmart dosen't carry white contacts, and frankly after talking to my optomitrist I'm not sure there's even a way to get those.

Just my two cents? You won't be able to see if you have the white-out contacts.

Final Fantasy - Physics not included.

Cosplay 2012:
MLP: DJ PON 3
Soul Eater: Tsubaki
Legatosgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:

I think OP was referring to the Wal-Mart optometry department.

You probably won't be able to find a place to get white-out lenses by this weekend. Some optometrists do carry FX lenses around Halloween, and you could try calling around, but most places need to special order them for you. Most white-out lenses will have a clear space in the center (which will show up black when you wear them) to allow you to see, so you may not find that they make an enormous difference in appearance, especially if you have light colored eyes.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 12:03 AM   #7
Beryl
I did it all for you

Quote:

benihime is right to be cautious. We say this every time somebody says the word "contacts": always see an optometrist and buy from a reputable source.

Buying contacts from Wal-Mart is fine, provided that they match your prescription. Yes, you should have one written up, even if you don't need corrective lenses. One-size-fits-all doesn't work nearly as well with contacts as it does with socks. Make sure you're getting what you need.

That said, I don't know that anyone sells those on a regular basis, let alone on short notice. Best bet? Try a place that specializes in eye care. Optometrist's office, for example. They may be able to get some for you. Only one way to find out.

And always remember to follow this handy guide when posting.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #8
Peetie11

I just had to respond to this. Why shouldn't people buy contacts at Walmart? Walmart has a reputable Optical department with a real optometrist on duty. My husband and my son both get their prescriptions there. Also, I have bought some of the theatrical (halloween) lenses from walmart and they are legitamate. Walmart does carry them around halloween, but I'm not sure if they carry them year round. They get them from Wild Eyes and Crazy Eyes so they are legitamate contacts. The only way contacts could damage your eyes is if you don't know how to put them in, don't know how to care for them, or share them with someone else.
Happy Haunting!!
Peetie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #9
Peetie11

Thank you!!! Someone else realizes that Walmarts were supersized and now have an actual Optical department with a REAL optometrist on duty.
Unread 10-05-2008, 07:55 PM   #10
Peetie11

Walmart does carry the white contacts. They are called either white out fx lenses or zombie lenses. I'm not sure if they carry them year round but they do have them around halloween. The reason I know this is because I have purchased them from Walmart. And they are so cool. They completely change the way you look and usually freak people out!!

Have a great Halloween!!
Unread 10-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #11
Peetie11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koumori View Post
I think OP was referring to the Wal-Mart optometry department.

You probably won't be able to find a place to get white-out lenses by this weekend. Some optometrists do carry FX lenses around Halloween, and you could try calling around, but most places need to special order them for you. Most white-out lenses will have a clear space in the center (which will show up black when you wear them) to allow you to see, so you may not find that they make an enormous difference in appearance, especially if you have light colored eyes.
I have the white lenses and it doesn't matter what color your eyes are............these contacts are dramatic!!!!!!! They completely freak people out. Not only are they noticeable in regular lights, but they are noticeable in black lights and even in a fairly dark room as long as it isn't pitch black. Walmart used to carry theatrical lenses in the optical department, but you have to have an eye exam before you can purchase them, even if you don't wear prescription lenses. This year, I am wearing the white lenses to a friends halloween party. And for my own party, I'm wearing the blue rave lenses. They glow under black lights and are truly creepy!!!!!!
Have an ULTRA creepy halloween!!!!!
Unread 10-05-2008, 08:09 PM   #12
Peetie11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJewelz View Post
I know its too late for your play, but you can get theatrical lenses at Walmart. If they don't have what you need, there are places online that offer theatrical lenses. Vampfangs.com offers them and their prices are one of the cheapest. Usually around $60 o $70. Unless you get the sclera lenses which cover your whole entire eye. They are about $300. The sclera lenses do come in white but I wouldn't recommend them since you are blind when you have them in. The entire lens is white so your pupil is covered.

Good luck in the future!!
Unread 10-21-2008, 03:00 PM   #13
Sachie

I really want to get colour contacts...
But urg, I have to go pay for a eye doctor appointment.

I WOULD be cautious about buying contacts from internet sites though , just because, well, they're being sent from an unrecognized location. It would probably be best to visit your eye doctor and ask them!

You can also looks on lens.com, they have reasonably priced contacts.
Sachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #14
BeckieLyn
Becca-Lyn

Hmmm, *gets ideas for Alucard cosplay* Man I've been watching hellsing too much. GLOWING RED EYES BAHAHHAHAH. <---- Will look into those. I need a pair err one for my allen cosplay... Hmmm. Very much agreed with Sachie. I've screwed my eyes up enough looking for cosplay reference pics XD.

I'm curious where you all live that this mysterious Walmart sells theatrical lenses. As far as I can tell I don't see any..
BeckieLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #15
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckieLyn View Post
Hmmm, *gets ideas for Alucard cosplay* Man I've been watching hellsing too much. GLOWING RED EYES BAHAHHAHAH. <---- Will look into those. I need a pair err one for my allen cosplay... Hmmm. Very much agreed with Sachie. I've screwed my eyes up enough looking for cosplay reference pics XD.

I'm curious where you all live that this mysterious Walmart sells theatrical lenses. As far as I can tell I don't see any..
My Wal-mart has some in stock, though they don't keep them in the main cases. Mine is in Columbus, Ohio. You have to be a patient of theirs though with a current contact lens prescription.
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote