Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > MikomiCon

Unread 09-25-2008, 03:21 AM   #1
Mikomicon
MikomiCon

MikomiCon 4- September 18th-20th 2009

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to post next years dates. We are going to begin planning for 2009, so any suggestions on what worked and what didn't would be great.

Also, if you have a great idea for a panel or fun event, we are always happy to hear it. As you know we have a wonderful venue including the Plaza Del Sol. We try to conduct as many fun events in the Plaza as possble.

So, I would love to hear any fun ideas our con goers might have for an event

Goldie
California State University Northridge
www.mikomicon.com
www.myspace.com/mikomicon

Last edited by Eurobeat King : 09-25-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Mikomicon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-25-2008, 03:59 AM   #2
Mikomicon
MikomiCon

Good News for 2009

Hi,

I posted this info on the 2008 thread, but wanted to include the info on the new 2009 thread.

Some good news for 2009. After much discussion, it was decided to roll back our prices for next year. We understand how tight money is, and wanted to make the con affordable for everyone.

So, full con for 2009 will be $35 and a one-day will be $25.

That is at-con, if you decide to preregister then the price is $5 less.
California State University Northridge
www.mikomicon.com
www.myspace.com/mikomicon
Mikomicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 01:54 AM   #3
KiyomiTakada

Awesomeness. Do I prereg here or at the website?
KiyomiTakada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
FullMetal Ninja
SasuNaru/NaruSasu is LOVE

Good idea! I love the fact that cons care about it's attendees. I'll be sure to be there this year too! Maybe do some more Para Para in the Masq. intermission? I've done that for 2 years now ^^

FullMetal Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2009, 04:17 AM   #5
Aya Brea X
Rockman Fan

I finally remembered to go pre reg for a badge and artist table, but got some weird message that says the site is suspended? O_o
Aya Brea X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Lazarathe

Hey everyone! I'm wondering how Mikomicon ranks in terms of excitment compared to ALA/PMX/Fanime. This past AX was lousy and i've decided to only go to the smaller cons, so this seems right up my alley. Can someone tell me the estimate number of attendees and if it's worth going to?
Lazarathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
Matsuda Tota
The Shield Breaker

Idea for a panel? Can I do a panel about dancing? lol
Matsuda Tota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
Cosplay Cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarathe View Post
Hey everyone! I'm wondering how Mikomicon ranks in terms of excitment compared to ALA/PMX/Fanime. This past AX was lousy and i've decided to only go to the smaller cons, so this seems right up my alley. Can someone tell me the estimate number of attendees and if it's worth going to?
Well, to answer your question.... Have a personal review!

Mikomi Con is a smaller convention, and takes place at CSUN (a college campus in Northridge), so I think mostly locals of the area show up. Occassionally you'll get the more hardcore LA-area fans who go to every single con like it's their life's mission to attend everything (like me, lol).

It's also a lot more family oriented from what I've seen of most cons, probably because it's in such a public area. There are plenty of normies milling about since CSUN is a public location after all. They often ask what's going on and ask a lot of questions.

I like Mikomi Con and rank it in my top three California conventions year-round because it's by fans, for fans. I think (don't quote me on this) that it's run by the CSUN anime club, and because of that it's more like they know what they're doing,. The staff members are a lot more pleasant and friendly in attitude than those of a certain larger convention, and a lot of the people from the-con-run-by-a-big-friendly-bear go to this one, so familiar faces are abound.

My rating for Mikomi Con is as such:

Overall Rating: 4.5 out of 5, mainly due to there being very very few negatives (mostly involving parking, which is always a hassle at a college anyway).

Lines - there are usually none or very very short ones!
Exhibition Hall - quality over quantity!
Artist Alley - friendly artists, good local networking, lovely art!
Guests of Honor - this is slightly biased, since I'm a huge fan of JYB but... they pick REALLY GOOD ones every year!
Events - Masquerade and the concerts were very enjoyable, AMVs were a blast. The para-para dancers during intermission were awesome.
Drama - Because there are less people, there is less drama.
Gaming Room - Excellent, especially with my introduction to Pachinko.
Staff - Friendly and positive, ran things very smoothly.
Panels - Anyone could start, anyone could join. I had a great time and I'll even be signing up to have a panel of my own this year if I can.
Cosplayers - Last year there was a Trinity Blood group that knocked my socks off with their stunning outfits. Glitter everywhere, omg! But you will definitely see some amazing cosplays wandering about.
Food - There are some fast food joints nearby, the college campus food court had a decent selection that wasn't too pricey and there were also food carts with instant Ramen, Calpico and other cool Japanese treats.
Late-night Activities - Rum Party and DJ Hellsing FOR THE WIN!
Parking - The one and only negative I found last year. It's a college campus, though, so I expected it. My advice -- GET THERE EARLY!

~*~

Now then... After singing your high praises, Mikomi Con, I would like to ask how I can start a fan-panel this year. I'm very interested in a series that's taking the world by storm -- Axis Powers Hetalia -- and I was thinking a fan-panel discussing "Just what is Hetalia anyway?" for the newbies and "Nice to see you again!" for the veteran Hetalia fans would be a great contribution to the repertoire this year.

I would like to organize it, if you'll let me. Ah, but who should I contact to get info on such things, ne?

- Cy
Cosplay Cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
Lazarathe

Wow! Loads of great information there! Thanks a ton Cyborg, i will definately go to Mikomicon this year now lol
Lazarathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 11:37 PM   #10
Cosplay Cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarathe View Post
Wow! Loads of great information there! Thanks a ton Cyborg, i will definately go to Mikomicon this year now lol
Glad I could help. See you there Lazarathe~

- Cy
Cosplay Cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 12:09 AM   #11
animeangl
nomnomnom

i have a question.when and specifically where is it. sry if the answers already posted up, i might have not seen it
Officer caitlyn- 0%
Neko-90%
Yuzuriha Inori-100%
Scheherazade- 100%

animeangl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 01:14 AM   #12
l0urie

Ooh wow! Thanks so much for the detailed info Cosplay Cyborg! *w* I was supposed to go last year but due to lack of funds..I couldn't! ^^; BUT..I will most definitely go this year~ C: Hopefully I meet you guys there!!
l0urie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 02:20 AM   #13
kunailive
I yell at masquerades.

I run the console gaming room for Mikomicon, and we're still working on final details for this year.

The only thing I can confirm is a Street Fighter IV tournament, where 1st place gets $500 (and no entry fee- your badge lets you enter for free).
kunailive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #14
LonelyOtaku

if at all possible with the help of a few friends, id like to do a panel on con etiquette. Basically do the general rules of the con. No means no. Please and thank you are the magic words - just overall general politeness
LonelyOtaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #15
tamahomegurl
Itchy.Scratchy.Tasty.

Hi! I've never been to this convention before and my friend and I are definitely looking forward to it! =)

I was wondering how we can pay for admission? Is it through a pre-paid online registration or is admission going to be paid at the door? Thanks for any info up-front! =)

...Itchy...Scratchy...Tasty...
tamahomegurl is offline   Reply With Quote