Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > MegaCon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
makeshiftwings

Megacon's Costume Contest

Okay so... if I gather the nerves, I'm gonna participate in Megacon's costume contest. I'd like to know a little bit about it though, since I never went to their costume contest - what's it like? I'd imagine it's absolutely gigantic.

I don't know who I'm going to submit, which leads me to my next question. Pit I will have revamped the wings to be bigger and better by then, so I will be completely confident with my costume. Plus, he's easily recognizable. I hope Lion Sora will turn out good. I think the craftsmanship of this costume will be more impressive - I'll have used Wonderflex, Paperclay, beading, painting, and of course just sewing by the end of it. However, it's an intrepretation of Lion Sora, not a fursuit and not quite a gijinka... How do judges receive original designs?

Thanks all
AFO - Possessed Wander (Friday); Earth Kingdom Toph with Fire Nation Cloak (Saturday & Sunday)
Dragon*con - Toph Bei Fong (Sunday)

Planned Cosplays

Okami Amaterasu (Planning) [Completion Date: ???]
makeshiftwings is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
Yorukanji
Love Top Hats

i have never participated in it either XD. but from what i saw in March...it is huge. the line was so long, it practically stretched across the entire third floor 0.o

from what i could tell, the judges seemed to be going for the more original outfits. i guess it all depends which costume you would feel better showing off ^.^ aaaaannnnndddd...GOOD LUCK :3
Someone from Anima+ (not sure who yet)(third day)
Yorukanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
makeshiftwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorukanji View Post
i have never participated in it either XD. but from what i saw in March...it is huge. the line was so long, it practically stretched across the entire third floor 0.o

from what i could tell, the judges seemed to be going for the more original outfits. i guess it all depends which costume you would feel better showing off ^.^ aaaaannnnndddd...GOOD LUCK :3
XD Thanks.
AFO - Possessed Wander (Friday); Earth Kingdom Toph with Fire Nation Cloak (Saturday & Sunday)

Planned Cosplays

Unread 10-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
JFBount
President of Hyperion

are musical performances allowed (i.e. Saxophone) =p ?
So Han’s walking down the halls of Bespin with his old friend Lando. Leia’s there, and lookin’ good. Han thinks he’s off to dinner - maybe some wine, a little flirting, and then back to the ol’ guest quarters with Her Hotness. But the door opens, and there’s Vader. ...Han doesn’t look at Lando; he doesn’t duck or run. What does Han do?

He starts shooting at the bastard.

He starts shooting.

Be like Han.
JFBount is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
makeshiftwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFBount View Post
XD You wanna do that for the costume contest? Or the cosplay contest?

Planned Cosplays

Unread 10-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
Yorukanji
Love Top Hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFBount View Post
*gasp* nah way O.O is that you???? your the guy who found me on facebook right??? lol i looked on your profile and saw the picture of the duck duck goose game .

in reply to question...i really don't know. musical talent can't hurt your chances
Someone from Anima+ (not sure who yet)(third day)
Yorukanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #7
JFBount
President of Hyperion

hahaha yeah that was a while back now wasnt it ... that duck duck goose game was still proabably the highlight of Megacon 08 for me but 09 its all about Saxophone Godot
So Han’s walking down the halls of Bespin with his old friend Lando. Leia’s there, and lookin’ good. Han thinks he’s off to dinner - maybe some wine, a little flirting, and then back to the ol’ guest quarters with Her Hotness. But the door opens, and there’s Vader. ...Han doesn’t look at Lando; he doesn’t duck or run. What does Han do?

He starts shooting at the bastard.

He starts shooting.

Be like Han.
JFBount is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #8
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

Megacon is the largest costume contest in Florida, usually around 120 entries or so, and is craftsmanship only, meaning, no skits/performances. I haven't entered for a few years now, but hopefully will be entering again this year as long as my costumes get done for it in time. It's really up to the judge's discretion in terms of originality, but the only costumes that can win awards are from Japanese origination, as in, characters from games and series (anime, manga, historical, music) that originated in Japan. This is the entry criteria for Mega.

2014 Conventions :
Katsucon (Washington, DC) - Megacon (FL) - Colossalcon (OH) - Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, Edea Lee (various costmes) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2008, 09:01 PM   #9
makeshiftwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hime no Toki View Post
Megacon is the largest costume contest in Florida, usually around 120 entries or so, and is craftsmanship only, meaning, no skits/performances. I haven't entered for a few years now, but hopefully will be entering again this year as long as my costumes get done for it in time. It's really up to the judge's discretion in terms of originality, but the only costumes that can win awards are from Japanese origination, as in, characters from games and series (anime, manga, historical, music) that originated in Japan. This is the entry criteria for Mega.
Hmm okay X3 Guess I'm safe either way then.

Who are you planning on entering?

Planned Cosplays

Unread 10-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

Count Waltz and Jazz from Eternal Sonata, my boyfriend and I will start working on the costumes soon. I have a lot ahead of me, mostly stress, lol.

2014 Conventions :
Katsucon (Washington, DC) - Megacon (FL) - Colossalcon (OH) - Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, Edea Lee (various costmes) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #11
makeshiftwings

Oooh fun XD

Well good luck!

Planned Cosplays

Unread 10-08-2008, 03:23 PM   #12
Foos
Monster Hunter Addict!

Actually, skits are allowed. The sound quality and stage space just isn't very good for it, and there aren't any awards (though you can qualify for fan favorite). Usually the info goes up right after the first of the year so you can pre-register as well as have time contraints and skit-related questions answered. I wouldn't recommend trying to perform, as that thing is better suited to traditional cosplay contests with proper sound, space and judging. But it's up to you!

I would highly recommend pre-judging, as it will shorten the time spent in line as well as get you judged early enough in the day so you can still change out of your costume and goof off if you want.
Foos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #13
makeshiftwings

Another question:

Can you be barefoot for the contest? I know you can't in the actual con, but the contest... idk.

Planned Cosplays

Unread 10-10-2008, 12:03 AM   #14
Foos
Monster Hunter Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeshiftwings View Post
Another question:

Can you be barefoot for the contest? I know you can't in the actual con, but the contest... idk.
If you had sandals on that you slipped off right before the stagewalk, I don't see why they'd care XD
Foos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #15
makeshiftwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foos View Post
If you had sandals on that you slipped off right before the stagewalk, I don't see why they'd care XD
XD Alright.

Planned Cosplays