Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-30-2008, 12:49 AM   #1
chris-chan
the one and only

Kool-Aid hair dye

So, I heard about using kool-aid to dye your hair, so I figured im gonna give it a shot this thursday. Figured i'd do it for two reasons, one, i'm gonna try to cosplay Kain at Anime Supercon, and two, I just felt like orange hair for october.
So, I was wondering if anyone has tried it or heard of another cosplayer doing it. My hair is dirty blonde/light brown, and i've been told I won't need to bleach it, but I will have to keep it in for like 10 hours. Also, how do yall think it will photograph for a costume?
Also, I was looking through the instructions online, and i have a general idea of how to do it, but how thick does it really have to be? The instructions kind of differ from person to person. Some say to add a quarter sized drop of conditioner per packet, other say to use a quarter sized drop per two packets, but they all say to get a cream like viscosity. But, i've never dyed my hair before, so I don't know what kind of viscosity it has to be if its like a special cream like viscosity.

Unread 09-30-2008, 01:13 AM   #2
benihime
Kimono Queen

i wouldn't suggest it, that's all i'm saying.
if you want it orange why not get that stuff they have at hot topic?

wigs are always better than dying your hair or especially the kool aid thing

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2008, 01:41 AM   #3
chris-chan
the one and only

Why dont you suggest it? I've seen some really nice outcomes from it.

And I was thinking about doing manic panic tiger lily, but in order to get it orange i'd have to bleach my hair.
Unread 09-30-2008, 01:44 AM   #4
o01101011
Just call me Digit

I can only guess she wouldnt suggest it since its basically dying your hair with sugar...

Also, are you wanting this to last more then a day or two?
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2008, 01:51 AM   #5
Faraday
oh modern man.

If you want to do it I'd suggest doing a test run first. I've never done it before, but I'd say put the concoction on at night and let it harden/dry up before you go to bed, when you shower in the morning you can make the decision yourself if it's worth doing the night before the con. I image if it sticks it'll look very diluted (I used to have a color wheel of Koolaid colors somewhere...)
If you still want to go for orange dye try Special Effects' Hi Octane Orange, I'm sure you won't need to bleach your hair for it and it'll last for about a month.

I actually don't even know what the character looks like so I don't know if you're better off a getting a wig or what.
Unread 09-30-2008, 02:23 AM   #6
chris-chan
the one and only

The thing is, i'm not just doing this for a character, i'm doing it for the character and because I fell like dying my hair orange for october, so buying a wig would be pointless.

And whats the big diffrence between manic panic and special fx? I know people sometimes tend to be biased towards one or the other, which one is really better though?
Unread 09-30-2008, 02:25 AM   #7
chris-chan
the one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by o01101011 View Post
I can only guess she wouldnt suggest it since its basically dying your hair with sugar...

Also, are you wanting this to last more then a day or two?
Actually, you're using the unsweetened type, so there isn't any sugar (don't know the sugar level of unsweetened, but from some research online and from the word, i'm guessing theres close to none.)

Im trying to get about a month with the dye, and i've heard of people having it last a good 2 months to a year, but at the same time people have only had it last a few days.
Unread 09-30-2008, 03:05 AM   #8
Faraday
oh modern man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-chan View Post
And whats the big diffrence between manic panic and special fx? I know people sometimes tend to be biased towards one or the other, which one is really better though?
People tend to have better luck with Special Effects sticking around, some others love Manic Panic, it's all a matter of opinion. Like when I dyed my hair red, I experimented with SFX's Blood Red and MP Vampire Red because they're the same shade. I noticed my hair immediately started fading to orange after the second wash with Vampire; when I was using Blood, it gradually faded to fushia.
Personally I've had better luck getting SFX to stay to my unbleached hair -- especially the oranges, reds, and greens -- but if you want something very temporary then use Manic Panic.
Unread 09-30-2008, 11:11 AM   #9
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Kool-Aid was a common hair dye back in the day when I was a teenager and Manic Panic was harder to come by. It works, and it won't damage the OP's hair. As far as the consistency, OP, you just want to make it into a cream thick enough to stay on your hair, so begin with a little bit of conditioner and add more gradually until you get the thickness you need.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
Matty's Mello
moved to 'Rainbowgasm'

all i know is that when I tried it on my blond highlights back in 8th grade, the BEES, THE BEES! Even though I didn't add the sugar, but maybe I wasn't using the unsweetened ...

Current "Active" Cosplays: Post-scar Mello- 100%; Zero "Bloodlust" & "Artbook"- 100%

Next Con: DTAC 2009 (Dec. 13th)

Possible Cons: Con-G 2010, MTAC 2010, Anime North 2010, ConBravo 2010, NAF 2010, CN Anime 2010, Naru2U 2010

Next cosplays: Zero (Vampire Knight)- day class uniform
Matty's Mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2008, 10:02 PM   #11
winter_kira
need other cosplayers

does it work thou? And if you have almost black brow-redish hair would it turn black if you used purple?
winter_kira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2008, 10:45 PM   #12
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

I knew a girl in high school that died the tips of her hair with red kool aid...and her hair was pretty dark...so it does work.

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2008, 12:40 AM   #13
chris-chan
the one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koumori View Post
Kool-Aid was a common hair dye back in the day when I was a teenager and Manic Panic was harder to come by. It works, and it won't damage the OP's hair. As far as the consistency, OP, you just want to make it into a cream thick enough to stay on your hair, so begin with a little bit of conditioner and add more gradually until you get the thickness you need.
Thanks, that actually helps some.

And winter_kira, from what i've been reading, it doesn't work on black hair, but there was a black girl with really dark brown hair to get it to turn a dark red with red kool-aid, I don't know what color it would turn it though, sorry.

And thanks fritzy. But, where can I buy special effects if I decide to try it later on down the road? I looked on the website, but I can't seem to be able to order it from there.
Unread 10-01-2008, 02:39 AM   #14
agent_airline

Where do you live? Theres really no good reason for anyone to use Kool-Aid anymore. In my area, you can walk into almost any beauty store and get Manic Panic, Special Effects, Jerome Russel Punk Color, or any other color dyes. Though Punky Color is my fav since I do a lot of turquoise and theirs is great. You might want to try Special Effects though, I'm not sure Punky has a good orange? Any of these brands, you only need to keep it in 30 minutes, theres NO mixing, and you get great color for months (I've been dying my hair neon colors for 7 years and these are my favs). If you need to buy online, try:
http://amphigory.com/punky_colour_hairdye.html
http://amphigory.com/special_effects_hairdye.html
These are fine too: http://search.hottopic.com/search?p=...pic&w=hair+dye
Unread 10-01-2008, 06:12 AM   #15
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent_airline View Post
Where do you live? Theres really no good reason for anyone to use Kool-Aid anymore. In my area, you can walk into almost any beauty store and get Manic Panic, Special Effects, Jerome Russel Punk Color, or any other color dyes. Though Punky Color is my fav since I do a lot of turquoise and theirs is great. You might want to try Special Effects though, I'm not sure Punky has a good orange? Any of these brands, you only need to keep it in 30 minutes, theres NO mixing, and you get great color for months (I've been dying my hair neon colors for 7 years and these are my favs). If you need to buy online, try:
http://amphigory.com/punky_colour_hairdye.html
http://amphigory.com/special_effects_hairdye.html
These are fine too: http://search.hottopic.com/search?p=...pic&w=hair+dye
Gonna have to disagree on the Hot Topic stuff. RAW is terrible, at least their red is. I bleached my hair a pretty light blonde earlier this year, used toner, waited a few days, then used the blood red RAW, it only lasted about a week and a half before it was really faded and ugly. Put the Special Effects blood red on once the RAW crap had faded some more, that looked better to begin with and lasted over a month. For reds and oranges, Special Effects is the best hands down (out of those I've tried, no where around here carries Punky Colours, but I wish they did, they have a better variety), Manic Panic has always been garbage for me and the people who's hair I've helped dye, there's a reason it's half the price of the better stuff.

Manic Panic's lava orange was one of the worst dyes I ever used. On bleached hair, I had dyed it on a Thursday, it was faded enough by the following Monday to return to work without removing it and my managers didn't notice. I've not tried Hot Topic's other brand, Color Fiend, but two HT employees both said it was crap compared to the Special Effects they used to sell. I am saddened that they got rid of the SE brand, although I did manage to pick up several bottles of their Wildflower and Blood Red for about $3 each when they were on clearance there. It blows though, because they were like the only place in town that sold them save for some specialty hair store across town that wants $16 a bottle.

Anyways, tl;dr,

Try to go with Punky Colours or Special Effect's orange if you can, a lot of the other stuff doesn't look as bright or last very long.
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote