Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > MikomiCon

Unread 10-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
DeathMetalNinja
No Ninja Is Louder!!

MikomiCon 2008 Concert Feedback

Hey guys, I haven't gotten much review of the bands for this year so I want to try here.

I want to know everything you thought about with the bands for MikomiCon 2008.

Band List:
The Black Crystals
VAEIDOS
Eyeshine
Stephanie Yanez
Makenai

~Death Metal Ninja
MikomiCon Concerts Coordinator

Last edited by DeathMetalNinja : 10-04-2008 at 04:36 PM.
DeathMetalNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2008, 04:39 AM   #2
livengood
Jojofags-r-us

I apologize if I don't remember the name of the band. The one that played on Saturday, somewhere between 10AM and 3PM, with the female vocalist.

I have to say honestly, I did not like them as a band. Not only did they repeat a song during their set(they didn't even play a lot of songs, there was no reason to repeat any songs)

The female lead singer, while okay during normal lyric singing, when she was singing non lyrical vocal work(I don't even know what she was singing, I believe it was the last song they played). It was TERRIBLE. I mean, literal I was gritting my teeth and walking away from the area as quickly as possible. She needs to stick to lyrics, it's what she was doing well on.
AC Paradise Deviantart
livengood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
Sensei Rose
Part-time Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by livengood View Post
I apologize if I don't remember the name of the band. The one that played on Saturday, somewhere between 10AM and 3PM, with the female vocalist.

I have to say honestly, I did not like them as a band. Not only did they repeat a song during their set(they didn't even play a lot of songs, there was no reason to repeat any songs)

The female lead singer, while okay during normal lyric singing, when she was singing non lyrical vocal work(I don't even know what she was singing, I believe it was the last song they played). It was TERRIBLE. I mean, literal I was gritting my teeth and walking away from the area as quickly as possible. She needs to stick to lyrics, it's what she was doing well on.
That would be the Black Crystals, and the female singer is Alie (she is also from the 4-woman group OiC). She tried to sing the last song, Noir's 'Canta Per Me', in a really high soprano voice, and my guess it was just for comedic effect. I can understand why it wouldn't work in a rock venue such as this.
Sensei Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2008, 11:56 PM   #4
livengood
Jojofags-r-us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei Rose View Post
That would be the Black Crystals, and the female singer is Alie (she is also from the 4-woman group OiC). She tried to sing the last song, Noir's 'Canta Per Me', in a really high soprano voice, and my guess it was just for comedic effect. I can understand why it wouldn't work in a rock venue such as this.
I wouldn't consider it comedic effect when it was like that for the WHOLE song. It's one thing to try to be funny, it's another when you're making people want to punch you in the face for making their ears hurt. especially considering the people who I was with did not find it funny in the least. She wants to be funny, tell some jokes. Not try to hurt people's ear drums.

The venue had nothing to do with it.
AC Paradise Deviantart

Last edited by livengood : 10-07-2008 at 01:17 AM.
livengood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2008, 01:09 AM   #5
daoutlaw
Emergency! Dekaranger!

I did not like Stephanie Yanez's singing at all.
Unread 10-09-2008, 02:11 AM   #6
Sensei Rose
Part-time Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daoutlaw View Post
I did not like Stephanie Yanez's singing at all.
I DID. She still has a ways to go, but she's getting there.
Sensei Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2008, 10:56 PM   #7
DeathMetalNinja
No Ninja Is Louder!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livengood View Post

I spoke with the band and they did not repeat any songs during their set. And they started their set early and ended on time. So I don't know what you mean by having a short set...

The last song they played was done with some comedic meaning, but I didn't really approve of it either.