Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 01-29-2015, 06:49 PM   #1
Reiasha

Looking for Crossplaying Advice!

So I recently earned enough money to take a trip to my first big convention, which is Sakura Con this April in Seattle. I am going with a group of friends and semi-friends/aquaintances and we are all going to cosplay. Now I have for the longest time, been a very feminine man and consider myself to be transgendered. One of the people who is going knew this and offered the idea to me that I should "Crossplay" when we go. Now I never have been one to outwardly show my gender identity, but the thought of Crossplay really got me wondering if I should take that extra step. A couple things are making me hesitate though. Like, How acceptable is Crossplay in most coventions? and how much negative attention should I expect?
Reiasha is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-29-2015, 10:13 PM   #2
YuPuffin
Claims to be a puffin

I can't speak for all conventions or anything universal like that, but I've been to SakuraCon (and a couple of other cons) several times, and from my experiences crossplaying isn't viewed any differently from normal cosplaying. In general I haven't heard of anyone getting bugged for crossplaying, nor have I had any such experiences myself. There could always be that one person who feels like being grumpy or whatever, but overall I would say crossplay (namely at SakuraCon) is generally quite acceptable, and in my experiences crossplay hasn't attracted too much, if any, negative attention.

Granted, I'm a girl cosplaying as male characters, which I've seen far more of than the other way around, so I can't say for sure how crossplayers are seen in the opposite situation. Personally I don't mind it at all; I appreciate it just like any other cosplay!

Cosplays I want to do later
Lucidia (Original character), Keiichi Shimizu (La Corda d'Oro), Rosalie (Tactics)
YuPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2015, 10:33 PM   #3
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

At sakuracon we have what we call "The Touhou Fandom Guys". These are men that cross dress as the girls from the Touhou games. They are the type that do not pass. They do it on purpose. Its funny I guess. Anyway cross dressing while not adding is accepted. Image real crossplaying. Trust me. At sakuracon you'll be fine.
-Peach (Super Smash bros 3DS)
-Gohan (DBZ, Cell Saga, Either SSJ1 or SSJ2)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2015, 06:25 AM   #4
Reiasha

I'm really glad to hear this! I suppose I'm just nervous but for some reason I assumed the worst. None the less, this is super relieving to hear! Thank you both for easing my nerves.
Unread 01-30-2015, 06:12 PM   #5
ZERO//.2K

The first time I crossplayed was as Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn at last years Phoenix Comic Con and honestly, I had nothing but compliments. Same went for Saboten Con went I crossplayed as Super Sonico. The most important thing to remember is that it doesn't matter what other people think of you, whether it be negative or positive, as long as you're having fun that's what counts; don't let closed-minded people get in the way of your con experience and just be true to yourself. I have a similar story, have been crossdressing ever since July and it's the most important lesson you'll ever learn if you want to keep with it.

Like YuPuffin said, it's generally more accepted at cons than it used to be due to the atmosphere and demographics, but there will always be those people.
金: Kongou - KanColle
土: Bismarck Kai - KanColle
日: Princess Luna - MLP

FB: Zro2K

ZERO//.2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2015, 08:42 PM   #6
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Feeling nervous is actually extremely common for the first time. Don't worry. You just gotta push past that and force yourself to go outside anyway. You gotta learn to take the good responses to heart and pretend you don't know what the bad is talking about "eff you I'm fabulous".
Unread 01-31-2015, 08:55 PM   #7
Reiasha

hearing all this from others really does wonders for my confidence! I'll do my best to have that "eff you I'm fabulous" mentality haha! Thank you all again!
Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)
Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
Unread 01-31-2015, 09:24 PM   #8
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiasha View Post
hearing all this from others really does wonders for my confidence! I'll do my best to have that "eff you I'm fabulous" mentality haha! Thank you all again!
lol if you see me at con you can walk around with me. Cosplaying MTF with another person makes things a little easier. That is, if you want..
Unread 01-31-2015, 11:28 PM   #9
Reiasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jei-Cos View Post
lol if you see me at con you can walk around with me. Cosplaying MTF with another person makes things a little easier. That is, if you want..
That would be wonderful! Thank you for the kind offer! I'll definetely at least say hello if I see you.
Unread 02-01-2015, 12:36 AM   #10
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Quote:
That would be wonderful! Thank you for the kind offer! I'll definetely at least say hello if I see you.
No problem. It just helps to have other people that are also doing the same thing..

Anyway, I see you have Asuna and Kagami both in your signature. Are you doing one of them for Sakuracon? All that's doing is reminding me that my group needs to finish our own Lucky Star stuff..I too am cosplaying Kagami when we do.
Unread 02-01-2015, 04:55 AM   #11
Reiasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jei-Cos View Post
No problem. It just helps to have other people that are also doing the same thing..

Anyway, I see you have Asuna and Kagami both in your signature. Are you doing one of them for Sakuracon? All that's doing is reminding me that my group needs to finish our own Lucky Star stuff..I too am cosplaying Kagami when we do.
Yeah! I'm planning on doing Asuna at Sakura con. I'm saving Kagami for later, although she is definetely on my list. What a coincidence though that we would both be planning on doing her. I bet it's fun having a whole group doing cosplays from the same anime.
Unread 02-01-2015, 12:27 PM   #12
builder396
Fresh Trans

I also did a crossplay last summer, and even for me everything was completely positive. And now i know im transsexual.

I actually recommend you try it out, you can slip into the role of the other gender for a while and explore how you feel about it, but you have a safety net in any case and dont commit to anything. Worked that way for me

Planned cosplays:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)
Eucliwood Hellscythe (Kore wa Zombie desu ka?)

Maybes:
Haruhi Suzumiya (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
Char B1 (Its a TANK, its not from an anime, unless you mean Girls und Panzer)
builder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2015, 04:15 PM   #13
meb9000

Quote:
Yeah! I'm planning on doing Asuna at Sakura con. I'm saving Kagami for later, although she is definetely on my list. What a coincidence though that we would both be planning on doing her. I bet it's fun having a whole group doing cosplays from the same anime.
Asuna was the second crossplay I ever did, after Erza Scarlet from Fairy Tail. Here is a pic of me as Asuna from last year's Sakuracon. http://imgur.com/wG9pLDR

Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney series)

Weiss Schnee (RWBY)

Chitoge Kirisaki (Nisekoi)

Yukino Yukinoshita (Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU)
meb9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2015, 09:21 PM   #14
AuraLucario7
DB Vocaloid Poke Freak!

Trust me, it was nerve wrecking the first time I crossplayed last year. Crossplay is pretty accepted in the con community, really not no one bats an eye at it. Once I did it though, it was fun, and even more fun since I had a good friend with me.

Anime Central 2015
Anime Midwest 2015

Planned 2015 Cosplays

Angel Stocking (Panty & Stocking w/ Garterbelt)
Gohan (Dragon Ball Z: Revival of F)
many some more if I'm feeling ambitious
AuraLucario7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2015, 07:28 PM   #15
PolyVinylAres
Friendship is Plastic

At NekoCon I crossplayed as Mako Mankanshoku from Kill la Kill. I shaved my legs, but not my beard :P Anyway, I had a blast, folks loved the costume, and at the KLK photoshoot I got picked up by a huge, buff, Nudist Beach Gamagoori for a post. It was hilarious and awesome!

To summarise: do it, hold your head high and be proud of your costume, and everyone who matters will love it

*-*-* Beards and skirts, we're making it work! *-*-*
PolyVinylAres is offline   Reply With Quote